Sold our RV...

Started by Lefty, June 15, 2013, 12:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lefty

Well,
Once again I'm without an RV... :(
I got an offer for our '88 Georgie Boy that was just too good to pass up. One of the people that goes to Church with my roommate Frank had a '94 F-350 Crew Cab Dually, with a 7.3L turbo diesel (non-Power Stroke) in really good shape and offered to swap even with me for the Georgie Boy.

I thought it over and decided to take the deal. Here's why. First off, the Georgie Boy is needing a new roof. It had the original rubber roof on it and they last about 20yrs.. it was 25yrs old. It had started to leak in the rear bedroom area, but had not done any interior damage yet.. but would very soon if I didn't replace the rubber roof. It also needed a spare and the brakes worked on again.
The secondary reason is, We owned a Class A Winnebago and had a brake failure going down a mountain and nearly got killed... And my roommate just never got over that and has been scared to ride in or drive the Georgie Boy... We took it on a couple trips, but he just was never comfortable in it. On the other hand, I've towed a trailer for years and he is perfectly comfortable in a pickup with me towing any size trailer.
The Ford is exactly what I've always wanted. I've always loved the 86-97 F-series trucks, and with it being a turbo diesel 1 ton dually it will pull anything I get. It's set up already for heavy towing, and with the crew cab we have a place ideal for our dogs to ride in Air Conditioning. The truck is in extremely good shape inside & out, and runs like a brand new truck.

Another reson is, I actually only had about $2,500 total invested in the Georgie Boy... having bought it for only $1,800 and spent just a few hundred fixing everything that was wrong with it.  The truck on the other hand is worth about $6,000  Making it a very good swap (at least for me).

I'm hoping to now find a good sized travel trailer. I've looked at two possibles, a '94 '35 Holiday Rambler w/ no slides but near immaculate for $7,900 and a '98 Jayco '38 bunkhouse w/ 2 bedrooms and 3 slides (one in living room/dining room, one in the kitchen on other side, and one in front bedroom (master) for $6,800
Don't know which we will get, or if we will get either one yet. I'll keep you guys posted.

Here's a couple shots of the truck. Enjoy

I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

Lefty

Heres what it looked like before I cleaned it up...

Lefty

Here's after...
4 days of polishing, buffing, waxing, shampooing carpets & seats, installed new headliner, etc... I think it looks pretty good.

Stripe

Wow! Nice.  You found yourself one heck of a workhorse!
I say enjoy it!

Fredric
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

LJ-TJ

And I thought Jessy James was dead.

ClydesdaleKevin

Nice truck!  I'd say go for the Holiday Rambler...lol!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Froggy1936

Yep thats a TRUCK It was made for pulling a large trailer Dual fuel tanks too I think you will find just the right rig to put behind it. After living in an RV for a wile I think a trailer is a better way to travel as you are not stuck whereever you set up camp . You have the tow veh to sightsee . Even with a small class C it is hard to find places to park At  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Oz

RV or Travel Trailer (5th wheel).  It's a decision that weighs heavy with pluses and minuses on both sides, as the topic we have discussing them shows in detail.  The choice, ultimately, is that which best suits the needs of the owner.  Nice truck.  They can be found for good prices, that's for sure.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

maxximuss

Looks good! Kinda was a tossup for us on a trailer or a RV. We didn't have a truck at the time we got our RV or I probably would have bought a trailer. The fact we have a big family and no truck played heavy on getting a RV, and it basically fell into our lap when we really were not looking for one even though we always wanted one. So about 7 / 8 months later we now have a truck due to the fact we wanted a boat and the Chrysler 300 was not going to cut it to tow it. Any way as Mark said either/or really depends on what you need and want. However for me I probably would not have found this great forum if it were not for getting the RV. We plan on keeping the RV, I am sad to say I'm addicted to RV's now. I think I have sickness for which there is no cure, something that was for only cars. However I'm all so glad to see it looks like I'm not the only one. I hope I'm not the only one who googles RV's just to look at them as well as see whats for sale....hummm I know I'm not.