Mike's 1973 D22 Complete tear out. From the Roof down!

Started by RockwoodMike, September 25, 2019, 11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RockwoodMike and 17 Guests are viewing this topic.

RockwoodMike

I checked to be sure the bearings would slide on the hub shaft nice..The inner(big) wasn't nice!!

Pic 1..After 50+ years and 1000s of miles you can see the pounding(not much) the shaft takes..

Pic 2..Emery paper to smooth it out and the bearing slides on now..Before it would just jam up

Pic 3..Outer area of the smaller bearing..The bearing was chattering because it wasn't adjusted right..More emery paper smoothing..

Pic 4..Bearings are all ready to go together..Threads on the adjusting nut are smooth
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

RockwoodMike

Found a power steering pressure side hose..1 to install and a spare to carry where ever I go..Gotta start collecting spare parts to carry on the coach
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

RockwoodMike

Pic 1..Emergency cables all set up..

Pic 2..Emergency brake handle.

Pic 3..Drum and hubs on..Brake shoes adjusted..

Pic 4..Work on the front calipers tomorrow..

Eyez Open

Ahh dual pistons,nice setup. GM uses a single piston in my 83,odd how they cheaped out. Are you going to hone those cylinders out? Never seen a caliper sandblated before,little paint and just like new.

RockwoodMike

Quote from: Eyez Open on April 16, 2024, 01:10 AMAre you going to hone those cylinders out?

No..You are not suppose to do that..With moisture in the brake fluid, it will cause pits in the walls of the open bore..But if you hone the bore you make it bigger possible causing the piston to seize because it tilts in the larger bore..

The seal is the piston and the square cut o ring..If the piston has pits in it, then you will need to find a new piston..Simpler to find a rebuild..

My pistons are very smooth..A little 3M scotch bright and they cleaned right up..

Quote from: Eyez Open on April 16, 2024, 01:10 AMlittle paint

Paint!! Paint??  It's powder coat or nothing!! :grin:

After sand blasting, then into the sink with Simple Green to wash dust and grit away..Blow dry and then into the oven to burn out any oils or moisture out..400 degrees for an hour or so..

Let them cool down..And it's time for powder!!

Mechanical engineering states that anything made in Red will be more powerful..go faster..have more duration and with brake calipers, make you stop faster!! ;)  :laugh:

So I have a color called Blood Red..Here are the pictures..

Pic 1..Hung up and ready to powder..

Pic 2..Powdered..

Pic 3..Out of the oven..400 degrees..1 hour

RockwoodMike

All done..just need to install seals and pistons

RockwoodMike