onan 4BGEFA26100F 4.0 Emerald I fuel line to pump connected wrong?

Started by ETA0k, March 04, 2013, 07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ETA0k

Hello all, I just purchased a 1989 Coachmen Classic 310 JD chassis Ford 460cid with a napa Carter P4602RV electric fuel pump by tank, and a onan 4BGEFA26100F emerald 1 generator. I am the 3rd owner, and the owner I bought it from stated that the 1 1/2 yrs he used the RV he never had generator running as the wiring was a complete mess.

I rewired and purchased the new control board, tried to start it but would not start, was quite cold here so started RV to warm up, then went out to start gen. with RV still running, it started and ran great for 45 minutes, then died and would not restart so I unplugged pos wire to fuel pump and undone line to carb, then hooked a remote start switch to pump and tried to check pump but nothing happened so checked power feed and ground both good pump bad.

I shut off RV and while removing pump notice that the rubber fuel line from where it T'ed along side of the frame, which looked to me to be a returning line back to the tank, as the other line is coming from the fuel pump and has an inline fuel filter and goes to the 460CID carburator.I replace gen. pump and line no fuel thru pump unless RV is running.

Does this sound correct? Seems to me that generator fuel pump should pump gas without the other engine or pump running, to make it more feasible and convient for camping. I wish to use the generator without running both engines.  Can the rv and the generator be ran from same fuel line instead of the one that I think is a return line?

Thanks in advance for any and all answers.  Sincerely, Edward

DaveVA78Chieftain

I suppose you could use the return line.  You could not use the normal fuel line to the engine because it is pressurized by the electric fuel pump in the tank (wat to much pressure for a Onan carb which only needs about 2-3lbs).    You may have pinhole leaks in one of the rubber fuel lines that results in the Onan pump sucking air.  This could be any rubber line between the fuel tank and either the 460cid engine or onan fuel pump.

Dave
[move][/move]