1984 Southwind Eagle Makeover - 1st RV and 1st Remodel

Started by emoney, February 08, 2013, 01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emoney

So I've never been known to "ease into thing".  The way I see, if you're going swimming you might as well plan on getting wet, right?
Wife said she thought we should try "RVing", and I went out and found one that I could trade my boat for.  Here she is in all her glory;

A 1984 Southwind Eagle, 23' w/454 on a P30 chassis.  She's only had two owners - the original which kept it for over 25 years and the
last one who put some effort into her making her functional and nice at the same time;

As you can see, he removed the dinette and replaced it with a sofa and put in laminate flooring.  She was pretty clean with all her systems
functioning when I got her. :)clap
Of course, I'm not one to leave well enough alone.  Wife said she was nice but "ugly" (kinda the way she looks at me I think D:oH! ).  So, what's
a guy to do but try his hand at dressing her up.  This thread will hopefully see me through to the finish.  Thus far, here's the plan:
Paint almost everything inside it
Change out all the faucets
Replace the cockpit carpet
New toilet and sink in bathroom
Replace the carpet under the toilet with vinyl
Add a 20" or so flatscreen (maybe one in the bedroom too)
Get a better mattress
Install an awning.

I work full time, so this project won't go quickly, but I will make at the very least weekly progress.  Wish me luck!

emoney

So, to bring us up to speed, here's where I'm at now;

Cabinet doors and drawers are all pulled out the primer is starting to go on inside.

Forgive those pics, it was dark inside and I was getting tired.
I made a great Craigslist purchase the other day;

Sink, shower faucet, sink faucet & a brand new Thetford toilet for $80.00

Not pictured is a pull-out faucet for the kitchen sink I got from Home Depot on sale that was designed to fit a
laundry room sink.  Perfect for me because the current holes line up. :)clap
A man learns quickly how many cabinet doors are in a little RV....sheesh;

And those are just the ones that would fit the dining room table.  Ummmm, by the way, let's no mention to the
missus about using the dining room table for painting, ok?  We'll keep that to ourselves. :laugh:

emoney

So, after about a week of Kilz primer, sanding, more primer and then 2+ coats of paint, the doors & drawers are almost done;

Had to make my first MAJOR expenditure in those new pulls as the plastic ones the factory used after 30 years were breaking down
completely.  A couple of them just broke the first time I tried to open a door or a drawer.

In my down time at work, I've been playing with Microsoft Paint for an exterior color scheme as I plan to dress up the outside too.

I know it's a dark color which goes against the whole "sun beating down thing", but darker will cover better.  I'm thinking straight
stripes for ease of masking and I hope to get industrious and try out the famous "$50.00 Rustoleum Paint Job".  We'll see.

By the end of this weekend, the goal is to have the interior cabinets totally painted and I can start on the walls next week.  I just
went and picked up 5 pieces of "faux wood" vinyl to replace the carpet that's under the toilet.  Who's idea was that anyway?
I know this much, $5.00 is the cheapest "flooring replacement" I've ever done.  That's about it.  Still lots and lots to do, but
I'll try to update as much as I can.  Thanks for watching.

emoney

Oh, I almost forgot D:oH! , I did make something else this past week.  The factory cupholders left a little to be desired
and since that big expanse of a doghouse is right there between me and SWMBO, I decided to make this;

I had some leftover Mahogany for the top half and an old sailboat rudder that's taking up space in the shop for the
base, throw in a little bandsaw action and finish it off with a robo-sander.  Made it "pretty" by spraying it with
lacquer;

Now I know it's crude and after sitting it in the MH I've realized that it looked a lot bigger in the shop, so I may
add something to it, just don't know what yet.  You can kind of see in the finished picture where I "scooped" out in
between the two cupholders an area for loose change and as a catch-all.  It only took a couple of minutes to make
and I believe it will serve the purpose.  Plus, it was "free" when you consider I already had all the materials.  I also
picked up a Laptop Table from our local chain drugstore on closeout for $7.00 that will work perfectly for a desk.  The
legs are height-adjustable and will slide fully under the sofa or in front of the captain's chair when swivelled into
the main salon.  I'll try and add a picture of that as well.  ALSO, another thing I almost forgot, which was the determining
factor in deciding the interior color scheme (to be revealed at a later time) was a GREAT score on Ebay this past week.
I bought an entire set of barely used Class A-RV curtains, to INCLUDE the dual front windshield privacy curtains for ONLY
$9.00 - WOOHOO!!!  The seller erred by on showing a picture of the tiebacks, even though she had each curtain size posted.
Most people don't take the time to read the description and it cost her, but save me a lot of money so I'm much happy.  And,
I don't have to dust off the sewing machine now.  While I was on Ebay, I found and won an auction for awning arms that
had been taken from a Airstream.  I need curved arms so I bought these as I think they'll work.  Still need to source a roller
and awning itself, but there's no need to rush (especially when money is involved).  I plan to paint these black so when I
get to a point of being "caught up" I will take them apart and recondition them.

Oz

Looks like you got a very sound vehicle to start with.  I like to think of something like this as a "blank canvass" on which to paint!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

joanfenn

You probably don't want to do this but I had great luck with mine when I did it last year.  The fiberglass was badly oxidized so I lightly sanded it and redid the stripes with tremclad paint.  Then the final touch was applying floor wax to everything.  Sure was fast and I think it looks great.  Took 10 years off the motor home in looks when all was done.

LJ-TJ

Well all I can add is WOW! Nice job. Can wait to see here finished. :)ThmbUp

emoney

Thanks all for the kind words.  Joanfenn, I thought about that ZEP process, but Owner#2 took it upon himself to paint the bottom in a flat black and quite frankly that's not leaving me with a ton of options.  Now, had he left well enough alone, I probably would've went that route because from what I've seen it meets with good results.  But, we play the hand we're dealt, so-to-speak.

Hopefully I accomplish something tomorrow and at least by Sunday evening and I'll be able to update.  Lots to do...lots and lots to do.

ClydesdaleKevin

Nice job so far!  The white interior will really brighten it up and give the illusion of more space.  Hope you primed with Kilz or the equivalent...lol!

Think twice and then a third time before going dark on your exterior paint.  Bright white covers just fine as well...actually better than a dark paint when it comes to dings and ripples.

Looking good!!!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

emoney

Y'up it's Kilz, kilz and more kilz!  I got started on the cabinet bases but still have more to do.  I got distracted this morning by installing my new-to-me Ebay Curtains for the windshield.  They might be a little "sheer" but hey, $9.00 is $9.00, right?

LJ-TJ

I'm glad to see your living by the classic Winnebago matra: think frugal, think thrifty. We're a lot of things but cheep isn't one of them. :)rotflmao

emoney

What's the consensus on adding a 2nd Coach battery?  I have a "left-over" class 24 that's almost new sitting in my garage just collecting dust, held over from my boating days.  Should I put it in?  Do I need it?  Would it be better served in tandem with the chassis battery?

LJ-TJ

Well it can't hurt anything and a spare is always handy. :)ThmbUp

emoney

That's sorta they way I was thinking.  It's simple enough to do and there's room, plus the battery is doing no good in the shop so might as well put it in there.  It's no more difficult than picking up some battery wire and connecting positive to positive, negative to negative, right?

Oh, and on closer inspection today, I found out it looks like the PO was kind enough to use a rubberized/bedliner type paint on the black he applied outside.  I'm sure in his mind it was a great idea, but I bet that's stuff is going to be a blast to sand off there.  Not sure I get his logic as there's nothing to "rust" down there, but oh well.  We play the cards dealt us I suppose.

LJ-TJ

:)rotflmao God I love your attitude. You really do belong here. As far as the battery I carry four. Two a chassis and a coach battery that are hooked up. The other two are not hooked up put there there if in need them.

ClydesdaleKevin

Maybe he was thinking a rubberized bed liner type coating would act like coach armor?  Pretty easy to scratch and ding anything low down on the RV.  We are constantly getting black marks on our paint from the backs of our painted director's chairs, no matter how careful we are, and keep having to scrub it off.  And way down low its not too hard to rub up against a rock or stump at a campground.  Not saying it was a good idea, but that might be why he did it.

If you are going to boondock a lot, the more coach batteries the happier you'll be...up to a limit of charging capacity of course.

And again, think long and hard before going dark on the sides of your RV...dark paint will make it VERY hot inside the rig if you are in the sun, and make your air conditioner work way harder than if you go light.  Those new fancy rigs with the dark paint and pretty graphics are made for people that will ONLY be camping in campgrounds and RV parks and resorts, where they have constant 50 amp service to keep their AC units running all day long.  There is a reason that the industry standard for YEARS was white or light paint on the sides, and a white roof.  Same reason old VW buses had white roofs...those Germans knew what they were doing...lol!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ibdilbert01

Nothing wrong with adding batteries.    Kevin points out a few very good points.    Make sure you are equipped to charge them fast enough for your needs.    And when going black, you sometimes do go back.    I replaced a new black rubber roof within a few months with a white one because of the heat factor.   Great job BTW!!!  Has anyone mentioned we love pictures?    :)
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

emoney

I'm definitely leaving the roof alone (hence; white).  The PO just redid it, thankfully.  I hate to admit, but I've been a rather huge disappointment today.  My oldest came by with a "Daddy, can you help me..." project, and as far as she's concerned, I'm not sure I know how to pronounce the word, "no".  So, not much got done on the Southwind.  I planned to installed at least all the plumbing fixtures until I got frustrated by a lack of proper tools.  I never thought about the need for a "3rd hole" for the pull-out faucet.  Once I pulled it out of the box, it was an immediate "You goober!" moment.  Oh well, there's no 'deadline', per se.  Although I do need to have it done on the inside before May 4th.  Surely I'll be ready by then.......right?  RIGHT?????

LJ-TJ

tiinytina

love all the pix!!! congrats... 
yes on no black.. even when all white it gets hot in a bread box....  W%
oops on the third hole.. yea we all make those oops...
nice $9 curtains! if you want to upgrade... been there sewed a couple sets in my day  :)

T

Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

M & J

Quote from: ClydesdaleKevin on February 09, 2013, 11:01 PM
Maybe he was thinking a rubberized bed liner type coating would act like coach armor?  Pretty easy to scratch and ding anything low down on the RV.  We are constantly getting black marks on our paint from the backs of our painted director's chairs, no matter how careful we are, and keep having to scrub it off.  And way down low its not too hard to rub up against a rock or stump at a campground.  Not saying it was a good idea, but that might be why he did it.

If you are going to boondock a lot, the more coach batteries the happier you'll be...up to a limit of charging capacity of course.

And again, think long and hard before going dark on the sides of your RV...dark paint will make it VERY hot inside the rig if you are in the sun, and make your air conditioner work way harder than if you go light.  Those new fancy rigs with the dark paint and pretty graphics are made for people that will ONLY be camping in campgrounds and RV parks and resorts, where they have constant 50 amp service to keep their AC units running all day long. There is a reason that the industry standard for YEARS was white or light paint on the sides, and a white roof.  Same reason old VW buses had white roofs...those Germans knew what they were doing...lol!

Kev

'Scuse me? W%
M & J

LJ-TJ

emoney

ClydesdaleKevin

LOL!  I said it was the industry standard to paint older rigs white or very light colors, but I'm sure their were exceptions to the rule.  Even today the vast majority of motorhomes and travel trailers are white or light colors...for a reason.  The big fancies are marketed to those who will do most of their "camping" at RV parks...thus the reason so many of them come with regular household type refrigerators and whatnot.

Kev

emoney

I'm starting to lean toward what I consider a compromise;

Reserving the option to switch to Silver/Black or White/Blue.