Replacing Rear brakes

Started by DonD, December 29, 2012, 04:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonD

Time to reline....

The left has a blown seal. The leading shoes are very thin. Good thing I'm doing it now.
Replacing everything.  My trusted shop is doing the work for me.

Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

ClydesdaleKevin

Glad my 89 is full disc, front and back!  I replaced all the brake pads when I bought it (not the unobtainable rear trailing axle brake shoes), and they are all still within spec.  I'm not afraid to attack drum brakes...just glad I don't have to anymore!

Might have to address the shoes in the rear trailing axle drum some day, but that day isn't today thankfully!  Still within specs and functional.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

DonD

These should outlast me unless I get a big traveling bug. My fronts are still thick.
Don and Mary

Froggy1936

I had to replace my rears (same as pictured above) Due to plenty of lineing but it was loose on the shoe (separating and could be seen thru insp hole) Replaced bothe wheel clys and metal lines at same time ! Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

DaveVA78Chieftain

That is a Chrysler style setup.  Try to get part numbers for the parts they use if you can.  They may have to send the shoes out to be relined.

Dave
[move][/move]

HandyDan

Quote from: ClydesdaleKevin on December 29, 2012, 09:01 PMI replaced all the brake pads when I bought it (not the unobtainable rear trailing axle brake shoes), and they are all still within spec.

Kevin, what do you know about the tag brakes.  I'm going to need to take a look at mine and I can't find any documentation on them except that they were made by Master Brake Inc.  I have heard on another forum that they were equivalent to a Ford E350 brake but I have nothing to confirm that. If/when we need new brake shoes, are we only left with having them relined if possible?
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

ClydesdaleKevin

When I talked to the Mor-Ryde rep at an RV show this past summer, I asked him about the tag axle brakes.  They have some of the parts in stock, like wheel cylinders and hardware, but the proportioning valve is obsolete and no one makes anything near to being compatible with it.  So MorRyde makes an electric brake retrofit kit if your valve ever goes bad.  Also, according to MorRyde, no one makes the shoes anymore either, so they have to be sent out to be relined.  He also mentioned that a lot of folks simply disconnect the brake line going to the tag axle and plug it if their proportioning valve goes bad...you loose the added braking power of the rear axle, but you still have your other 4 disc brakes.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

DonD

Brakes all done. Wow, now the effort required to stop is about 1/2 what it was with "3" brakes.

The left side had a badly leaking seal and it showed evidence of a fire, very fortunate she didn't burn up on the road.

I take it back at 100 miles for a check up.

New shoes, seals, wheel cyl, and all brake hdw.

Alvarez Tire
8891 e Valley Rd
Prescott Valley, AZ
928-772-7720  :)ThmbUp
Don and Mary

jkilbert

For Mor-Ryd to say that there is no prpotioning valve thats compatible seems really odd, especially since Summit Racing and Jegs list many different valves and a number of them are adjustable.
Greetings from the steel buckle of the rust belt

ClydesdaleKevin

That's just what the rep told me.  Mine still works so I never researched it further.

Glad you got your brakes all done Don!

Kev