Extended Generator Exhaust Stack?

Started by LJ-TJ, January 21, 2013, 04:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJ-TJ

Anybody seen these new exhaust stacks were the guys take a six foot or eight foot piece of pip and put it on the end of their generator muffler up the back of their rigs. Why? i??

cosmic

Does it cut back on noise? is it for exhaust fumes? Does it work?

Oz

Yes, in fact, I have seen one.  I thought it looked rather odd.  It was a mid-70s Winnebago, no less so asked the owner about it. 

The exhaust came out under the rear corner and up along that corner molding.  The owner said the reason was two-fold, since he had an original genset, it was a little quieter but, more so, because he was very concerned about exhaust seepage into the coach and wanted to ensure the exhaust emptied well into the open air.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

DonD

Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

ibdilbert01

I camp with family who has one of these on their rigs.   They bought it because of the advertised noise reduction.    By what I can tell, it doesn't seem to help much.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

Lefty

Our Winnebago had the genset at the rear of the coach on the driver's side. It's exhaust exited to the rear under the rear bumper, away from where you would be sitting outside.
Our Georgie Boy has it's genset located on the passenger side though, and the exhaust exits just behind the right rear wheelwell. This is also underneath the awning when it is out. Not only is it loud right where your sitting, there's a very real possibility of accidentally burning yourself by brushing against the hot pipe. Also, I have worried about the fumes accumulating under the awning area, since my roommate has COPD and breathing problems. I've considered re-routing the exhaust so it exits to the rear of the coach, as well as adding an extension so it goes up to the roof line. In my case, I think it would help a lot with the noise level, as well as directing any fumes safely away from where we'd be sitting.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

DaveVA78Chieftain

The over-the counter manufactured version is called a Gen-turi.  It is primarily designed to re-route the generator exhaust gasses up above the RV rather than at ground level where they can be more easily ingested into an RV interior.  Many large RV rally organizers require the use of one to prevent your generator exhaust gasses from being ingested by your neighbors RV.  Especially useful at say NASCAR events where generators are the norm rather than the exception.  You can purchase one to install like in DonD's link above or build a DIY version like this http://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/8381039061/p/1

Generator noise is typically more a mechanical vibration issue rather than exhaust noise.   Older cast iron units ran quieter because of the solid crankcase construction (damped the mechanical engine noise) and typically ran at 1800 RPM.  A 1800RPM unit will be quieter than a newer 3600 RPM unit.  The new inverter model generators do not depend on engine RPM to generate a 60HZ output therfore they can run much slower RPM's which reduces noise.

Dave
[move][/move]