Safety products installed, detectors, extiguishers, etc.

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, November 29, 2012, 09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

I finally upgraded our safety equipment, including detectors and extinguishers.

Andy Baird's website Eureka, plus independent research on my own, really convinced me that the best fire extinguishers to have on board were the foam ones, like the Tundra ones I bought.

I used Profile Design bicycle water bottle cages to hold them where I wanted them, expanding mollys, and water filter O-rings to secure them over bumps...they keep them in place, but you can pull them out in a hurry.

Here is the one I installed at the entry door.  Quickly accessible from outside the entry door, but midships.  Next to it is the flashlight, and of course the new battery backup LP and CO alarm, since we had neither on board.

The new smoke alarm is great.  It doesn't go off like the old one every time we light a cigarette!  It must be calibrated to ignore cigarette smoke, since it definitely goes off with cooking smoke!

This fire extinguisher is placed on the wall, directly behind the passenger seat, and right next to my computer desk.  I can reach it from the desk if I'm sitting here, and Patti can reach it quickly if we are driving.

This fire extinguisher is placed right at my left foot while driving.  Good for an emergency electrical or engine fire, right where I can reach it!

This is the fire extinguisher in the bedroom, right in the corner under the passenger side window.  Very quick location to grab it in an emergency.

And this is the last fire extinguisher so far, located horizontally in the upper kitchen cabinet, in case of stove fires etc.  Didn't want to put it over the stove in case you had to reach over flames.  Right where you can get to it without interfering with storage.

I want two more to install in outer compartments.  One in the unlocked LP compartment on the passenger side, since its unlocked and quick to get to, and one in the battery compartment...unlocked for now since I don't have keys for it, and quick to get to on the driver's side.

These Tundra extinguishers are the bomb!  They produce a longer stream of material than a LARGE dry chemical extinguisher, won't road pack, and actually cool the fire, making it go out quicker and reducing reflaring of the fire.  Works on ALL fire types, and are small and light!

Thank you Andy Baird for turning me on to these!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

Forgot to mention, and didn't take pics of it, but I put one in the Jeep as well, mounted the same way, in a bicycle water bottle cage with an O-ring, and then I strapped the bottle cage to the passenger side roll bar upright with big stainless hose clamps, right behind the passenger headrest.  That was the fastest place for me to reach it with my long arms. 

Kev

Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.