fuel gauge not showing proper levels

Started by Stripe, April 22, 2013, 04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stripe

My fuel gauge does not show the correct levels in my tank.  Is this part removable/repairable?  I've refurbished the one on my Porsche 944 including cleaning the contacts and traces on the dash circuit board and it now works nicely. Is it possible to do the same on the HR Imperial P30?

CMM500
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

DaveVA78Chieftain

I am fairly sure this is the process for an early 80's chassis:

The fuel sending unit is just an ohm meter so to speak., It reads 0 ohms when empty and 90 ohms when full.

A loose ground wire from sender will cause this prob too.

Check for the ground wire 1st. If thats not it you are going have to drop the tankl again and check the sender with a VOM (volt ohm meter).

If it don't read 0 ohms when float arm is all the way down and 90 ohms when all the way up.. The sender is bad

Dave
[move][/move]

cncsparky

I've read some RV's have an access panel to the sending unit through the floor.  If you can get at it easily, disconnect the sending unit wire and short it against the chassis, tank etc.  With the ignition on, it should read ''empty" , if it does then your wiring up through the gauges is ok.  Like Dave said, it is a 0 to 90 ohm system so any additional resistance through rust, corrosion etc will cause the readings to be off.  A good ground to the tank is important. 
-Tom

Stripe

Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

ClydesdaleKevin

Mine has been a little wonky since I installed the new electric fuel pump in the tank and the new Edlebrock carb.  Under load the needle drops way down and starts bobbing up and down, unless the secondaries are opened, and then its steady.  As soon as I let up on the gas, the needle goes to normal and shows me the fuel level accurately.  Not gonna mess with it unless it gets worse. 

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.