How tight do you wind your awning?

Started by ibdilbert01, May 14, 2009, 11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ibdilbert01

Sent: 7/2/2008

I have no idea what brand my awning is, not really sure if I need to know either. I can't find any tags or indications of a brand stamped on it. I ordered an A&E Awning replacement fabric last night and might have got carried away. My awning tube measures 16'6". The replacement measures 15'8". I imagine it will not be a big deal if its a bit short on the ends, other than looks and if I get that picky, I'll cut the tube down, the awning hardware is in the garage where we've been working on it.

Hopefully I have an A&E or something that the slot rail on the camper and the slot on the awning tube will be compatible with, if not, I'll have to get creative with the sewing machine.

I do have a question, how tight should I wind the springs with the awning in the storage position? A full revolution? More?

Maybe this is going about this wrong, but I figure I will slide the awning into the slot on the camper, then slide the other end into the tube grove, and hand wind it to its storage position, give it a good rotation (or more) and be done with it?

Also the end caps on mine were a bit messed up, so we managed to fix that by riveting steel plates on the ends, I posted a picture in my album of the finished end caps.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

ibdilbert01

Sent: 7/27/2008

A Quick update. The material I bought on eBay fit just fine! I've read the horror stories about people trying to wind the springs and was a bit worried. I think I am lucky and must have a newer easier awning to work with.

The whole process did take a few hours, but we did have to remount all the hardware and make some modifications to the end caps on the roller. I also pulled the springs out of the roller and re-greased them in hopes it will keep them from rusting and binding up.

To my surprise installing the fabric and winding the springs was not that hard of a job at all.

We rolled the fabric on the roller fist. Then slid the roller and awning down the channel on the RV. We loaded the springs with the awning in the upright position with 4 turns each.

Now I must say, originally we tried to load the springs with the awning in the down position and guessed at about 15 turns. After the 10th turn I realized there was some potential danger with loosing some of my fingers if that thing let loose.
Dad and I then took a coke and an ice cream break and decided it made since to wind the springs with the awning up, as we wouldn't have to wind the springs very much at all.

At this point the awning works better than ever, I'm happy with the outcome so far.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

Slantsixness

Never wind your awning too tight.
yeah it'll be fun when it rolls up completely, but the mainspring will snap one day... when you need it most!

After the spring is engaged or loaded (you'll have to "feel" this the leading cap/spring adjustment will begin to resist movement, like an old wind up toy, but on a much larger scale) 4 turns (complete turns)on the leading (front of RV) side is normal. 10 or 12 complete turns can be dangerous... and might break the first time you pull thge awning open. (but this is not accounting for spring wear or older awnings.. you'll "feel" it when its right)
Better to be safe then sorry.. let it stay a little loose, and make 1 turn adjustments and try it until it feels right and operates like its supposed to.

Oh yeah... which way do you turn it?? they're all marked with an arrow, but if no arrow and the lever is in the retract/ lock position, it will only turn one way...:)

here's another old trick:
how to make your awning tight:
set up your awning. be sure to install the lock arms on the top and fastened intot the stays.
Flip the awning lever to retract. pull down slightly on the main roller (a clockwise turning motion) your awning will be tight!
now flip the retract lever back. (or you're kid will bump into one of the arms and your awning will retract.. right about the time you say aw s#$%^...!!

Ever notice the new campers with their awning all saggy and the old rageddy campers (like all of ours!) have tight awnings? Now you know why...

Tom
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...