Engine won't start - almost no fuel to carburetor

Started by crenninger, February 25, 2013, 10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cosmic

well you got it to start. thats half the battle.  :)clap 

HandyDan

When Kevin gets through playing with his kilt maybe he'll chime in on this.  He just bought a new pump last November and should have the part numbers for it.   :D
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

DaveVA78Chieftain

I believe you will have to a bit creative.  1985 P30 would have a carburated engine which only had 2 hose connections to the sending unit on a stock P30 chassis.  RV's however needed a 3rd hose to support the generator feed.   So, I believe they used a fuel sending unit for a 5.7L Fuel Injected engine which has the 3 hoses.

Sending Unit
Spectra Premium P/N FG12S (http://ecat.spectrapremium.com/ProduitsVehicules/vehicule/000060466)

Now the fuel pump that attaches to that sending unit is
Spectra Premium P/N SP1153 (also on same web page)

Complete assy: Spectra Premium P/N SP12S1H (also on same web page)

Sources and such:
http://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premium-SP12S1H-Assembly-Sending/dp/B00279KXLS
http://www.stepvanparts.com/gm_p30_chassis_p1.htm
http://www.millsupply.com/ftp/stepvanpdf/chassis_gm-workhorse.pdf
http://www.walkinvan.com/onlinesvcat.htm

Dave
[move][/move]

ClydesdaleKevin

Got the pump from NAPA no problem, although they had to look up a different 454 application...just bring the old one with you.  The strainer sock didn't show up at all, but the strainer sock for a 350 fits the 454 pump like a glove.   Again, bring the old one with you.

Good luck finding the whole assembly though...junkyard part.  WOW yours is rusty!  Ours was clean as a whistle, but the pump was hanging out of the assembly and just floating in the fuel tank.

Bring the parts with you, have them cross reference them to other 454 applications from similar years, and you'll find the pump easily.  Strainer sock did NOT come up for a 454 at NAPA, but again, the one for the 350 engine was an exact fit, and its what we used.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

crenninger

I went to napa, they couldn't find anything. Reading the manual, 1985 is the year chevy started doing the MFG fuel sending

mine has 1 "screw" on main fuel line, 1 return regular (no screw) where the generator is hooked up, and 1 vent.

Maybe I need to get one mentioned above on amazon and remove the screw on for the return?

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

M & J

That looks similiar, if not identical to the unit used by GM in the late 80' and early 90's on TBI equipped vehicles. Try salvage yards for GM light duty trucks of that era or if the sender still works you can still buy the pump only .
M & J

doylexl

crenninger

I think I am going to buy the spectra complete system, and for the center outlet, either find a female fitting, or be able to put the hose directly over the outlet by pushing the collar back.

crenninger

DonD

Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

crenninger

There is one fuel regulator already.
I think this is one hybrid built from Chevy, has mentioned in the manual from the download section

DonD

Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

HandyDan

I was looking through the pictures on my computer and I ran across this.  I'm not sure where I got it or what the story is behind it but obviously it is a comparison on new vs. original.  Don't know if it is of any help, but it's on the topic. 

1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

DaveVA78Chieftain

If you discover you have to also replace the fuel regulator on the passenger side frame rail you have to use one from Holley.  Do a meassage search for the correct model.

Dave
[move][/move]

crenninger

Fuel tank is dropped, I didn't check, but would it be easier to change now?
Or can be done later without dropping the tank?

http://www.amazon.com/Holley-12-803-Fuel-Pressure-Regulator/dp/B00029JC6C

LJ-TJ

If you've dropped it? Change it now. Really D:oH!

crenninger

Yes tank is dropped to change the fuel sending unit.
I added to my amazon order the Holley regulator, $30 cheap enough to do it now.

Everything should arrive Wednesday going back to the rv Saturday to hopefully finish it up then following weekend bring it home.

Thank you for the help

Oz

Please use the "REPLY" button, not the "QUOTE" button when making a reply...

... unless what you are replying to applies to a post earlier that the latest one.  If you're replying to the latest post, it's already assumed that's the one you mean so it doesn't need to be quoted.  Yeah, it takes a very, very little extra effort to scroll up or down to the "REPLY" button, but using the "QUOTE" button just adds un-needed text to the posts.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Lefty

Two questions...
How are you going to untwist the fuel outlet connection that you have twisted until it is completely closed?

Why did you cut the electrical connections to the pump, fuel gauge sender, and ground?  It should have unplugged from the top of the assembly by pulling straight up (or prying a bit with a small flat screwdriver).

Just wondering, as you mentioned that you "might" replace the whole assembly.
Given the damage to the fuel outlet connection... I don't think "might" is still an option.

The electrical connections can be fixed, but create additional unnecessary work, a new source of bad connections later on, and hopefully you marked what wire goes where.. so you can wire it back correctly.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

crenninger

yes I screw up the outlet fuel - didn't pay attention.  W%

yes I tried to pry "up" the wires, and all I was doing was breaking the connector - so I decided to cut about 2 inches from the pump so I could rebuild the wire however it's needed. Once the pump was out, I tried to disconnect the wires and couldn't - They seems to be welded or totally rusted :-)
Yes I marked the wires, black - ground , pink fuel gauge, tan - fuel pump for reference.

That said, looking at the rust on the assembly I bought the whole system from amazon, it includes everything - sending assembly, pump, strainer, lock ring, gasket and about 2 feet of wiring - I am thinking that somewhere on the frame my old pump has a connector which I couldn't find - I'll look for it when I will put the new one in

I've got a collection of water proof connectors so if I need to I can just redo the whole wiring.

Froggy1936

Dont forget to clean as much as possible varnish from the inside of the tank !!
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

crenninger

Any tips on cleaning the tank?
I am sure there is even rust in there - but for now I'll put it back - at a later time I may replace the whole thing

Froggy1936

Spray carbuerator cleaner (lots of it) swished around inside after sitting for a wile soaking will do a lot of good then can be hosed out with water (dumping the mess is aproblem) Air drying (blowing out) A shop vacume exaust will work when refilling add a couple cans of Isopropal dry gas (do not use metanol type) will take care of any left over moisture  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

cncsparky

I've taken old gas tanks to radiator shops to be cleaned out, may be an option.  Eastwood Co also has a real nice fuel tank coating system for the inside, I've used before.
-Tom