Maintaining Interstate Speeds

Started by SmallDiscoveries1, November 09, 2008, 05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallDiscoveries1

Sent: 3/28/2005 11:22 AM

Considering buying a 74 Indian. One thing that keeps popping up in my mind is speed a 440 Indian can maintain? Will it cruise at 65 to 70, or would it be turning over too many RPMs?

I don't know that an answer one way or another will affect my purchase, but I am curious as to what to expect?

Will 60 be the top end? 65? Anyone know?

Thanks,

Steve

DaveVA78Chieftain

Sent: 3/28/2005 11:42 AM

I run my 78 Chieftain (440-3) around 60 (approx 3200 rpm i believe).  Several run their rigs a lot up around 70.  Others limit theirs to 55.  Most these ole girls could get near 80 I suspect.  They are not like a diesel bus (2000 rpm or less max) that can be geared anywhere from 45 to 80.

Dave
[move][/move]

mightybooboo

Sent: 3/28/2005 2:11 PM

Whatever speed is safe considering other traffic.I do 60-65 in the Minnie,but 60 is more comfortable,but sometimes Im blocking traffic at that speed.So I will do 65 just so I dont have as many Big Rigs having to pass.

BooBoo

Oz

Sent: 3/28/2005 4:04 PM

I typically drive 60.  Both the 24' Indians I've owned just feel comfortable there.  If traffic is heavier and moving faster, I will maintiain 65 until clear of the area.  At 60, my vacuum gauge still stays averaged at 15 and is at it's best gas mileage.  Once over the 60 mph mark, it begins to drop and so does the mpg.  Prior to climbing larger hills, I may "load-up" my momentum by increasing speed to 65 or 70.  That 440 can handle the rpms, the increased roar of the fan can be the hard thing to handle until you get used to it.

A very imoportant factor to consider as well is side wind blasts and the condition your suspension & steering are in.  If they are worn and loose, faster speeds can be very scary and your rig can travel a foot or more to the side in a split second.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Slantsixness

Sent: 3/28/2005 10:00 PM

The M300/375/400 and RM375/400 Chassis were all designed to perform best at a highway speed of 60MPH.

That's with stock (from the factory) gear ratios in the rear end and the 727 automatic tranny.

It's a "sweet spot" in all of the Dodge Engines big block or small, where the torque is falling and the horsepower curve is still climbing, it affords you the best MPG and is the easiest speed to maintain on the highway for extended periods. Vacuum should be around 15-18 lbs, too... makes your motor happy.

For a stock rig, any more than 60, and you're just wasting fuel, not that the rig won't get up and go, the MPG just goes to H-E-double-hockeysticks!

Coincidently, the rig MPG will also decline between 45 and 50 MPH. This is generally too low a speed for the transmission to be in 3rd, and there's a loss in torque at that speed (approx 1250 rpm), requiring more fuel you will see the vacuum guage drop to around 5lbs). So,lower it to 40, or bring it to 60, and Viola! 12mpg! (ok ....that's a small block.... don't get your hopes up too high guys!....)

Tom
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...

Lefty

Sent: 3/29/2005 1:15 AM

When we had "Beatrice" a '76 Chieftan 28' on a M-500 chassis with a 440-3, I usually drove around 65-70mph, but if I was distracted and not watching her real close, I have caught myself running 80-85mph without any sign of strain, Once, I looked down after I noticed I seemed to be passing everybody around me pretty fast, and the speedo was sitting on 92mph. I never tried to see what she would top out at, wouldn't really want to either, but she would cruise quite comfortably in the 70-80mph range with no strain on the engine. Lefty
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

SmallDiscoveries1

Sent: 3/29/2005 9:37 AM

These are exactly the kind of replies I wanted. I also spoke to the owner of the Indian about it. He said you could pretty much drive whatever speed you feel comfortable with, and it feels a lot more comfortable with the new tires.

I just did not want to be left in the dust when caravaning with newer coaches or trucks pulling tt's. I would imagine that even with a newer coach you probably have a comfortable speed you like to maintain also. It could be the same as your car too, I guess.

Thanks, one and all.

Steve
goes.

Crazytrain

Sent: 3/1/2006 5:17 PM

Hi,

It's Crazy Train for cold Quebec in Canada.

My D23L is towing a 2001 Daewoo Lanos as a toad. With its 440-3 It can easily cruise a 70 miles per hour without problem. I have not tested the top speed yet but I can tell you that at 80mph, the steering tend to be a little light. I think that these beast can top speed between 85 and 95 mph, if you are brave enough to steer them.

HandyDan

You have to remember that when a lot of these rigs were built, the speed limit was 55mph.  Higher speeds were not a priority at that time.
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

cosmic

well my 440-3 d21 on a m300 chassis. I have kicked it down many many times burned up a shoot load of fuel just to blow the doors off of the new  RV just to see the look on the face of the guy i just jumped out and passed up the hill. LOL
Now my friend who worked selling RVs for years said my big block has more power then the  the new v10 this i don't know because i have never drove a new RV. I have never had a problem keeping up so to say. but its way cheaper to take my time. Took me a while to learn this...... D:oH!
as far as the highway no problem keeping up at all be reassured of that :)ThmbUp

LJ-TJ

i?? Well we got's a 440-3 in our 21 footer and she goes like stink. Her sweet spot is 55 to 60 and yes I've had her as high as 70 in the interstate 5 o'clock rush and she handles  tickety boo. She runs effortlessly at 65 as well. However if your going to run those speeds be prepared to get between 5 and 8 miles to the gallon. If you want better mileage allow me to suggest you let the wife drive in which case you'll probably get between 8 to 10 miles to the gallon. D:oH!

Elandan2

When my wife drives we get terrible mileage.  She will only drive it to move from the front tank to the rear tank at the gas station.  So let me see, usually about 65 gallons and 20 feet.  Hmmmm, what's that, about 17000 gallons per mile. :laugh:
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

ibdilbert01

Seems like 55 to 60 is my sweet spot too.    W/ the 340 we get 10+ mpg fairly consistently as long as we are not pulling a car.    Mines only a 20 footer, on a M300 chassis and she dislikes hills, let alone mountains. 
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

tiinytina

our 454 28' p-30 loves 55.. and oh ya.. can haul her booty and pass all the trucks climbing the hills.. but found out quick $$$ just because you can.. doesn't mean you should... LOL... but do know I can if I need to LOL...
Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

ClydesdaleKevin

55 all the way here.  Well...I let her coast down hills as fast as I feel safe, usually 65-70 if its not windy.  And uphill just under 50mph on steep climbs is the sweet spot to not have to open up the secondaries.  After that, the secondaries open up and I can maintain that speed no problem on even the really steep climbs.  Experimentally I opened the secondaries and hit a steep hill at 65 mph and was still going 60 when I hit the top...but you could almost see the gas gauge needle dropping!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

moonlitcoyote

I dont think I could ever find out how fast we can go, if there is NO wind at all, I will do around 60-63 but any faster and I just dont feel like I am in as much control as I like to be. We cruise at 55 and that feels good to me. On windy days I will "try" to keep it at 55 but not always successful as I tend to scare easily when my rig gets pushed to the edge of the road. So far we have never been in a hurry to get anywhere so we try to only travel on good clear, windless days.

LJ-TJ

Now that's cool. That's how to drive a motorhome. To the comfort level of the least most comfortable person. It would seem you have mastered the art of having fun driving your rig. If you have to change your underware every time you go out it won't be long before the wife won't go with you and that's no fun. Good on you. Well said. :)ThmbUp

moonlitcoyote

:D  Actually I AM the wife, but my husbands speeds are slow and slower, so he doesnt care how long it takes us to get somewhere.

joanfenn

LJ-TJ

Oooooops  i?? :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao

tiinytina

TJ you should know better  D:oH!   WE Girls LOVE driving our rigs!!!!  :P (LJ - please smack him upside his head... :)rotflmao )
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

pipefactory

I like 60 when I'm towing my Jeep Wagoneer.  360 Rambler engine swapped inplace of the 440-3

ClydesdaleKevin

I've noticed something recently when driving on windy I-40 through Arizona and New Mexico...its REALLY pleasant staying in the slow lane and driving 45mph...and my gas mileage went way up at that speed.  Last pull from Albuquerque, NM to Amarillo, TX got us 8.36 mpg.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.