Need 440 oil breather

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 19, 2008, 11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 12/13/2004 9:20 PM

Can anyone please tell me the part #of the oil breather. Went to all the part stores and all they had were ones for cars without the oil filler tube attachment 

Sent: 12/13/2004 9:33 PM

73, this is actually two pieces.  The oil filler tube (the bottom part that pops into the valve cover) is an unknown -- don't know where you can get that, except maybe from a junked motorhome.

The oil breather itself is available at any of the parts stores in the "Mr. Gasket" line.  It is chrome, and runs only about $6.00 at Auto Zone.  The old one pops out of the filler tube attachment (it helps to use a screwdriver to pry it out) and the new one just pops right in.  They make both types -- with the air tube to the air cleaner, and without.  When I replaced my stock air cleaner can with the Edelbrock, I could not use the air tube (I really could have, but I didn't want to drill the base of the new air cleaner) so I used the oil breather that draws its air through its base.  It works just as well, and looks better.

John

Sent: 12/13/2004 10:37 PM

Thanks, I didn't know it was two parts.

Sent: 12/15/2004 9:04 AM

If you post the first six digits of your Dodge chassis vin - I will try to cross the part number out of the parts catalog to NAPA on line .  Which part are you looking for , there are several parts to the breather  with the remote fills .
I eleimiated the remote fill and replaced it with a one peice  breather cap on the valve cover , to eliminate leaks and crank case vent problems . I have to pull the engine cover to add oil , but I don't mind , as mine doesn't use alot of oil . I only now have a small leak , I think it's the rear crank seal  , not serious enough to tear it down . Besides if it didn't leak some oil , it wouldn't be a Dodge , or at least it wouldn't smell like one . Sea Hag .

Sent: 12/15/2004 3:13 PM

Well then mine must not be a dodge, it doesn't leak or burn any oil.
But I don't really what part I want because I don't know whats out there if I can get the whole assembly I'll get that if I have to get something different I'll get that.
The The first six vin #s  are  R59CA5, is a 73 440 M400. Thank you for taking the time to look it up for for me.

Sent: 12/15/2004 6:50 PM

Well, the oil filler tube, from the radiator area, feeds down to an adaptor (Dodge P/N 3640980) that inserts into the valve cover itself.  The oil breather itself plugs into the adaptor.  Only place to get an adaptor is a junk yard.   Now for 69-71, the Dodge P/N for the breather is 3462094 (NAPA P/N FIL2997)

http://www.napaonline.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/NAPAonline/search_results_product_detail.d2w/report?prrfnbr=15547112&prmenbr=5806

For 72, it's 2463989.  For 74-77, it's back to 3462094 (NAPA P/N FIL2997).  Not sure why one for 73 is not listed.  As shown on the NAPA webpage, the breather does include the nipple for the hose that goes to the side of the air cleaner.

Are you sure the 6th character of your VIN number is a 5?  If so, then that says you have a 75 chassis not a 73.   Be aware that Winnebago typically (but not always) used a previous year Dodge chassis to build the current year model.  ie: 73 rig was built on a 72 Dodge chassis.  I can say though that the R5 designation (translates to M400) was only used in 73 and 74 so that would imply say a 73 chassis.  You might take another look at the 6th digit of your VIN number.  5 does not make sense for a 73.  In your case I would expect it is a 3 (73 winnie on a 73 Dodge chassis).

Dave

Sent: 12/16/2004 12:10 PM

It is a 3 and the seveth # is a S. My vin plate was damaged and is hard to read so the S looked like a 6
sorry.