Upgrading power steering column

Started by Bill Hime, July 22, 2017, 02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Hime

I didn't find this in my search; Has anyone looked into installing a newer power steering column in to their older RV?

Thanks!  Bill
And the journey begins....!

Xbird

Having thoughts about installing a chevy equinox electric power steering unit in the future. Did one a couple months back in my little off road race buggy, would take some doing to deal with the turn signals and rewire the ignition switch but it would provide a tilt adjustable column and for $55 there's a little black box that wires in to bypass the engine/computer signal and gives a dial adjustable steering effort. 

Rickf1985

You are playing with fire there! Putting a small car electric steering in a 12,000 lb. motor home is a liability lawyers dream. I couldn't even begin to address how you would hook up all the linkages, That is rack and pinion isn't it? re-engineering anything on a vehicles steering or brakes is setting yourself up for all kinds of lawsuits if something goes wrong. Doesn't even have to be your fault, someone could run into you and then you run into someone else because of that and when they inspect the vehicles and see the modifications and ask for the DOT certifications and you do not have them, (you won't) you are in DEEP, DEEP doo doo! I used to go through this with four wheel drive conversions and it was really tough getting certifications even using factory parts. All welds and connections have to be individually checked and certed. This is not cheap.

Bill Hime

Quote from: Xbird on July 22, 2017, 06:17 PM
Having thoughts about installing a chevy equinox electric power steering unit in the future. Did one a couple months back in my little off road race buggy, would take some doing to deal with the turn signals and rewire the ignition switch but it would provide a tilt adjustable column and for $55 there's a little black box that wires in to bypass the engine/computer signal and gives a dial adjustable steering effort.

I agree with Rick, those vehicles are worlds apart. I would repose the question, if using the entire steering column/linkage perhaps out of a newer dodge truck chasis could be a possible solution?
If not, what could a person do to improve the steering in their 76' m400 dodge/winni?

Thanks, Bill
And the journey begins....!

Oz

I do remember someone replacing the old, pedal operated, tilt column with a newer, compatible column which tilts at the top.  Not sure what it came from, it's been quite a while.

Maybe someone can shed some light on that?
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca