Permanent "Toad" Braking solutions

Started by Stripe, April 07, 2013, 05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stripe

One of two Systems I will be installing very soon for my "Toad" are either the "Invisibrake" from Roadmaster, ( http://www.roadmaster-tow-bars.com/supplemental-braking-systems/invisibrake-progressive-towed-car-braking-system?gclid=CKOx97WLubYCFelxQgodHUQAlg ) or the "Unified braking system" from U.S. Gear ( http://www.usgear.cc/unified_tow_brake.htm )
Taking into consideration that my Porsche is untowable (needs to be put on a trailer) having one of the two above installed in my Land Rover is the best choice in my case as my Rover 1: likes to suck battery juice and 2: the 12v power plug is not totally a standard size and I am finding I have to readjust ANYTHING plugged into it while driving her. 

They both keep the toad battery topped off via electrical umbilical connections and both use a supplemental vacuum pump to for the boost assist usually provided by the vehicles brake booster.

I'll let you all know what I decide on, and just how well it works.

CMM500
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Oz

Excellent!  Thank you very much, looking forward to the low-down.

:)
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Stripe

!-! UPDATE !-!
System came in last night. Will be installing it in about a week.

Unified Tow Brake model UTB-1000

Fredric,

Stripe

!-! Update to the Update !-!   It's been just a little over the two weeks that I said I would install and test the US Gear Unified Tow Brake system in my 2000MY Land Rover Discovery II and RV.  So here goes.....
This evening, with a little bit of final fine tuning to the UTB Solenoid, I drove the 'Aluminum Goose', with the Land Rover in tow, a total of 12 miles, including decent grade hills both up AND down, Highway speeds on the I5 and navigating streets through parts of south east and eastern Seattle.  And the Results???

I am TOTALLY satisfied! I give it a 5 out of four thumbs up.  :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp ??? 5 out of 4?

The kit came with everything I would need except wiring for brake lights and running lights. And easy to understand installation instructions and DVD. 
Here is a link to the Manufacturers' website. http://www.usgear.cc/unified_tow_brake.htm
There you will find a link to a low bandwidth install video.

I won't go into too much detail on the installation due to different automobile and RV configurations.
The hardest part of the installation was hard only in that it involves a lot of wiring and figuring out your vacuum booster hoses and where you want to install the vacuum motor that hooks to the booster.  On some vehicle installs you may have to drill holes for wiring, but there were plenty in my Rovers' firewall already and with plastic caps in place for whatever accessories Land Rover uses them for. For the one hole I needed, it was easy to just make a slit in the cap, run the wires through the slit, and reseal with putty because I did not want to compromise what decent water integrity I already had as I take the LR through deep water on occasion (If you're a GPAA member then you will understand why I traverse water at times). 

Just a quick FYI for those who don't know.  To flat tow a 2000MY Land Rover D2, one just needs to put the gear selector lever in neutral, then put the transfer case in neutral, then put the gear selector in park. Remove the fuse for the alarm that chimes when it's gear box isn't engaged, leave the key in position II and you're good to go.

Installing the wiring and control systems in the RV was very easy, even the part where I had to crawl under the rig to run the control wires.  My HR Imperial 28 already had wiring ran for trailer towing so all I had to do was put the UTB wires in the same plastic cradles the older wiring was installed in.  This made it VERY easy to avoid heat sources such as the muffler and piping for both the RV and the generator. After that and you have your light wiring installed, the 'Toad' is ready to be towed.

Total cost for the UTB-1000 was US$700 via E-bay.  It was selling for just over US$800 but I used the "Wouldyatake" button and the seller agreed.  And just to let you know, the kit was new in box.  All original packaging still sealed.

Hope this helps.

Fredric
Fredric,

Stripe

Second shakedown cruise for the 'Goose' was a huge success! The UTB-1000 Supplemental Braking system also performed admirably!

We took a trip to Middle Waddell Campground in Waddell Creek, Washington. Not too far from a small town called Little Rock. The total one way trip was 73 miles from house to campsite. The trip to the campsite involved going down steep (to me anyway) inclines where I needed to come to a full stop. One was at a stoplight intersection at Columbia ave and Spokane St. In fact I had to stop for two stoplights facing downhill at a pretty decent angle of descent. The RV and the Land Rover both came to a very smooth stop.

All in all I have to say I am very pleased with the performance of the UTB-1000.
It was well worth the money spent.

P.S.
At one point I had to do an 'on-the-fly' adjustment to the brakes. This was very easy using the adjustment dial provided on the manual override module attached to the gear selector lever.
Fredric,

legomybago

Nice. I too have a 2001 D2, just picked it up in Portland a week ago...been fixing the little stuff on it. What tow bar are you using? They weigh in at about 5k!! That would be a pull.....My little Bronco II i pull now weighs 3,600, but I want to sell it and maybe pull the Rover
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Stripe

The tow bar is a "Ready Brute" (8000lb capacity) from Readybrake.com ( http://www.readybrake.com/tow-bars.html )

The tow bar mounting brackets are made by Roadmaster (Roadmaster Part #: 1910-1) ( http://www.roadmaster-tow-bars.com/roadmaster-xl-tow-bar-mounting-bracket-1910-1 ) The photo on the webpage is different than the one I ordered originally but if you click on the install sheet PDF it shows the bracket as it actually looks.

And the tow bar to mounting bracket adapter is also made by Roadmaster (Roadmaster Part #: 032) ( http://www.roadmaster-tow-bars.com/accessories/adapters/roadmaster-bracket-to-blue-ox-or-demco-tow-bar-adapter )

And lastly the the tow brake (Unified Tow Brake model# UTB-1000) Is made by US Gear ( http://www.usgear.cc/unified_tow_brake.htm ) that I bought off ebay

When I took my Rover D2 (mine is a 2000) to get it weighed, it came out to 5260 lbs with my two pups sitting in it.
Fredric,

Stripe

Hey Lego, we should meet up when I pass through  Portland on my way to N. Cal.  I'll only stay a short while though, I don't want to get killed by a rogue Blutbaden Wessen, I'm not a Grimm...   W%
Fredric,

legomybago

Yeah, let me know when your cruising through Medford...Im right off the highway, exit 30
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy