Front heater doesn't get hot

Started by Ped8015, January 27, 2013, 06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ped8015

I take it out skiing here in MN and the front does not stay warm when driving.  The temp gauge stays low (compared to summer). The rad hoses are pretty hot.  The rear heater gets warm enough.

a) I see what looks to be a vacuum controlled valve between the engine and the heater core.  I notice that the engine side is hotter than the heater core side. I assume this is the valve that controls the hot water to the heater core.  How do I know if this is dead? I did take off the hose to the valve and there was no vacuum.
   b) Where do I find this part?  It is not on any of the automotive parts sites.

ClydesdaleKevin

Not sure about your heater issue, but a previous owner might have put a lower temp thermostat in place, and you might want to replace it with a 195.
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Froggy1936

Hey Phil I have a vacume controlled heater shutoff valve from the 1995 Chev van that i disesembled ill get a picture of it for ya if you are interested in it It was operational last spring before dissessembly of van  Frank    send me an IM
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.