Laptop screen question

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, December 12, 2012, 07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

Not really related to RVs, but totally related to getting on this forum!

Just wondering if any of you have experience with laptop screens and if mine can be saved.

I left the computer on while working on projects, thinking it would just go into standby or at least a screensaver.  Should have checked the settings on this laptop when I bought it at the pawn shop!

Plugged in, it doesn't go into standby, the screen stayed on, and no screen saver came on.   $@!#@!

What that means is that there is now a ghost image on my screen of an electrical website I was on, and its distorting all the colors of all the pictures now.

Is there something I can do to remedy this?

Will it just go away over time, or did I ruin it?

Should I start looking on eBay for a new screen, or is there some way I can fix this one?

Thanks!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

HandyDan

There is a software program that our school used but I really don't know much about it or if even to recommend it.  But here is the website if you want to give it a try.  No guarantees.
http://www.jads.co.uk/screen-repair/jscreenfix-deluxe
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

HandyDan

I asked a computer guru friend of mine about it.  He said LCD screens can't actually get "burn-in" but the back lighting can take a "set".  He suggested turning the computer off and remove the battery and let it sit for 30 minutes, then turn it back on and see if it is any better.  It wouldn't hurt and certainly doesn't cost anything to try it.  Good Luck. 
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

ClydesdaleKevin

Thanks Dan!  Apparently leaving it on didn't do any damage...when I loaded the Fuji camera software, it must have changed the color and resolution.

I used system restore to reset everything back to the day I bought if from the pawn shop and set up everything to my liking, and its back to good as new.

That was really odd though!  It looked like ghost images, and the shadows in images were all in blue scale and weird looking.

Not sure what caused it, but its fixed now. 

I also turned on the screensaver option and the standby even when plugged in...just in case!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

plockit007

Hi, my name is Phil. I'm a computer Technician a+ certifide.
About how old is that laptop? It sounds to me that it is over 12 years old.

Usually with Xvga Screen you do not have burn in or a ghost image from the screen. What operating system are you using?

The screen saver may not be turned on. I know for a fact that any laptop in the past 5 years or younger do not have a problem with screen burn in. If I know more about the laptop Model or Brand name I could offer you more information.

If you can could you please give me some more info it would be appreciated.

Don't hunt for a replacement screen yet.

contact me at  plockit007 AT aol (dot) com

ClydesdaleKevin

Thanks Phil...problem all solved though.  Its a Dell Latitude D520 running XP Pro with a gig of ram.  Nice little machine.

Something that I loaded or uploaded messed with the resolution is my only guess.  Or perhaps a virus or malware.  I reset the computer back to Nov 1st using System Restore, and the problem went away completely.  Then I ran Microsoft Security Essentials anti virus full scan just to be sure...it found nothing...and then I ran Malaware-Bytes Anti Malware on full scan and it found a few things and deleted them. 

Screen saver wasn't turned on, but it is now!  Not sure what caused the problem, but its gone. 

Thanks again Phil!

Kev