Generator service - points setting - Onan 4.0 BFA-D?

Started by M & J, May 06, 2013, 02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M & J

Before I tackeled the ceiling, I had the parts to do service on my 4.0 BFA - G. Filters, plugs & earl.
I was going to get the points and condensor, but the parts guy said it was a task to change and set the points. He led me to believe they were down inside the engine and you needed a mirror and luck to get them replaced and set. So I bailed on that.
However, in checking the genny over I see what the manual describes as the points cover and it's right on top behind the carb/manifold.
What I dont know is how to turn the engine over slowly - with a wrench I hope - to set the point gap.
Anyone?
M & J

DaveVA78Chieftain

Far as I have been able to determine Onan only had BFA Specs A thru D (no G).  The ignition components are located under a box on top of the engine behind the carburetor.  You do have all four manuals for this right (Install, Operators, Parts, and Maintenance)?

Dave
[move][/move]

M & J

It is a -D. Sorry about that. And yes, I have original manuals. But only 3, routine maintenance is covered in the owners manual. I dont have the maintenance manual.
M & J

ClydesdaleKevin

Good question.  My points on my 89 Emerald 3 are right on top and I cleaned them with a business card and got the genny running again.  I'd love to know if there is an easy way with a wrench to move the crank and cam to adjust the silly thing.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Top of this page select  "Member Area", "Manuals., Documents, and Tech Info";
Scroll down the Table of Contents section to bottom left, select Onan. 
Scroll down the lower window in a window to BFA.  Select the link you need (900-0337).  That manual covers several models of Onans that are simular.  Point replacement is on pdf page 26.
And a little picture help  ;)
http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showpost.php?p=211678&postcount=5

Dave

[move][/move]

M & J

Been there and had already read thru the online docs doc Dave.
What I have and what I read it says to turn the engine with the flywheel nut. But its under fan housing you cant remove with the genny in place. I'll poke around and see what I find and the pics were great to confirm.
M & J