Penetrating Oils

Started by LJ-TJ, March 23, 2013, 04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJ-TJ

• "break out"torque" on rusted nuts and bolts.  A subjective test was made of popular penetrating oils, with the unit of merit being the torque required toremove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" bolt.

Average torque load to loosen nut:
    No Oil used ........................516 foot pounds
    WD-40 ..................... ........238 foot pounds
    PB Blaster .........................214 foot pounds
    Liquid Wrench ......................127 foot pounds
    Kano Kroil .........................106 foot pounds
    ATF/Acetone mix...................... 53 foot pounds

The ATF/Acetone mix is a "home brew" mix of 50/50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone. Note this "home brew" released bolts better than any commercial product in this one particular test.

Our local machinist group mixed up a batch, and we all now use it withequally good results. Note also that Liquid Wrench is almost as good asKroil for 20% of the price.

ATF/Acetone mix is best, but you can also use ATF and lacquer thinner in a 50/50 mix.  ATF = Any type of Automatic Transmission Fluid.

talon59

and we have been using those high priced cuncoctions all these years. for shame Hm?

ibdilbert01

A Link to the original article.   

Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

Lefty

I've used Kroil for years, it works really good on rusted bolts. It can also be squirted into cylinders to either prevent rust/seizing (for storage purposes), or to free up stuck rings on a seized engine.

Never tried the ATF/Acetone mix, I'll have to give it a shot.

I've also used PB Blaster, it works good too.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

ClydesdaleKevin

Very good to know!  Thanks!  I thought PB-Blaster was the bomb, but after reading the review, I'll try my own mix next time.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

cosmic

good to use this when your just to close too something to use the torches. :)ThmbUp

circleD

I know this thread is old but I finally got around to doing the 50/50 mix and its awesome!! I sprayed a rusted motorcycle chain a few months ago with liquid wrench and it didn't do anything worth while. I mixed 4oz of ATF and acetone into a glass jar then dipped the chain into it. I could then move a few of the links so I put the whole chain in the jar for a few seconds and it moves freely now with no rust on it. Just becareful of paint and fiberglass with it.

Stripe

Oooh....  ???  the possibilities... ???

Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

circleD

Oh yes Fred! I'm going to get an old rag and let this stuff soak into it and start dabbing it onto rusted bolts so when I work on them in a few months they'll be ready. Remember the acetone will evaporate so keep it sealed.