1984 Southwind Eagle Makeover - 1st RV and 1st Remodel

Started by emoney, February 08, 2013, 01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emoney

I figure this way I still get my dark color in there if nothing else, as an accent, but I'll keep the main body a lighter color.
Makes sense about the dark color being much harder to cool and living in Florida I probably should've considered that
long before.  Now, if I could ever get the dang inside done!!!! $@!#@!

LJ-TJ

All good things come to those who wait. In time you'll get it done in time. :laugh:

M & J

It is hot. Thank goodness for the roof still being bright and a real good rooftop ac unit. She came that way. It wasn't my choice of color and I would have prefered the white/off white. If you notice in the pic of buggy camp, i'm tucked under the tree row as close as I can get and still be level to get maximum shade. Heavy curtains now inside helps too. It never has been uncomfortable with the ac running though. I'm toying with changing the color scheme from all black to something contrasting on the top half to ease the heat collection. But we do like the attention she gets.
M & J

emoney

Ok, here's the final proposed draft of the paint scheme that has been SWMBO approved.  The front;

And the rear, with special trim detail around window;

As you can see, I have entirely too much free time on my hands at work.......sheesh!

joanfenn

My two cents worth if you don't mind.  I like the final draft with the gray and black.  Very modern looking and I think that the color scheme takes off at least ten years of age of your new toy.  Now that is settled, start doing the inside and enjoy the experience.  And of course if you get stuck on anything feel free to ask.  There are a lot of us who learn from other's question.  What do they say?  The only stupid questions are the one's that you don't ask. :)ThmbUp

ClydesdaleKevin

Looks good!  As long as the roof is white, most of the sides that lead to the interior are a light color, and you use thermal curtains, you'll be right as rain!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

emoney

I'm starting to think there's a conspiracy going on, as every weekend now since I've picked this little bugger up has been horrible weather-wise!!!  I thought I lived in Florida, but I'm starting to question that.  We've had gusting, freezing winds all day today.  Of course, it was nice during the week while I'm working.....sheesh.  Oh well, it's only time I suppose.  I'm at least spending money as I've now got all the paint for the interior walls which means now it's just labor.  Maybe tomorrow will be nicer.

emoney

Still too cold to do any interior painting, and I didn't want to burn up all my gas to keep it warm inside, so I moved to the captain's chairs.  Here's where we're starting from;

That's "vintage Mauve", by the way.  It's faded into more of the orange family.  A coach this old doesn't really merit new chairs, so I went searching for seat covers.  I found the ones at Campingworld for $80 (sale priced), but lots of bad reviews about them.  I also found some that where $49.00 each, but it's hard tell if they'll fit.  So, on a hunch, I went into the automotive section at Wal Mart since I was there anyway and found "Big Truck" seat covers (or at least that's how they were packaged) and I figured since they have such a liberal return policy, why not try a pair at $34.96?

Not bad actually.  The sides are unzipped in this picture because I need to alter the arm rest opening a smidge for a perfect
fit.  Also, I'm thinking about trying to sew a pocket into the back because they don't have one and just cover up the ones on the seats themselves;

Also, there's two openings at the top for seat belts (not sure why they're on both sides) so I think I'll get some spray dye and spray the chair where it's exposed and either sew covers for the arm rests or dye them too.  Still, for less than $40, even though I'm sure they won't last long, I now can have seats that match better, and they're not faded and dirty.  Yay for me!

Cabinet dors are done, including the new pulls and hinges installed just waiting for it to get back to the high 60s & 70s this week (maybe even 80 by next weekend).  Then, I'll get to make some real progress.

Froggy1936

Hey emoney for the pockets just mark on the new covers where the top of the original pockets are Cut a slit roll and sew the edges tack it to the original pocket and use the original  Frank  ;)
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

emoney

Oz

The color layout looks good, more modern... has the cockpit "mask" as I call it, offset with the rising, dark area toward the rear which is a very common, basic theme used on many modern RVs.. they just add some swooshes and maybe some edge highlights of contrasting colors.

Black, ok... gray center area(?)... I think you're going to feel as though it looks... unfinished... like it's primer, kinda... well... bland I guess would be a good word for it... even if it is shiny.  Maybe a tan or mint green... a color rather than a non-color.

Hm?
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

doylexl

I like the seat covers. My oldest son does upholstery work as a hobby so I'm gonna see what it will cost to have my seats and sofa recovered. Someone put pics on facebook showing snow at myrtle beach a couple days ago.

emoney

I'm going to start by just painting the black which will leave the bulk of the coach in it's original "tan".  If it weren't for the stripes on the front and year, it would be easy to just leave it black and tan but I know, especially on the front clip, when I remove those stripes there will be permanent reminders in place.

Mytle Beach can have the snow, I'm ready for summer already!

emoney

Hopefully, there will be a much bigger update by the end of this day as I brought her home to knock out the cabinet painting.  Man, there's a LOT of cabinets in these little homes on wheels, aren't there?  Sheesh.  It's damp and rainy out, so the stuff isn't drying very quickly either, of course.  But, it's at least starting to look whiter in there.

I did get something finished, however.  Got my new kitchen pull-out faucet installed (at least the extra hole cut so I could snap a picture to share, lol);

That's a "laundry sink" faucet from Home Depot, on sale for $34.96 in case anyone is wondering.  Also, I was in O'Reilly's Auto Parts yesterday and noticed they too, carry the seat covers mentioned above.  I think they were a couple of dollars higher than Wal Mart, but if you are in the market, there's at least more than one place to pick them up. 

Oh well, back to the fumes and fun of laying on my back while painting underneath the cabinets in the bed area.....and the couch area...and....well, you get the picture.  Have a great Sunday all!

emoney

And, since there's not much else to do except watch the paint dry, here's more pics of my new faucet.  (It's the little things in life that excite me);

And, just so you know I haven't just spent all day putting in one little faucet;

Gots to go get more paint, though, as I'm a 1/2 quart short.  Sheesh.   I will hang those cabinet doors today!  I will hang those cabinet doors today!  I will.......

LJ-TJ

:)rotflmao Man that's a lot of painting  :)rotflmao But it's turning out great and looks great :)ThmbUp

emoney

Hur-rah!  Doors are hung and for the time being, I am out of the painting business.  Well, at least until next weekend, but still....

The above picture has a good shot of my new pulls.  The only bummer is now I have to installed latches, since the ones that were replaced were all-in-one types.  OH well, it's never "done" is it?

That door on the right, next to the bathroom is cork and I thought that would be handy so I left it.  PO installed it so I can't take credit for it.

Oh there's still LOTS to do in touch-up, and even a few spots that got missed, but enough is enough for this weekend at least.  You really start to feel your age when you're laying on your back and painting overhead, etc.  Yikes!!!

Hopefully, next weekend will be nice and I'll finish the cabinets and get the color on the walls that momma has picked.  Then, it's loads of cleanup from messes I'm making.  When I went to start her to take her back to the storage lot, no going.  Tried enough to drain the battery I just put in.  So, after charging it and eating a bit of dinner, I went back and found that the auto choke spring is bad.  I need to pull that carb anyway as it's really showing it's age and doesn't look like it's been cleaned since the factory did it.  Looks like I'll be adding a new choke cable.  It was easy enough to fire up and manually choking it, so I know that's the issue.  We're never done with the projects, are we? 

PEntertainment

Looks awesome! I really like the pulls on the doors. Great paint job too! I like the size of the rig too- not too long, I wonder how Im gonna fare with my 32 footer!

emoney

You'll be fine because a few extra feet come in mighty handy!  This little thing drives more like a van, which for me, is probably better since the wife says I have a tendency to "gawk" when driving...yikes!!!

Anyone got any ideas on how to best transition the backsplash panels?  You can see them in the pics above, just your basic "faux" aluminum stick ons.  I don't want to take it all the way up the side of the refrigerator, nor do I want it to go all the way to the entry door, so I'm wondering how best to "end it"?  I've seen people used trim on the edges, but I dunno about that?  Thoughts anyone?

PEntertainment

Im not sure what you are going to make  you backslash out of, but I am thinking of using real tile gorilla glued to a 1/8 inch masonite backer. Instead of grout I am planning on using silicone caulk. Hopefully this allows for some flex. So for the trim I hope I can get tile edge/trim pieces in the black granite im putting in.  Ohh I just re-read, I get it, you are gonna use that alluminum stamped sheet metal stuff- umm, I think I did see trim for that stuff at home depot. Or maybe a thin line of silver caulk would do?

emoney

I'll dig around HD and see what they have for trimming out the backsplash stuff.  I'm sure they make something just for that.

@Mark, I'm leaning toward a Black-n-Tan because the gray/silver isn't growing on me either.  That would at least leave the bulk of it in the factory color scheme.  I still have to paint the whole thing though because the horizontal stripes are painted on the gelcoat sides it looks like.  And, of course, we know when I go to remove the mustache stripes from the front there will be a huge, permanent reminder of them left underneath.  I'm just a little worried about the lighter color covering up those dark stripes.....

doylexl

I suppose that a lot of these motorhomes don't get painted is because automotive paint is so expensive but I can see where it would definitely be worth it an that's the cool part is making it look the way you want it to look. Nothing better than a fresh coat of paint. My father has a 1969 winnebago and he repainted with white machine paint ten years ago and it still looks good. His motorhome is parked on a permanent sit with a cabin built on to it and my dad is to old to travel in it anyway but he can still use it at the lake. 
Sad thing is he had just put new tires on it when we parked it at the lake 10 years ago.

Oz

Black and tan is always a winning combination and leaves open a world of trim color ideas to use as well.  We have quite a bit of exterior paint recommendations formed from experience on the Coach board, if you aren't already set on your paint.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

emoney

Baby got a new pair of shoes!!!  Just because it's too cold to do any work, doesn't mean it's too cold to spend money, lol. 

I'm pleasantly surprised by the quality, as you never know when it's the "cheapest" of anything.  I'll try to share some pics this weekend of them actually installed on the coach.  Growing up, I always wanted a car with a set of Cragar SS's, deep dish mags, but never had one, so this is as close as I can get!

DaveVA78Chieftain

QuoteGrowing up, I always wanted a car with a set of Cragar SS's, deep dish mags, but never had one, so this is as close as I can get!

Grrrrrreattttt!   :)clap

Todays new fangled wheels with hardly any tire height look like crap to me.  Nothing beats a Crager SS!  Now where is that 8 track tape player at?

Dave
[move][/move]