RV covers. Winter storage

Started by cosmic, December 03, 2012, 05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cosmic

well i picked up this cover on flea bay and i am using it this winter season as i store it at my outdoor storage spot. its says its 3 layers and breathable. any thoughts? is it better then nothing? or would i have been better off with out it. I thought because its breathable it would be better then nothing on it. a few years back we got a couple of feet of snow and i got water in through the ac. its never happened since but we have not had a dumping like that since.I was luck that i went out to check on it the day of the big melt and put a trash can under the ac. not even a water stain. (very lucky) so I thought well no harm, and it was only like 200 bucks.

Any thoughts???

cosmic

here is pic of the cover i bought.

Oz

Here's something I did to help prevent snow, ice and water from pooling on the roof when using a tarp or cover:

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?topic=4126.msg16747#msg16747
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Mytdawg

Being as how I'm in the snow belt too I also bought one but it's seriously low buck (like the entire operation).  I have a 1970 FAN trailer sitting on some property up north and I HAVE to cover that.  I use a black and silver TSC tarp.  $100 and it's lasted since 1999 but I take it off in the summer.  The snow load and ice always create a problem with the joints in the roof.  She's barely hanging in there as it is.  Like Mark (sorta) I usually use a crate-like device in the middle over the stove pipe to prop up the center but the weight has crushed it a couple times anyway.  I have enough draw to actually use the gravity furnace in winter.  The tarp is open on the high side.

As far as the motorhome goes I'm hoping the A/C unit will do the trick for propping up the middle and I won't be using the truck anyway.  Second benefit is that the neighbors won't have to look at the old motorhome sitting in the yard.  Let's just say there's nothing else quite like it in the neighborhood...   :D   And of course they are trying to sell the house next door, to make it more interesting.

In my opinion any cover is better than none.

cosmic

well i went to the storage spot today and yes it all pooled up at the back of the Winne where the luggage cage raps around the back. I am ever so glad that i caught that. i cut the cover off and said well that was a $200 mistake. Now im leaving it the way it has been for the last 38 years. with nothing on it. If we get a lot of snow ill drive out and shovel it off as i have done the last 5 years.
Live and let learn as they say.

Oh and that water proof cover NOT....

Mytdawg

Sorry to hear it didn't work for you.  I think I'm going to have to try.  My roof may be able to take the weather but I don't think the side windows can.  The front cabin (?) has definitely leaked below the windows and there's some wood damage around all of them.  There's moss where the window seals must have been in the front.  Haven't been able to open the front windows yet.  I'll have to peel all the old stuff out of the grooves.  If the cover doesn't work I'll probably have to try to find covered storage or get a carport type shelter for it.  I can't see me trying to shovel it.  I'm not particularly sure of foot on the ground.

Oz

That is very dangerous to do, for sure.  After the first winter of it, I said, "no way again."  Seriously, all you need is a heavy duty, Harbor Freight tarp that's silver on one side (that reflects heat, causing the snow to melt at the tarp surface, making it very easy to slide off) a bunch of bungee cords and to raise the tarp from underneath (above the air conditioner height) to make enough of a pitch so that, even when the snow sticks, all you have to do is start the snow to slide off and the rest will follow easily.

The luggage rail in the back is a major problem when it comes to making a trap for snow, ice and water.  Again, if you use some $8 a pair jack stands with the tops wrapped in old socks or towels, and raise the center up so it slopes down, you'll cure the problem, you wont' have to spend hundreds of dollars, and you can easily go in and out of the RV as well. 

The only PITA was unrolling the tarp and getting it properly stretched out over the roof and putting on the bungees.  Although, there wasn't a lack of places to put them on the body, if you think it out a little. This keeps the tarp taught but not so stiff that it would tear.  I used 6 jack stands on my 24' Winnie.

Just screw the jack stand bases into some 1" thick by 18" x 18" square base wood for stability and so the corners of the jack stands don't cut into the roof itself.  I used this system for 6 winters and it worked wonders. 

Heck, I even went so far as to create a "covered wagon" framework for the tarp made out of PVC piping.  That was the bomb but, that's another story...
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

cosmic

I must add that for years i had boats covered in the drive way. and every time no matter how steep the pitch if ya got a good dumping of wet snow the tarp ripped. its not bad if ya can sweep it with a shop broom but i live a half hour away and i dont think buddy wants to see me 10 times this winter.
if ya see what they do at the marinas up here. 5 foot high A-frame over the boat  they still rip from wind then. 
The roof from what it looks like to me. guy before me put a seamless sheet of aluminium over the hole roof. bent all over the sides and then installed a drip edge. i check and replace the caulking where needed every season so I'm not really worried about a leak all that much. I too bought the cover for the neighbours. just did'nt think it would pool that bad. Could have raised fish in that much water. lol.

Mytdawg

I pretty much assume this cover will only last this season.  I would tarp it but I need to completely cover it or there will likely be fallout from the neighbors.  The neighborhood is mostly old money upper middle class white bread perfect lawn types with a handful of us heathens sprinkled about.  I may try to put a couple of those jack stand props down the middle to keep the center high though.

The water damage shows mostly on the inside paneling.  It's not showing much warping or anything on the outside.  I have some limited mechanical skills but I'm seriously lacking in construction type skills.  I'm the kind of guy that can start working on the bathroom faucet and end up with a broken main in the street.   W% I don't know that I'll be pulling the siding off any time soon.  Years of experience has taught me I'll have to pay double to fix what I break.  But I always appreciate the input.  If I have the knowledge I can find someone with the skills.

You people are great!