1983 Holiday Rambler Imperial 33' - I've lost my mind!

Started by Espiritus, April 14, 2013, 04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Espiritus

Well, as I sat inside my "new to me" 1983 Holiday Rambler Imperial, looking both left to right at the sheer size of this behemoth, I became overwhelmed by the thought, "I have lost my mind!"

Hopefully, someone, somewhere, will be able to help me "find" it, but, alas, I have no idea where I could possibly have left it.

I was looking for a BUS to convert when I stumbled (tripped?) on this RV. With a relatively new 454 (out of the crate not remanufactured) engine that sounded pretty good, nine new tires, and no leaks at a price I could afford, I decided to go this route. Fuel pump had been replaced with a unit that worked GREAT on the flat sands of Florida, but it is all uphill to Alabama. . .so a stronger fuel pump was installed after a harrowing "putt putt" 3x longer than it should have taken" drive home. A friend of the seller rode with me all the way to make sure I got home, then worked on it to make sure it was perfect before getting on a greyhound two days later to go back to Florida. . .

He rebuilt the carb, changed out the distributor and rotor, spark plugs and wires while sitting in the Advanced Auto Parts lot.

One of the selling points for this was the note that he had all the owners manuals. Turns out he had ALL the installation manuals, for each of the integrated features, but not the specific "flip this switch" information. So, I am lost on how to take care of the tanks, empty the tanks, use the tanks. . .

The owner had a medical condition that precluded him teaching me all the ins and outs of this, and I assumed it would be in the "owners manual" so I didn't press the issue.

He said the generator needed a voltage regulator, so I located and bought one, only to find that there are no Kohler 7000 service personal in my area. "Ma'am, Kohler doesn't make RV generators," said the techician. I texted him a picture of it. "I'll get back to you," he said. He hasn't.

I figure with the manuals that I located I can change out the oil and tune the genny, but installing the voltage regulator? Hum, not too sure about that since the PO had removed the non-working one so I don't have a template to follow. Remote starter? How does that work? My arms aren't long enough to spray starter fluid AND toggle the switch. . .have to think this one out.

The fuel gauge didn't work. So, I am at a loss to determine how much gas I have in it.  Old "willow stick" method doesn't work. I found the link for the measurement method to determine this, but, needless to say, I have no idea where the tank is to measure. . .but I assume that it is probably going to be some huge square tank located under the chassis somewhere.

It's DARK inside. Original pressed wood, fake veneer cabinets, dark paneling, dark curtains ("window treatment"). I notice a strange abhorrence on this forum to people using the word curtain, but no idea what social moral I am breaching.

I bought the primer and paint, the TSP and the scrub brushes. Risked washing the seat cushion covers (they actually stayed intact) and found that my router will reach to where I have it parked.

Now, here I sit, hot water bucket filled with dawn, looking around with Florida sand gritting under my feet, and I am thinking, I have surely lost my mind. . .so why am I smiling?

It's a new adventure. . . :)clap

Cam

joanfenn

Just enjoy every second of it...................

LJ-TJ

OK so you got the first part down, the over whelmed part. Why should you be any different than any of the rest of us. What you think your special. OK so here you are. Now pour a tall gin and tonic, put on some good tunes and post some pictures. :)rotflmao and get at it, it'll only take a year or a few. ???

Gary Eddy

One human can eat an elephant. One bite at a time. 

Put your head down and focus on one thing.  Then pick up your fork.
Gary Eddy
Fulltime Firefighter
St Paul MN

Froggy1936

And WELCOME to the Ill never get it all done club . Though you will enjoy a lot of trips wile work progresses ! Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

HandyDan

There are a few of us Holiday Rambler owners here on the forum.  You've got a good motorhome.  It has aluminum framing, seamless aluminum roof, and aluminum siding.  You won't have to deal with the dreaded wood rot of some other models.  The appliances, generator, AC, furniture, and chassis aren't any different than most other motorhomes. 
However, us Holiday Rambler owners have a certain reputation to uphold.
Here's a picture of me and my buddies going to an elite campground in my HR to enjoy some quiet time around the campfire with a dry martini. 
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

HandyDan

Seriously, if there is anything you need to know about the HR, there are 3 active HR owners on the forum.  We will be glad to help.  I don't want to overwhelm you with all the things I have had to learn about motorhome ownership, but no question is too dumb or too simple. 
Welcome to the group and don't be a stranger.
Dan
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

ClydesdaleKevin

I'm sure I'll get some flack here, but in my opinion the older vintage Holiday Rambler motorhomes are some of the best engineered RVs of their day, and are a good sight better engineered than a lot of the crap that is on the market today.

Ours is 35 feet with golden oak cabinetry and basement storage, but other than that not much different than yours.  You're gonna love it!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ibdilbert01

QuoteI'm sure I'll get some flack here, but in my opinion the older vintage Holiday Rambler motorhomes are some of the best engineered RVs of their day

Funny you mention this, I was just talking to our fleet mechanic who use to work at a larger Winnebago dealership, he said pretty much the exact same thing.   

Cam, Welcome Aboard!!!   Its great to see someone else who has lost their mind!!!    :D
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

moonlitcoyote

Welcome Cam :)

Dan, did you actually haul all that stuff on top of your rig?

HandyDan

Sure, Those Holiday Ramblers are tough.  I was, also, pulling a pickup truck with an ATV in the back along with a couple of dead deer we picked up along the way.  Having the windows out helps with cooling the interior since we had to dump the ACs for the boat.  We tried to invite our neighbors at the RV park to a cold brew, but they didn't have time.  They said they had an emergency back home and had to cancel their week long reservations so they could get home.  It is a shame, because they looked like they were having such fun when we pulled in.  LMAO
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

JDxeper

Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

Stripe

LOL, DAN! Omg I nearly dropped from lack of air I was laughing so hard!  :)rotflmao <----- That was me.   Cam This is STILL me on some things on my HR I28 ----->  i??
Oh, and WELCOME TO THE GROUP!  These guys have been more help than the guy at the NAPA store, and he's been a pretty good guy in a scrape. (even figured out how to mount my last RV's alternator to their "modern" tester to make sure it was alright).
I will be posting a link to photos of my new(er) acquisition including a video on how to use the new RV cover I bought that came with no instructions.
As to the Owners manual, the binder that came with ALL the installation paperwork, IS the owners manual, Lol..  You're the owner, it's now your manual..  ;)
Some of those manuals do have operating instructions. Don't be overwhelmed, look at it as an RV journey (pun intended) of discovery.
Like I wrote earlier, for me it's been a LONG list of "WOW, this thing has THAT?! COOL!". Like the hydraulic leveling jacks, WOW! THIS THING HAS THAT! As a SCI FI nut, that is like ICING ON THE CAKE!
I'll share if you'll share, so like everyone else has saidd, get them pics up!

CMM500

P.S. If you find your mind, please ask it if it has seen mine, it's a bit dusty with a few bruises, but it's mine and I do so miss it..
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

HandyDan

I have a small owner's manual that came with mine.  It is very general in nature and really doesn't give much information.  When I get the time I'll scan it and email you a copy.  I would like to see a picture of your instrument panel.  It will tell me a lot about your HR.   
Dan
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

DaveVA78Chieftain

Mind? Mine slithered down into the black tank eon's ago.  Only thing left is drawings and schematics, bits, and bytes.
Welcome to our little piece of the RV net.

Dave
[move][/move]

Stripe

Go figure, I scanned my entire manual last night only to lose the cache of scans when my dog accidentally unplugged my scanner.. !!!! $@!#@! $@!#@! $@!#@! Took over an hour!!
Fredric,

Froggy1936

It definatly helps to know that im not the only one these things happen too . Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Espiritus

You folks are phenomenal! Wanted to thank all who are trying to scan the manuals and upload them, and I think it is still a great idea. I demonstrated yet another loss of mental acuity when I decided to PAINT all the cabinets, and in the course of removing all the doors, found a hidden cache of OWNERS MANUALS. . .now I have to find a way to get them to someone who can scan and post. I think I can scan and make a DVD of them and send them to Mark (?) maybe next week?

Had a stressful several hours when I stopped sanding (and washing) the cabinets, and decided to fire up the old thing, to let it "purr". . .and it didn't. . .it started, died, and wouldn't restart. . .frantic internet searches. . .and several hours later, after a nap, went back out, sat at the "command center" and tried to channel the universe to get it it start. . .too much, woo woo.

Eureka! There was some little note about a SWITCH. . .that starts the auxiliary fuel pump, now were did I read that. . .oh, it's WRITTEN in scribble on one of the memo-pad notes!

Flipped that switch, turned on the ignition, waited five seconds, and it fired right up. Purrrrr

This was my first time actually starting it! The mechanic had started it the day I drove him to the bus station, and when I got home, that switch somehow got turned off. . .probably because it is located beside the old LP gauges. . .

So, there is HOPE. . .and all those OTHER four letter words that I said when it wouldn't start. . .

Now, about that painting. . .

Oz

Love it when a BIG problem turns out to be a really little fix... most times, it is... thank goodness!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Stripe

Hey Espiritus, does your Rambler have the duel fuel system?
Fredric,

Espiritus

Why, yes, it does have all the switches, gears and gauges associated with a duel fuel system, but it has been removed (I think). I have the manuals for using it, along with all the warnings. . . I was looking at the Kohler generator and there is a severed gasoline line going into the same cylindrical piece that sits on top of the generator, that also has what appears to be a propane fitting, so I think the Kohler is also a duel fuel. The gasoline nipple is at one end of it, the propane fitting at the other.

Of course, the Kohler hasn't been ran in awhile and someone has ran what appears to be lamp cord to one of the connectors. I am looking for a person familiar with this type generator in the local area, but since the "expert" told me that Kohler doesn't build RV generators, and that he "would get back to me" when I sent him a picture of it, well, I am not going to hold my breath.  :(

In between painting, and experiencing anxiety over it not starting, I noted that none of the 12v behind the seats work. Even when the engine is running, the lights don't work. I'm wondering if one of the "three" little switches (all on one panel) that is right beside the passenger access door (steps), needs to be flipped on. If so, which one?

You, know, watching paint dry really isn't as boring as I thought it would be. Lets me "explore" without going anywhere. . .which reminds me of a John Prine song with a line about climbing walls while sitting in a chair. . .maybe not such a good example. . .

I do have to get this electrical stuff figured out soon. I have read just about all the posts on this site as well as that other site (I admit my lack of site loyalty) trying to figure out the converter, inverters, two separate circuit breaker boxes, one 12v fused box, and wires, wires, wires. . .then there are all the switches. . .

Oh, and did I mention, that it had NO house batteries. . .I had to buy two, and they are still sitting in the back of the car. . .because I can't get the housing open. . .

Now, about that drying paint.  . . :)rotflmao

DaveVA78Chieftain

Uh oh.  This is one of those "the leg bones connected to the hip bone, the hip bones connected to the back bone" sort of situations.  Given that our HR guru's are Keven, Tina, and Coachman,  one of you guys will have to help describe how an HR electrical system is put together.  The converter (mfg, model) is located here, the AC/DC panel is here (combined, seperate, incorporated with converter, etc.), the shore power cord is located here (transfer switch or move cables for shore/generator?), etc.  I just do not have the knowledge of a HR unit to help her.  I can provide basic RV diagrams, but not HR specifics.

Dave
[move][/move]

HandyDan

Thanks, Dave, just leave me out of the list!  But, first lets clarify a few things.  The 12 volts outlets are not going to work without a house battery.  Even if you are on shore power, the 12 volts still come from the battery connections.  The three switches by the door:  If you are standing in front of them, the one to the far right is the electric step.  If you switch it on, the steps will stay put instead of retracting every time you close the door.  If you start the engine, they will retract no matter what.  The switch in the middle is the light on the monitor panel.  It is the only light you have when entering a dark coach.  The one on the left is the aisle or courtesy lights that are down near the floor.  If you still have the original ones, they are probably burnt out.  Original ones can be bought from Winnebago but they are about $10  apiece plus shipping.  I would strongly suggest that you consider replacing them with LED lights.  Kevin can tell you about that, since he has already done it. 

1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

HandyDan

You said you can't get the battery housing open. Could you elaborate on that?  Is it the key, the latches, something else?  Once you get it open there is a multitude of wires in there.  Don't let that overwhelm you.  However, some of the connections could probably use some cleaning up.  You should have a large inverter under the sofa behind a masonite grid panel.  The large battery cables will be going through the floor under the sofa into the battery compartment and will need to be connected to the house battery(s) if you intend to use the inverter.  I disconnected mine because I never use it.  There are much better and more efficient inverters available today that take up 1/4 the space, but the old one should still work well if you want to use it.  There is a panel about belt buckle level on the wall right behind the drivers seat that has a toggle switch on it to toggle between shorepower and inverter power.  The monitor over the main door has a gauge to read the inverter power output and a reset button if you over tax the system. 
Dan
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

HandyDan

Here is an interesting tidbit you might wonder about.  I searched all over the internet, talked to RV people, and even called Monaco to find out what this thing was for:

It wasn't until I was having the LP tank filled (65 gallons, by the way) that the LP guy told me that large LP tanks must have a pressure relief line installed.  That is what this is.  If you look at the back of it you will find a large hose going to the top of the LP tank.  I have never seen one on any other motorhome other than an HR.

Okay, I'm through posting for awhile.  I'm starting to feel like the know-it-all that used to annoy me as a kid. 

1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star