Where's the coolant temp sensor? (318)

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 20, 2008, 10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 10/19/2004 5:49 PM

Could anyone tell me where the sensor is located? My gauge doesn't work and I'd like to remove it and replace it with an aftermarket gauge. I just couldn't find where the sensor is, on my Ford it's next to the intake but I didn't see that here. Anyone know...thanks.

Sent: 10/19/2004 8:27 PM

After re-reading some of your earlier posts, I believe that your RV is currently powered by a 318. Correct? If so, I think that the factory sender for the temp gauge reads cylinder head temp rather than coolant temp. I am trying to think back to where it was located on my 70 Brave 20' with the 318. I think it was on the drivers side cylinder head.

My Brave had an Edelbrock intake, and when I installed my aftermarket gauges, I was able to remove a plug from the intake and thread the sensor in there.

On my 440 powered Apollo motor home that I currently own, the factory sensor does read coolant temp and is located on the water pump housing.

Being that I didn't have to remove the factory sensor on my Brave, I left it in place, and was able to use both the factory and aftermarket gauges. Hope that helps.

Derrek

Sent: 10/19/2004 10:32 PM

Yeah mine is a 318, but next year I'll have a 440 in it. I bet mine is on the cylinder head, I'll have to take a look. If so, I'll just have to figure out a way to install a sending unit in the coolant for my temp gauge sending unit.

Sent: 10/20/2004 7:04 AM

There was a typo in my post. I owned a 73 Winnebago Brave 20' with a 318 not a 1970......lol..