454 EGR Block Off Plate, Mystery Solved

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, December 08, 2012, 07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

This topic is solved even before I asked the question.

But in case any of you are ever considering removing your EGR valve, either because it is faulty or because you don't trust it...they can cause vacuum leaks because of carbon build up and are the dickens to track down as the source of the leak...there is a solution...an EGR block off plate!

If you have a 350 or other small block Chevy in your rig, they are easy to find.  But just try to find an EGR Block Off Plate for a big block 454!  They just aren't listed out there on the internet for some reason!

They just aren't out there!  Well, at least they just aren't listed as being applicable for the 454 big block!

I searched all over the internet, including Jeggs and Summit Racing.  Finally I shot both of the later a tech support email, and waited for a response.

Jeggs wrote me back that they had no idea why they didn't carry one for a 454 big block, and could not give me a solution.

Summit wrote be back and GAVE me a solution!

Apparently, the same EGR configuration is used on small block Chevy Gen 1 engines with 305s and 350s!  So the same block off plate will work!

This is the link to the one I bought:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rfw-eb4/overview/make/chevrolet

Here is a picture of it:

No one seems to know why the 454 isn't listed in the application charts, but there it is...this is supposed to be the right one.

Since Summit is so much cheaper than the local auto parts stores for these parts, I went ahead and ordered it, and the air cleaner and breather from Edelbrock, and even with overnight shipping it was all cheaper than buying JUST the air cleaner and breather locally.

I'll let you all know if the tech support guy at Summit was correct, or was FOS, when it arrives on Tuesday. 

When I get the breakers and whatnot I need on Monday for the headlight project, I'll get a new EGR gasket while I'm there...I don't know if the block off plate comes with one, and if it doesn't, I'll be ready.  If it does but I don't like the results, I'll have a gasket to reinstall the stock EGR valve.

Always tinkering!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Oz

Sort of a dumb question but, does it come with a gasket?
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

ClydesdaleKevin

I'm not sure, Mark.  It doesn't say if it does or it doesn't in the item description.  I ordered one from O'Reilly's just in case, but I can always get my money back if it does come with one.

I'm guessing it will come with one, since I've run into this with other parts as well.  Like the mechanical fuel pump.  It didn't say it came with a gasket, but the gasket was in the box with the pump when I got it...so hopefully that will do it.

The parts will all be here Tuesday, so we'll see when they get here...then the great vacuum simplification project begins.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

So as it turns out, while this block off plate is an exact fit, it does NOT come with a gasket!  Fortunately O'Reilly's had a gasket in stock, so with a thin film of red high temp RTV sealant on both sides of the gasket I went ahead and installed it:

Sure was a lot of carbon build up on the old EGR valve!

Kev