Building and installing a slide out in 37' Elandan?

Started by claudio and christine, February 11, 2013, 03:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

claudio and christine

hello  every one...
has any one ever made / insalled a slide in a non slide RV..?
I'm looking for a 37 foot Elandan....
thinking may try to fab a slide for it...?
any thoughts...?
dont want RV with slide....
i want  an elandan 37 foot....
i like that style....
but I'm going to modernize/update it...new floor plan design...etc. 
a slide I'm not sure  .......
ideas  please...?
whats involved...?

thanks

Froggy1936

I think you would be biteing off way more than you can chew. First the frame is designed for a veh with a slide out differently And makeing a hole that big and not have a leak would be a miracle You should look at a veh with a slide out to see how they are constucted but its not something i would reccomend doing  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

ClydesdaleKevin

We actually looked into this a good long while back when we had a shorter RV.  There IS a company...and I can't remember the name of it or the links to their website...that specializes in adding slides to vintage RVs and travel trailers.  They do a DARN nice job...it ends up looking factory, supposedly don't leak, and function smoothly.  I remember the pictures though...they had an older Winnebago...early 80s I think...that they added a slide to, and you couldn't tell that it didn't come that way.  The neatest mod they did was to an old Airstream...It looked factory perfect!

Their skill and engineering came at a price though...If I recall correctly, a small slide...6-8 feet wide...STARTED at over 12K.  A large room slide started at over 20K.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Oz

I understand what you're asking completely, as I'm sure many of us have thought about doing this too.  Kevin is right, there is a custom slide out builder but... yeah, for the price of one, you could buy a couple RVs with them already installed.

One BIG complication is using an Elandan as a subject vehicle due to the rounding of the body.  I LOVE the style and layouts of the Elandans and, if I were in the market, that's what I'd get.  But, I'd also want at least a slide out for the living room area too!

If the subject were a 1970s, square-body like an eyebrow Winnie, I think it could be easier as far as being able to make a good, flush seal when the unit is closed and in travel mode.

So, let's see what kind of background info we can find to at least see what's involved...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7RCOjv2Zmg

http://www.ehow.com/how_7727143_add-slide-out-rv.html

All input is greatly welcomed!

The nice thing is, if you can pull it off... it's like the 5.9 diesel conversion... you'd be leading the way for a whole lotta people to follow!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

emoney

Here's a link to the company in California that does this conversion;

http://morrisonsvipcoach.com/

Looks like they've done quite a few coaches if you look in their gallery.  Some even older than mine, lol.

claudio and christine

Hi everyone...... after a LOT of research 🔬 🧐 ....... a slide is just no worth the money 💰 💵  💴 .......!!
By the way I did find a Winnebago Elandan well an Itasca windcruiser 37' with a slide...... just internet pictures with no further information......

claudio and christine

claudio and christine

Oz

Not many places do.  There's a link in a previous post.  Didn't check to see if it's still valid.

Having a custom slide out built would be very expensive!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca