318 to 360 swap 1975 D-19

Started by MinnieWinnie_75, January 08, 2022, 04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MinnieWinnie_75

Hey everyone! My 318 is finally dead in my 1975 Winnie D-19 😢, but on to newer and better things! Does anyone have experience with swapping engines? I'm wondering if a 360 would be a direct swap or if i should just stick to another 318? I would like to purchase a restored long block and try to reuse as many parts as possible, but i don't have experience with which parts i can reuse and what the hurdles are for swapping to a 360. I've read a little about a clutch weight/balancing issue, but other than that i'm at a loss.

any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

eXodus

I don't know anything about this particular combination of engines. But in general Engine swaps:

It all boils down to - availability of:
- Time
- Tools
- Skills
- Documentation and community knowledge
- Money

While you could reuse a bunch of the parts of your old engine - you can probably just get a fully furnished newer engine from the junkyard.
Moving all the parts from an old engine - to a new long block - takes time and skill and some of the old parts may be broken and you don't know yet.

Are you interested in keeping everything original or do you want to have a more modern drivetrain?

You could scout for one of the popular swap engines.  A LS or Hemi - you find those things for a few hundred bucks (500-1500) with all parts on the junkyards.
Get a standalone computer and wiring harness for $1000 and you are good to go.

But there is a lot of small details you need to change for a swap like this - when you stay original everything should fit mechanical.
It all boils down to how much time you want to invest in this project.

Elandan2

A 360 is the same block as a 318 and will bolt right in. The 360 is externally balanced, so it will have to have a 360 specific harmonic balancer and flex plate. Other than that, all the other engine components such as power steering, alternator, pulleys, etc., will bolt right on.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

LJ-TJ

Just find a good working  440 all ready hooked up to a 727 trans and bolt it in. You'll get the same milage and the performace differance is unbelieveable.  Hm? If Dave's hanging around or Richard they will walk you right through it. Those boys know there stuff as well as Elandan2. :)ThmbUp

Mlw

As you are saying: on to better things,

How is the 440 in the mountains? and is it really the case the 440 uses the same amount of fuel as a 318?

I bought the RV for nostalgic reasons. The fun we had going on trips in the early '80's but I also vividly remember the long lines of cars in the mountain areas of Germany or France behind the RV when we were climbing. Back then most people understood that you couldn't go fast and were thankfull you let them pass as the possibility was there but that chivalry is since long gone, at least in Europe.

and of course this is over the top but doesn't this put a smile on your face  :D :D :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9dFZDt1mPY

All I want to say, now the possibility emerge, carefully way your options because it will cost you no matter what.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VthMTy44vUo

LJ-TJ

So I've had a 1975 21'er 318 and a 1975 21'er 440. Night and day. Call it the way you will but there night and day differance. The 318 was a dog on hills and in a head wind and there were a few times I was wondering if I was going to make the hill. The 440 was a breeze. We were passing cars on the hill. We kept track of fuel milage and again your always going to get the good days down hill with a tail wind and get 10 miles to the gallon. 440,318 your going to get 5 to 8 miles to the gallon. There's always that engine that accicently got out of the skunk works and gets 22 miles to the gallon. NOT. So in somation if given the choice. I'd always take the 440 over the 318. Owning a motorhome is always going to be a treate. Taking the motorhome out is always going to be a special day out. Taking it out will always be a family adventure and beat a cruse any day of the week. Ya never know whats around the next bend. Hm?

eXodus

318 vs 440

HP:  145-185
Torque:  255-260

440:
HP:  225-255
Torque: 360

No wonder that the 440 flies up the hills.

Mlw

:D :D :D

OK, I seem to remember that i even read somebody complain climbing a mountain with a 440 and the reason for this given was that the 440 is also a low compression engine.

The RV we had in the early '80s was a Dodge Bendix Centurion and there is nothing to find about it anymore as Bendix only made RV's for a short time. I also wouldn't know what engine was in it and as my dad passed away 14 years ago now so I can't ask him anymore.

It were good times do, so good I have a similar USA RV myself now and can't wait to go on the road with my godchildren.

MinnieWinnie_75

Thanks for the advice! My initial instinct was to stray away from the 440 or an LS bc of the amount of fabrication and parts i'd have to swap to mount up to my 727 trans. I'm looking for the most cost effective solution that would get me a working engine. If the 360 bolts right up and takes a majority of my 318's components i feel likes that's worth the added HP and torque for the money.

Other than the externally balanced flywheel, Is there anything else i need to consider for this swap?

thanks again!

Elandan2

You will need a flex plate and harmonic balancer for a 360. You may also want an aftermarket  4 barrel intake.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

eXodus

new Gaskets, new bolts.

All new hoses and belts when you are already in there.  Try to service everything when you got easy access.