Onan 2.5lk no spark

Started by weretrees, November 29, 2012, 07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weretrees

I have an Onan 2.5lk. No spark.. Curious this is a remote start unit. So does this unit need 12v to create spark? When you put the selector switch  in hand crank does it now need 12v to create spark? Checked points, cleaned and now gaped. no spark. I guess you remove the shrouds to get to the coil. Maybe I should just remove unit from RV. Also a wire coming from back of genset is not connected inside. I believe the wire comes from the coil and into control unit somewhere.. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Its time to look at wiring diagrams and do some thinkin..
Wannabango

ClydesdaleKevin

Older Onans are pretty simple creatures.  Either its the coil, unless its really old and has a magneto, which can go bad as well...or its the points.  Just follow your spark plug wires and see where they go.

If its cranking its getting 12 volts.  No spark means either the coil or magneto, the points, or even the spark plug wires if they have an internal break.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Under the Member area, under Manuals, Diagrams and Tech Info page there is a link to Onan generator documentation.  Select the link then scroll down the page to the LK generator section.   Select the download link for the 900-0196 manual.  Select Table of Contents in left pane.  Under the section 3 (Control) select the link to the LK version to learn how the circuits work.  Select the section 4 (Troubleshooting) LK link from the TOC for troubleshooting info.  Fairly simple circuit.

Dave
[move][/move]

weretrees

Thanks Dave.. That answered my questions. I found that my 12volt signal wire from control unit to coil was not hooked up inside control box. So the coil does not get 12 volts. I reckon this generator needs a small 12v signal to fire up that plug. So I guess that the hand crank option would work only if you had 12volts. So if your batteries are not charged enough to crank it automatically, there is probably enough juice to hand crank and still supply sufficient power to the coil to fire the plug.  No 12   volt supply at all and the gen set will not start.. Thats how I am seeing it. Now I just need to figure out where the control wire hooks up at in the control box. Also have to figure out why they unhooked it in the first place.. Then we can see if I can get a spark out of this old gen..
Wannabango