Line-x or Herculiner as roof liner

Started by Cakeman2253, May 25, 2009, 08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cakeman2253

This is the stuff they spray in pick-up beds as a liner and some off road vehicles get the exterior painted as well. Has anyone ever looked into these spray on liners for your roof? I have a buddy looking into having his roof sprays. This stuff is very durable and can be sprayed in different colors now. They are going to charge him about $500. They will also guarantee the product on his roof, although I am not sure the what the extend of the guarantee is.
God grant me calm seas, A helpful wind, A good catch, And a safe return home

nikoj

I painted my Winnebago with durabak - same basic stuff, a one part urethane used for bed liners, marine and other heavy duty applications.  Don't think I would do the roof with it, unless the metal is in really good condition.  If you get up there and look closely you may find a lot of corrosion, pinholes etc, especially where the factory stapled around the edges with steel staples, guess they didn't expect them to last too long.  I've used the cool roof type stuff in the past and it works ok , it keeps the leaks away for a while, but if you are going to commit to redoing a roof (and spending $500.00) I suggest you do it right. 

I'm going to be replacing my roof in about 10 days or so using TPO, a kind of single ply membrane material, typically used on low pitch roofs on large commercial buildings. It's similar to EPDM and PVC, each has its advantages but they were all designed to work with very low slope roofs. I've been on a lot of roofs with these materials and they all seem very durable.   There are a couple of people on this site who have used this type of material and documented the work very well, suggest you check out their results. 

One big advantage of re roofing is you can install better,  i.e., polyiso insulation, which has a better "u" value than the blue stuff used on mine and most other 'bagos.  "u" value, btw is the reciprocal of "r" value, it's used for calculating heat loss or gain.  Basically less "u" or more "r" makes your a/c work better. I found a roofing contractor who would sell me the TPO,  the fasteners, polyiso and other bits and pieces are coming from a roofing supply house.

Your friend will be very happy down the road if he gets the roof under control first, it will eliminate the leak problems that plague these great ol machines. 

Nick

tiinytina

I was just in Walmart this week getting a gallon of rainX windshield fluid and rainX for Gone... and saw that they are selling a "bed liner" application kit... they were selling... think the label was claiming something to the tune of just like the spray in liners... but this is a painted in version.

Does the LineX come in white? Black etc would turn your RV into your Sauna....

Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!