Soggy wood paneling

Started by cs641, February 08, 2016, 03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cs641

It appears several of my windows are leaking and the wood panel below is soggy and separating. What's a good method to seal the windows and repair the panel?

SLEETH

sounds like they need to be removed & resealed (windows)
now the paneling is a different story=need to do exploratory surgery if  you want to fix them right

cs641

I was afraid of that. Next question is what's most likely behind the paneling and how thick should the paneling be? The paneling isn't structural(doubtful but unsure), is it? My coach has a fibreglass outer shell so is there wood that bears the structural load(like a home) or will it be aluminum with insulation between the load bearing members and paneling over top?

I'm just thinking worst case scenario if I have to pull it all out.

tiinytina

paneling is house grade so 1/4" at most.  As for support.. some RV's are wood, others are tube aluminum... depends on the maker....  given 1975 guessing wood but not familiar with your make.  Ours has similar damage around nose side windows, no longer damp but the damage was done.. and i'm trying my best to ignore it as know that doing it right is more than I have patience or time for... ours is aluminum tube structure glass nose and tail, and aluminum sides. 
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

CoastalWinnebago

I would suggest first addressing the water leak.  I did this same project about a month ago.  I used a product called etrnabond double sided tape.  This stuff is STICKY, and hopefully with the proper prep work it will hold for many years.

I took the window off (may descriptions on how to do so in searches) stripped the old calk and silicone with a razor blade and acetone.  I spent a good deal of time removing and cleaning from the window frame.  I then sanded away the paint around the window trim, repainted with direct to metal acrylic.  After drying I applied the etrnabond tape around the window.  Mounted the window back into the hole and screwed it in from the inside. 

For the soggy wood paneling.  I would suggest first spraying it with some anti-mold 409 or bleach to kill any mold growth.  Put a de-humidifyer inside and you might get lucky enough for it to dry out and not delaminate.  If you are particular about ascetics and the paneling delaminates, you have a few options.  1. tear it all off down to the foam and build back with new veneer. 2. peel off top layer, sand and paint the whole wall. 

Good luck.