Kohler CKM21 RV filter question

Started by Stripe, April 25, 2013, 01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stripe

Ok, so what can only be called a "ARGHHH!!!" moment, while I was inspecting the genny fuel pump/filter, I got a bit to over zealous in the inspection. I pulled the retainer spring for the "doohicky" in the middle and took it out.  Well, the spring decided to momentarily stick as I pulled the center cylinder out and then "SPROING!" Out it came with other bits. There are no diagrams whatsoever as to what order those "bits" go back in, not even in the engine service manual or parts diagram.
Any help will be appreciated.. :)
In  my defense, I did discover that the rubber bit on the end of the cylinder does need replacing.

Fredric
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Stripe

Thanks for the bump Mark, I almost totally forgot about this. 

I solved this on my own.  What I did was bought a new pump anyway(the rubber gasket on the pump cover had disintegrated during refit).
But, in the interest of science, helping others with this problem and other things I made up in my head but will not post here, I decided to CAREFULLY remove the central core bits of the new pump to see how it was put together.

First up is a pic of the "core bits" from the old pump

Next up is putting together the plastic nipply thing along with the three bits o brass and the rubber O ring. Here is a closeup of the parts before assembly.

The Plastic part goes into the brass ring post end UP, after that the very small spring goes on the post end of the plastic part then comes the tripod looking part with the feet down so that the end with the hole is in the upright position and gets pressed into the brass ring, if it's loose and wants to come out, just prise them a bit so they get a grip on the inner part of the ring. then turn the assembled parts over and place the O ring center on the brass ring after that the brass washer sits on the O ring. as in the next photo (the new pump part I used as reference).

Now to put it all back into the pump. 
First make sure your filter element is in place then the silver metal cylinder with the rubber gasketed end going in firsts, then the spring goes on top of that, and after that goes the brass assembly plastic shaft first. Then while holding the whole thing down, take the retaining spring and insert each end into the tube to hold all the core parts in.

The main problems I found with the old pump were the rubber gaskets on the cylinder end and the cover.  Due to their deterioration the pump lost its ability to draw fuel from the tank.

Hope this helps,

Fredric

Fredric,

M & J

Very nice pictorial recap CoachmanM500.
M & J

Stripe

Thank you.  Had to switch to photobucket as my pic host, somehow Picassa just wasn't cutting it.
Fredric,