1985 minnie winnie battery solenoid connections?

Started by BABY GIRL, February 03, 2013, 02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BABY GIRL

hello , my battery compartment accessory batteries, the battery that hooks up to the motor home positive side came off .  does that hook on to the right side of the solenoid back in there. i see the neg side goes through and hooks to frame . any help would be great ? thanks

also how do you lock these in so the batteries  dont get stolen. high theft area.

thank you so much.

Jeff

Oz

A photo of your solenoid would help, just to make sure.  We need to know how many posts are on it, 3 or 4?

As for locking the compartment - the easiest thing to do without going into any welding or anyting would be to add hasps and padlocks.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

BABY GIRL

how many posts on the silenoid?

i thought it was just 1 on the left and 1 on the right .

i will take a look when i get home.

thanks
Jeff

ibdilbert01

Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

BABY GIRL

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

ClydesdaleKevin

Dave, you are a Microsoft Paint artiste!!!  Any time I try to use it it comes out worse than a 3 year old's crayon drawing....lol!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Like a carburetor, you have to caress it softly.   :laugh:   Dave
[move][/move]

BABY GIRL

this is a picture from my solenoid from my motorhome .

what do you think?

thanks
Jeff

DaveVA78Chieftain

Thats a 3 wire relay.
My guess is (meaning not being able to hand over hand chase them down from afar):
The large cable on the left is for the house battery.
The large cables on the right are A) one from the chassis battery and the other B) goes to the starter solinoid.

Dave
[move][/move]

BABY GIRL

so the positive cable from the compartment battery attaches to the right side of the relay?

DaveVA78Chieftain

Reread my statement.  I think I said the other way around.

House left
Engine right.
[move][/move]

BABY GIRL

the diagram you sent me looks like positive house battery goes to the right?

BABY GIRL

if i hook it to the wrong side will it damage anything

DaveVA78Chieftain

The drawing is just an example (functional diagram) of how things get connected.  It is not intended to be an exact diagram for your specific rig.

Based on the picture you attached I said:
Thats a 3 wire relay.
My guess is (meaning not being able to hand over hand chase them down from afar):
The large cable on the left is for the house battery.
The large cables on the right are A) one from the chassis battery and the other B) goes to the starter solinoid.

I said "My guess is (meaning not being able to hand over hand chase them down from afar)".    That is the best information I can provide in this sort of format.  Anything more would require me to be there with you.
I can say, the solinoid only acts as a cross-connect relay between the house and chassis batteries.  When the solinoid is energized it would be the same as connecting all 3 large cables to the same post on the solinoid.   On your year model rig, I suspect it basically only allows you to use the house battery to assit you starting the engine if the chassis battery is dead or some reason.   Dave
[move][/move]