Wish me luck, or something.

Started by Mytdawg, November 26, 2012, 03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mytdawg

Hi there!  I've determined that between 2 ex-wives, a girlfriend, grandchildren, geriatric dogs, bikes and the worst Corvette EVER I don't have enough trouble in my life.  In order to resolve that I have purchased an old Winnebago.  It appears to be a 1976 D-21 on a Dodge chassis with a 360 engine, as best we can tell so far.  It appears it was loved at one time but has fallen into disrepair.  Although unlike some I didn't have to go pull it out of a field or anything.  It took a battery charger and some ether but she started and drove 20 miles to the repair facility from where it was being stored. 

She(?) needed exhaust manifold work, brakes and tires and it does not appear that half of the buttons for wipers or heat etc. work.  But it's mostly there (including non-working buttons) and just kind of dingy and worn for the most part.  Most everything appears to be original and fairly solid so far.  But we haven't delved too deeply yet.  The roof seems to be it's best feature, someone repaired it with all new metal years ago and it looks impressive from up top.  It almost looks seamless.  I see no indication of damage ever on the ceiling or inside edges, Around the windows there's some water stains/minor damage but nothing too serious.  For a beater anyway.  You got to draw the line somewhere for hauling dogs and dirt bikes.

The outside has some holes and corrosion that has gone through the metal on the driver's side.  They gave us some metal to replace the damaged parts but I really don't know anyone that can do that kind of metal work.  And they were carted around behind the motor home so they're kind of wavy anyway.  Basically I  have no idea what I'm doing.  I know nothing of RV's or motor homes other than there's 3 kinds of water.  And I have no idea if this one can hold any of the three at this point.  I thought it might be nice to have a big van with a bathroom and I got carried away.  All the hassles of a car with the additional hassles of a house.  If I wasn't crazy before, I will be now...  :)rotflmao

As I go through the archives to research potential fixes, I may have some questions.  Come spring anyway.  In the meantime I'll see what I can find on my own.  Thanks!

OldEdBrady

Looks like a sister of the old Whiny Beggar!  Really good rig for us while I could still work on her.  Good luck to you.

Oz

These are THE best things to tinker with.  You really can't go wrong when you've got several hundred cheerleaders and advisors behind you (okay, I just got a mental image of old Ed Brady wearing a cheerleeder outfit... I have severe chills now... ).

You can hack away and do what you want with it and have a ball traveling around in it too.  Welcome aboard!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

LJ-TJ

Well by the looks and sounds of it you scored a good one. She looks real good. There's nothing on her you can't fix your self and I'm sure someone on this site has fix the part you want to work on and will gladly coach you. The one thing we're not short of here are opinions. One nice thing is she  a 21 footer and you can wheel her around on a dime and she parks in a regular car parking space. My 79 Lincon was 22 feet long WELCOME ABOARD :)ThmbUp

LJ-TJ

Shoot I just noticed your around Lansing. We lay over in the Port Huron Walmart lot a few times a year in the summer. Plus just about any part you want for your rig you can get from N.A.P.A.

ClydesdaleKevin

Welcome to the most awesome vintage RV site in history!  Glad to have you aboard!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Mytdawg

Thanks everybody!  I'm looking forward to this adventure.  We liked the machine from the get go.  Just got a good vibe from her.  So far so good.  We'll work through the issues.  Seriously, compared to the Vette this should be easy.  Uh huh.  Sure.

I have been corrected though - I was supposed to say "The" Girlfriend.  Domestic partner.  She That Is Not To Be Trifled With.  My mistake...   :D

eddie

Dawg,
   Welcome dude!! I have a couple of these guys myself. One I just redid, and the other in process. I take my kids riding all the time with mine, and they think the world of it! She looks really nice btw...good to hear the roof survived/was replaced. That's the biggest pain in the a@% there is!! Good luck, and keep us updated! John

www.apexautospa.com

Check it-Boom

eddie

Oh, and how do you like that tilt wheel?!?!
www.apexautospa.com

Check it-Boom

Mytdawg

Quote from: eddie on November 26, 2012, 10:40 PM
Oh, and how do you like that tilt wheel?!?!

Is that something special?  I have not messed with it.  It does have the upper bunks front and back though, that it has a back upper seems to be different than most.  Still got the mattresses too, in decent shape.  I have pushed very few buttons so far.  Most of the standard gauges work though.  I got it started and drove as quickly as possible to my mechanic buddy.  He did the manifolds, front brakes, tune up, oil change and bolted together years of mechanical things shaking loose.  Took it to get tires in the snow and blowing cold-butt wind.  No heat (or blower specifically at this point), no wipers, no nothing.  No brake lights at this point either sadly.  Ice hanging off them narrow little mirrors.  Still have to drive it 50 miles plus this weekend to get it to My Woman's house for the winter.  I got Rain-X.   :angel:   We're still shooting for shocks before it gets stored.

I did like the comment about turning on a dime.  Man, that's a big dime.  Like a man hole cover.  I had a 77 Mercury Marquis but it's not quite the same.  I even had extended vans so they probably were about the same length but it's like driving a barn to me.  Wind resistance of a brick.  Possibly more stopping time than one too.

I am looking for a spare wheel and the rig to mount it on the back bumper.  It's the funky 17.5 wheels.  Never was retrofitted.  It's like a time capsule.  Break out the roller skates and a disco ball.  Some Ohio Players or Chaka Khan.

Yeah, we're in love with a shed on wheels.  I suspect there are others here.

Surfinhurf

Nice one.

I have a '77 D-26 Brave, same paint scheme.

I live near Lapeer, and travel I-69 alot, Ill keep an eye out for you :)ThmbUp

HURF

LJ-TJ

Come spring I have a spare tire rack if you still need one maybe we can meet up in Port Huron Walmart.

Mytdawg

Quote from: Surfinhurf on November 28, 2012, 03:21 PM
Nice one.

I have a '77 D-26 Brave, same paint scheme.

I live near Lapeer, and travel I-69 alot, Ill keep an eye out for you :)ThmbUp

HURF

Sweet.  Most of the time I'll be running the back roads between Stockbridge and Kalkaska up Michigan's Route 66.  The main short term goal is to have something to haul dirt bikes, kids and dogs between the house and cabin.  I'll probably avoid the superslab, it has more of a backroad feel to me at this point.  I HATE being stranded on the freeway. 

Mytdawg

Quote from: LJ-TJ on November 28, 2012, 05:15 PM
Come spring I have a spare tire rack if you still need one maybe we can meet up in Port Huron Walmart.

Excellent, I appreciate it.  Come spring I'll try some of the junkyards up north for spare parts too.  You never know what you'll find in those.  They're pretty well picked over in the more urban areas.

LJ-TJ

If your looking to haul dirt bikes and don't want to pull a trailer check out the extentions some of the fellows have built on the back of their rigs. Sobs got picks of some great ones posted on here some were. :)ThmbUp

Mytdawg

At this point I'll be happier than a fat kid with a cupcake if I can just get it to make the 500 +/- miles round trip... 

LJ-TJ

Aww come on. Piece of cake, noth'n to it, got it covered. These old girls are bullet proof. Shoot you'll be ranting and raving about how glorious she is and taking her to Florida before ya know it. :laugh:

Oz

For Bumper Storage Carriers - just go to the Gallery and look on it's main page, bottom left.

OldEdBrady

I've looked everywhere, but I can't find that cheerleading outfit Mark referred to, so I gue3ss I'll have to forego that part of everything.  But, you should keep in mind that the very first trip with the Whiny Beggar, I was afraid to go more than 20 miles or so.  And she worked perfectly, even though, at that time, I had done NOTHING.  Yes; when we got back home, I started really working on her.  But the old gal performed brilliantly on her first trip.

You gotta just give it a try and see what happens.  That's the only way you'll know what you have to work on first.

moonlitcoyote

When I bought my rig, I never even thought about getting it home and I bought it 5 hours from home. So I got behind the wheel and drove it about 55mph all the way home, no problemo.

Oz

Here's great tool that doesn't need any electricity to run...  The RV Buying Checklist.  Download it and use it to give your RV a good going over so you can prioritize and plan your repairs.  There's also a maintenance log and an Appliance ID record that will be invaluable to you.  Scroll up or down and look at the right side-bar blocks.  Just download and print them!   

LJ-TJ

Shoot Lauren and I picked ours up on the far side of Kansas and drove it all the way back to Canada some 1300 miles. What's that old saying ignorance is bless. All you have to do if trouble happens is limp to a N.A.P.A. them folks are great. :)ThmbUp

Mytdawg

Well you people certainly have more faith than I.  I've still got fresh scars from that Corvette (you'd think one damn component would be salvageable but no).  Guess Mark was right about cheerleaders.  You can hold onto that outfit Ed, I think the mental image is damaging enough without a real picture...  ;)   

If I had been smart  I would have used the checklist before I bought one.  But this was the bottom rung of RV'ing and I knew it.  There were 2 things on the checklist - start and drive.

I know I have to get it about 50 miles before the snow flies to store it and I'm going tomorrow whether it's ready or not.  Then I can start poking at some of the important accessories and see how deep the rabbit hole goes.  No brake lights, wipers or heat, blinkers work kinda but switch is limp.  Looks like old add-on cruise control may be spliced into brake light switch via scotch locks.  Most important running lights work but some broken markers.  I know I don't have the coach battery harness or know where it's supposed to terminate to system.  I don't have much in the coach that will operate off the engine battery.  Interior lights etc don't seem to do much.  I don't know if I've got the cable to attach to 120 (you call that shore power?).  Then we'll see if anything smolders.   :)   It's still got the original tanks and valves for propane so that will need to be addressed.

So far it's made it everywhere it needed to go.  She's still pretty tuff.  We'll find out tomorrow.

Thanks for the pointers and votes of confidence!   :)ThmbUp   I'm pretty sure she can feel the love.  I just haven't come up with a ridiculous enough name for her yet  (Travelin' Fever is painted over the windshield).  My favorite van was "Babe the blue oxide" so I'm working on it...