What is a Monomatic toilet/commode?

Started by Missy-Mae, April 22, 2013, 04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Missy-Mae

:-[ Hi just bought a 1970  22ft winni and am trying to get my head around all the systems the monomatic toilet is a mystery can anyone help
Cheers les

DaveVA78Chieftain

Is this what you are looking for?

If so then all the information you need is at this link.
http://www.nationalserroscotty.org/resources/manual-monomatic.html

I do not believe that was originally used by Winnebago.

Dave

PS: All I did was google "monomatic toilet"
[move][/move]

ibdilbert01

Kinda funny, as I was just talking about these toilets to a guy at work today.

My 1970 came with one from the Winnebago factory, they were considered an optional upgrade.   

To quote the Winnebago manual (printed in 69)...

Monomatic Toilets (Optional Equipment)

This operates on the principle of recirculating a chemical solution.  Thus, you are not using fresh water for flushing, and you are not adding water volume to the holding tank with each flush.  Do not be afraid to empty and change the solution often.

TO FLUSH

Flushing system operate by simply pressing the black button.  To aid flushing, first lay some tissue in the bowl - see instruction on inside of toilet seat lid.   The blue chemical solution washes the material into the bottom of the toilet.  This same solution is available for the next flushing, automatically.   The manufacturer claims the unit can be used for many flushes before being emptied.  When the color changes from blue to greenish, empty an change the chemical.

TO EMPTY

1. Remove plastic baseboard from toilet (This will expose a black valve handle)

2. Release springs from handle and pull handle toward you (this opens a valve which allows the waist material and chemical to drop into the holding tank).

3. About eight gallons of sewage are then put into the 30 gallon holding tank.  If only the toilet is being routed to the holding tank, you could put 3 "emptyings" into the holding tank and be using a fourth change in the monomatic before you would have to empty the holding tank.

TO REFILL

1.  Push handle in, into the "closed" position.

2. Snap the springs back into position on both sides of the handle.

3. Add four gallons of water to the toilet

4. Add a package of the chemical powder to the water in the bowl as the water is flushing (instructions printed on back of chemical packet).  This will make a fresh solution and the unit can be used for another series of flushes.

You were suppose to get about 80 flushes on 4 gallons.   At the time I'm sure this was a great option, as holding tanks were small and usually not split up into black and gray tanks.   I never used mine, it was the first thing I replaced.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

Missy-Mae

Thanks for your help I now know what iam dealing with
I live just outside London England and there's not that many classic winnibago's around here so I may ask some more funny questions soon
Cheers.  Les

DaveVA78Chieftain

Feel free to ask anything you need.  We all had to start somewhere.

Dave
[move][/move]

ClydesdaleKevin

One advantage I see to your Monomatic toilet as opposed to a standard RV toilet and holding tank system is that, living in the UK with its scarcity of RV parks and dump stations,  you have the option of carrying the Monomatic into a public restroom and dumping it into a toilet.  Not a pleasant task, but if its not too hard to detach from the floor it might be an option, especially if its not too heavy. 

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Oz

You've got several friends in the UK with vintage Winnebagos.  Ian Jupp is one who's been with us for 10 years, in Farnborough... in fact, there's over 20 members in the UK.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Edmather

Hi, me included. I've got Ians old Winnie now. We are based in Hampshire. Where are you? and guess what? I can't get my head round the monomatic either. Doesn't seem to fill from the black leaver at the back, but the flush mech seems to work ok.  Wondering if I can just fill via the bowl. Any ideas?
Ed

legomybago

I had one in my 1970 Open Road, I would take a 5 gallon bucket and pour into the bowl, then add some smell good stuff, use for the weekend. Worked great! The Open Road I had only had 1 grey water tank, no black tank, So when time to dump the toilet, hook up your sewer hose (outside of rig), pull the valve on the bottom of the toilet (inside the rig), let the good times roll.....
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Stripe

Hey Ed if you look at the third post from IbDilbert the last part of what he posts says to add 4 gallons of water to the unit.  I take this as either being done via buckets, hose or ??  Looking at the installation PDF suggests no water hookup unless you have the "W" model.
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Missy-Mae

Hi I am in Essex and put 4gallons down the pan the last chemical we got was called Richard the  third  hands up all those who know Cockney rhyming slang
Cheers Les

TerryH

Haven't heard that one since I was a kid and my Grandmother (British immigrant) was babysitting.

BTW - the rhyming slang is "turd" :D :D
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

jjustad

I have a mystery fuse in the 72 D22 I just bought.  It is in the back by the spare tire and is labeled: MONO.
Would this have been for a Monomatic Toilet originally?

Oz

If it had the W monomatic model, it would have a fuse since it was wired into the 12 volt system.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca