Rear suspension seems rough

Started by Ped8015, January 26, 2013, 11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ped8015

I have two items to discuss tonight regarding my 82 Chieftain P30 454.  First off I love this thing!!!  it is a great project and a great get away vehicle for the weekends!

1) The rear suspension seems rough (yes I am a sissy).  The leaf springs look to be very flat, in fact they have a negative curve to them.   The previous owner put on 4 shocks with coils over shocks.  I think he was trying to raise up the rear end.  To remedy this, I installed air bags and the rear end is up high.  The ride is better but I want a smooth ride because I love projects, have too much time, hate when my friends complain and just want a better ride at any expense...
       question

a) should the leaf springs have a negative curve. How to tell if they are dead?
b) I am pretty sure I should take off the coils that are "over" the shocks. what do you think?

Thanks for reading and drive safe!!!

Phill

ClydesdaleKevin

As far as your leaf springs go, they should have a definite positive arch...Flat means they are going.  A negative arch means they are gone.

Once you correct your leaf spring issue, get rid of those coil over shocks altogether and go with good quality gas shocks if you want a nice soft ride.  Monroe, Bilstien, KYB...whatever your favorite brand, go with gas.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.