What is this 1/4 inch fuel line?

Started by Randy_in_Ohio, January 18, 2013, 01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy_in_Ohio

So I 've  been at the storage barn the last couple Saturday mornings doing some work on the Elandan and I noticed I had a fuel leak. $@!#@!

At first I thought it was coming from the generator line but I don't think it is any more since it doesn't leak when just the genny is running but does when the engine is running. I took some pics last weekend and I'm hoping you guys can help me out. It seems that there are two lines running to the engine. Hm? a 3/8" line that looks good and isn't leaking and a 1/4" line that runs parallel to it that's leaking from the rubber hose coming from the top of the main tank. At first I figured the 3/8 was for the engine and the 1/4 for the genny, makes sense, but that's not the case...

Here is a pic of the rubber lines where they go into the steel lines that run inside the frame up to the 30gal. tank (this tank is empty. the PO told me that the selenoid switch went bad. the 60 gal in the main tank is enough fuel for me so I'm not worried about fixing it...) this is where it's leaking you can see how bad the rubber is cracked. What is this line for???

I know I should probably replace all of the rubber fuel lines, but that tank is full right now and It looks like a real PITA to drop... The line doesn't really look bad on the top of the tank just where it's show in this pic so I think I may just replace as much of the bad fuel line as I can get to and use a coupler to put the two together. Is this a bad idea?

Also, could this fuel line leak be the cause of the carb sounding like it's not getting enough fuel when I step on it? Maybe getting air in the fuel line?

HandyDan

The 1/4" line should be the return fuel line from your mechanical fuel pump.  In this picture you will see a 3/8' line that is the main fuel source and a 1/4" line that is the vapor/excess fuel return line.  Some fuel pumps do not have this line.  I don't see any problem in putting a connector in the return line.  However, even though most of the fuel line looks okay on the outside, you have no idea what they look like on the inside.  I would suggest you change all the rubber as soon as you can.  You can probably do it without dropping the gas tank, but that would be the preferred way.  Then you could check the sender, sock, and insides of the tank.  If you do not have an electric fuel pump as an auxillary to the mechanical pump, you might want to install one near the fuel tank.  Check the P-30 manuals for where and why you want one. It might help that starved for fuel situation.   Good Luck.
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

Randy_in_Ohio

I did read the part of the manual yesterday that talked about the different fuel systems and that aux fuel pump.. I think I have one but mine isn't that close to the fuel tank I found this up near the step on the passenger side. Is this the aux fuel pump?

DonD

2 in and 1 out. A fuel selector unit? You have 2 tanks?   Hm?
Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

Randy_in_Ohio

yep, I have two tanks. I don't use the smaller tank, the PO told me the switch went out a while ago and he never fixed it... it's empty. I don't need this second tank either. 60gal main tank should be fine for my needs.  So would it be a good idea to just remove this selector? maybe what is causing the lack of fuel issue?

ClydesdaleKevin

That is a return line.  Fix as much of it as you can and run your tank as empty as you can, then replace all the rubber lines.

Fixing the solenoid switch is easy and cheap, and you might want that extra fuel some day.  If you decide to disconnect or bypass it, save the old one so that someday you can match it up to a new one.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Randy_in_Ohio

thanks kev I think that's exactly what I will do. repair it the best I can for now then use the fuel up and drop the tank and replace all the rubber lines.  I think I'm going to bypass that tank selector while I'm at it. If I was going to use that second tank I would probably need to clean it out it's probably been sitting empty for a while. I just don't think I'll ever need to put that much fuel in there at once. I would rather use it as a second grey water tank if I could!
A friend of mine has one of those motorcycle jacks that I think i could use to help drop the tank, shouldn't be too bad... Now I just need some good weather so I can take this thing out on the road!