The Great Winter Boondocking Vacation, 2012-2013

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, November 24, 2012, 08:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

Oh yeah.  Electrical road test notes.  No problems with the signals or voltage meter or fans at all anymore.  Everything stays constant, and the reading on the in dash meter is consistent with the digital meter I put in next to the dinette. 

It was dark when we got to Alabama, but I didn't even bother using the high beams.  Low beams all the way, and all was well.

In Louisiana I'm going to replace the signal/dimmer switch on the column and see if that was it.  Also have to fix the leak AGAIN under the bathroom sink.  Tightening it didn't do it, so I might have to replace the whole fitting going to the hot water inlet of the faucet with a Flair-It.  Will also probably tinker a bit with the carburetor idle mixture settings, very easy to do, just to make sure my low speed economy is as good as its gonna get.

Tomorrow morning I check the linkage for binding, the fluids and air pressures, and I'll make sure the distributor advance is tied into the timed vacuum port.

Then its back on the road to Louisiana!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

Coffee is kicking in!  No hassles from the rest area, so we had a good night's sleep.

About to perform my carburetor linkage check and make sure the vacuum line is routed correctly to the vacuum advance on the distributor, check my tires and oil, and hit the road!

Dang coffee out of a vintage Corningware perk pot is good!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

joanfenn

well, technically, you are camping now and I find that coffee always tastes good when you are camping.  Safe travels.

ClydesdaleKevin

Thanks!

We reached our second destination, Hammond, Louisiana, to hang out with friends we only see once a year.

We'll be here until next Wednesday, then its the next leg of the journey to San Antonio, TX again, where THIS time we'll be doing the River Walk!

The next stop after that is Carlsbad Caverns, which we couldn't see last year since the roads were iced in.

Then its down to Tombstone!  Woohoo!

After New Years, which we want to spend at the Crystal Palace again, we'll be heading back to BLM lands and national forests for some very peaceful boondocking!

Gas mileage on the way here averaged out to 6 mpg.  Not impressive, but not horrid either.  While we are here I'm going to simplify the vacuum line routing and eliminate things we don't need...and modify my stock air cleaner for better airflow.  I really hate that plastic spacer.  It barely seals.  If I can't modify this enough to my liking, I might buy a different air cleaner setup, snorkeled of course...hopefully one that doesn't need a spacer!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Had a great time hanging with friends last night.  We might go to New Orleans today on a ghost tour...depends on how Patti feels after her coffee.  Her arthritis is acting up a lot lately with the climate and humidity changes. 

Gotta look up the address to the cafe we are all meeting at at noon, in case we do decide to go, so I'm off, after posting another project.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

We had a great time in New Orleans yesterday...fun tour with friends, and then some gumbo and New Orleans seafood.  Then back home to the RV.

Rain held off until we actually left, which was good.  Still raining this morning.  Going to go to the RV store and the hardware store today and get some Flair-It fittings for the leak under the bathroom sink...fix it...then plan out my attack on the vacuum line routing and whatnot in the engine compartment.  After that I'll see if I still have a steering wheel puller in my toolbox, and if I do I'll pull the steering wheel and the headlight dimmer/signal switch and bring it with me to an auto parts store and try to match it up to a new one.

Might as well try to get these mundane projects done while its raining.

Also gotta pick up some food for the pups.

Since I'm going to stop at the RV store, I'm going to remove and bring with me one of the compartment locks and see if they can match it up to the right size in conventional keyed locks...mine are all wearing out and they are getting harder and harder to open.  They are the round refrigerator key style right now and the lands are so worn out that even with a new key I have to use vice grips on the key on several of the locks just to be able to push it in hard enough to lock and unlock the compartments.  Gonna see if I can get the right size in conventional keys, all keyed the same.

But its coffee first, then off I go!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Went to the RV parts store first thing, and discovered that Southco lock barrels are WAY bigger than conventional ones, with threaded rod coming out of them...no dice.  There won't be a cheap and easy way to replace them, dangit!  I'll have to go through the Southco distributor in Bunnell, Florida, called Angry Fish, to get replacements.  And they aren't cheap!  10 locks at about 30 plus bucks a piece.  This is DEFINITELY waiting until our season starts back up, so for now its vice grips on the sticky ones and hope they hold out.

I got to the RV parts place just as their delivery truck was arriving...which was a good thing, since the Flair-It fittings I needed were on the truck.  Once offloaded, I got the fittings and some Flair-It shut off valves, and then came home and installed them.  Not much room to work under the bathroom sink!  But I got the job done and there are no leaks at all now.  And there are shut off valves now!  Turns out, and I don't know how I missed this when I installed the new sink and faucet, that the rubber cone washers were missing completely out of the original faucet connector fittings!  The PO had filled the gap with plumbers putty.  No wonder it was leaking!  No leaks now!  I have a ceramic heater running in the cabinet and the roof vent in the bathroom open and with the fan on...gotta dry it all out now!

Once the leak was done, it was time to remove the steering wheel and replace the dimmer switch.  First one trip down to Advanced Auto for a harmonic balance pulley puller, since someone helped themselves to mine out of my tool box, and that pulled the wheel no problem. 

Not going to get into it much on this post, but turns out the dimmer switch is built into the signal lever itself, not the switch, and the assembly is not longer available...I'll have to get creative with rewiring to get the switch out of the equation, which I'll definitely do before we leave here.

Took all day just to get what I got done done, so I'll play with the air cleaner and vacuum lines tomorrow.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Going to try to run a new hot wire up to the signal light lever with its built in dimmer switch and get the cruise control circuit out of the equation for my high beam malfunction.  If that doesn't work then that means its the tiny little dimmer switch itself, a part that can't be had from anywhere but a junkyard.  If it still doesn't work, then when we get to San Antonio I'll get a floor dimmer switch and run it directly to the relay and see if that works.  If THAT doesn't work, I'm at a dead end, since everything else is new!  Oi vey!

Running the wire won't take me very long, so after that Patti and I are going to go do something fun...maybe thrift stores and antique stores in downtown Hammond.

Kev

chicknnhead

I took the lock tumbler out of this(nut on the back, after you remove the lock bar) and i took it up to a lock smith. because i didn't have any keys, well the guy told me they were frooze up and even if he made a key they wouldn't work. he told me to go online and order some new, so call the MFG and they sent me what they had and they weren't right so I sent them back.
I then went to a lock smith(doug) that i had done dealings with on other things(reason i didn't before was cuzz he was 45 mns each way). i walked in the door, told doug what the story was. he told me they were froze up but that just keep sprying the locks with pb blaster the they will free up. he made me a key, and then kept spraying the one with PB blaster and sure as $hit it worked like a champ
went home and for 2 days i would twice a day spray/fill the locks with PB blaster, and on the 3rd day they all turned like new locks. still working 6 months later.

not sure it's the same issue as your locks but worth a short

ClydesdaleKevin

Thanks Chicknnhead.  Unfortunately, they are what Southco calls High Security locks...with round key holes like old fashioned refrigerator door locks.  The keys are round barrels with teeth notched out of them.  I got two new keys from Southco a while ago, since the old key was all worn down and that did the trick for a while, but the real problem is the lands inside the locks where the teeth are supposed to engage it.  They are worn down to almost nothing on some of the compartments, which makes them very hard to open, and its only going to get worse.

The other problem is how deep the key locks have to be.  They are extra long, with threaded rod coming out of the end, to which the little latch is bolted on.  They have to be that deep to engage the lip inside the compartment because of how it was designed. 

The diameter of the barrel is way bigger as well than a conventional key lock...I suppose I could use a washer to take up the slack on both sides, but even the longest compartment lock at the RV store was way too short...dangit!

Once our faire season starts again in February I'll go ahead and bite the bullet and get all new locks from Southco/Ugly Fish.  Hopefully they have some conventional key type locks to replace them with...or else I'll be stuck with the fridge style again.  Well, I guess that would be okay.  They have lasted 24 years and are only now just wearing out...That would make me 68 years old before they wore out again....lol!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Taking the next 3 days completely off from RV projects and spending time and having fun with my baby Patti and the pups.

Today is probably going to be thrift stores and antique stores and whatnot...lots of them in Hammond...and then tomorrow we are going to the Louisiana Flea Market, which is supposed to be a big one and not filled with imported chinese crap.

Sunday we'll make an appearance at the faire since its closing day, although we ain't dressin' up!  We're on vacation dangit...lol!

Monday I'll do some more work on the RV, like modify the stock air cleaner and put in a K&N air cleaner after knocking out the clogged carbon after filter.  I'm still thinking about going ahead and getting an Edelbrock air cleaner and valve cover breather....but whatever I do I'm definitely going to go ahead and get the breather and disconnect the hose from the air cleaner housing...I'm tired of oil getting all over my new air filters.

Tuesday I'll take one last stab at the headlight malfunction...maybe there is an inline breaker going from the headlight relay to its power source...I'm grasping at straws now since I've pretty much eliminated everything I could so far from the equation...its giving me a headache...lol!

And Wednesday we hit the road to San Antonio!  A very slow meandering trip is on our agenda, stopping to see all the touristy stuff...yay!!!

Kev

Froggy1936

Hi Kev. Hope yer having a good time on vacation.  if you are getting a lot of oil from valve cover breather hose there is a problem . The oil drain holes from the rocker area back to the pan partially blocked. This is the best possibility , As others are more serious, bad fuel pump diaphram causing fuel to get into lubrication syestem (should be able to smell fuel on dip stick )  Any other reason is worn rings / broken rings causing compression to get into oil pan A leak down test is easiest check A compression check will not detect bad oil rings .Consists of compressed air thru plug hole and see where it goes , Coming out of filler pipe is rings thru carb is intake valves out of exaust is exaust valves . Need to remove innerds from a spark plug ans weld a air fitting into hole in plug  , install plug into cly apply air to ck drains you have to remove valve covers These type of checks and repairs are best done at home base .... Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

ClydesdaleKevin

Thanks Frank!  Its not a lot of oil, just a light misting that barely coats the part of the filter directly in front of the breather filter, and fouls the breather filter between oil changes...I change the air filter at every oil change, and have taken to changing out the breather filter at every oil change as well.  Its certainly an annoyance! 

I hope its not a major problem involving an engine rebuild!  Yikes!

If it gets worse, I could pull the valve covers and clean out the drain holes, which wouldn't be too involved.  I'll smell the oil on the dipstick tomorrow...I happen to have a brand new mechanical fuel pump on board that I haven't installed yet, so if I smell fuel on the dipstick, I'll put the new pump in and change the oil again.

If its a major issue like rings, then that will have to wait for February when we are at home base in Arizona.  Then I'd have remove the heads...oi vey!  Never did that on a big block before!  (The only engines I have ever rebuilt were old VW bug engines).  If that's the case, then hopefully all will be well enough until we get there!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Patti and I had a great time at the antique stores yesterday.  Went to small town near Hammond called Ponchatoula, and it was LOADED with antique stores!  One of them even had a pet alligator in a huge outdoor cage with his own pond...lol!  They have a pretty neat steam locomotive in the middle of the town as well that they are in the process of restoring...right now its all decorated for Christmas.

Then we came home and played with the pups and fed them dinner, and then went over to our friend's RV for dinner, and good times were had by all.

Today we are going to go to the local I-12 flea market, and then back to Ponchatoula since Patti saw something she wants to go back for, and then we'll head back to Hammond and explore those thrift stores and antique markets.

Tomorrow we'll put in an appearance at the Faire since it the last day of the faire, and say hi to old friends we haven't seen in a good long while.

Monday and Tuesday I'll tie up the last of the RV projects before we hit the road west.

So far we are having a great vacation!

Kev

Froggy1936

Opps! I thought you were talking about puddles of oil in the air cleaner. The slight misting is pretty much normal for a engine with 50K + miles . You are probably changing the air filter too often . The best way to check for replacement is with a extension light. With the filter cartrige in your hand hold the light up to the inside if you can see full light thru at least1/2 of filter its still good to go . Remember you only need a little more than the sq in of carb ttl bore size for full air if you look at the sq in of the original intake smallest opening that is all the air that is needed I use an edelbrock fully open air cleaner but i love the intake noise along with the duel small mufflers . I can keep all the noise in check with light throttle opening if necc.  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

ClydesdaleKevin

Good to know, Frank!  I like the muscle car sound as well.  The previous owner put Banks headers on this thing with some very throaty mufflers...not the full kit, it still retains the factory manifolds with AIR inputs...and it can be loud when I open it up.  But just like on my old Harley with straight pipes, if I'm easy on the throttle I can quietly go through neighborhoods without shattering windowpanes or alerting the police...lol!

Its not a lot of oil, but I don't like it.  Just a misting on the side of the filter.  I ordered from Summit an Edelbrock air cleaner, an Edelbrock breather, and an EGR block off plate.  The EGR block off plate wasn't easy to find though!  Not a single EGR block off plate is listed for the 454!  Not on Jeggs either!  I contacted tech support at both companies.  Jeggs had no idea why they didn't have one for a 454.  Summit wrote me back, saying the block off plate on Generation 1 305s and 350s was the same as for the 454.  I'm gonna trust them on this one...lol!  This is the link to the EGR block off plate that fits a big block 454:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rfw-eb4/overview/make/chevrolet 

Prices at Summit were so cheap compared to the local auto parts stores that even ordering them overnight it ended up being cheaper...considerably!  Since they won't ship out until Monday morning, I'll have the parts sometime Tuesday.  Not a big job, so no matter when they get here on Tuesday we'll still be able to pull out of here on Wednesday...hopefully with better fuel economy and power!

I'll keep an eye on the crankcase breather for too much oil seepage...you've got me all worried now, Frank!...lol!

That means that Monday I'll get the necessary relays for my headlight system upgrade, and wire it all in then.  Looking forward to a trouble free and very bright and versatile 3 mode headlamp system!  Already using the brightest bulbs I could find, just not getting enough voltage to the lamps, and the power drop is causing the breaker in the switch to flicker the lights.

On a non mechanical and fun vacation note:

Patti and I went to a flea market...a very small and lame flea market...but it was still fun and Patti scored a nice looking pair of sunglasses she liked for 5 bucks.

Then she had me drive her back to Ponchatoula to the Tourquois Coyote, a bead and gemstone shop, because she found two perfect stones she wanted to add to a costume piece she wears with her fancy court garb at Faire, and didn't buy them yesterday...she really wanted them, so we drove back.

Next we went back into downtown Hammond, and had coffee at a local coffee shop, then walked around the town.  MAN little towns in Louisiana have a lot of bars!  I've never seen so many bars in towns before in other states...and I mean busy, lively, open bars!  They drink a LOT down here...lol!

We drove to some thrift stores and antiques stores and walked around, and then went to a consignment store that specializes in buying whole estates...some very hoity toity estates from the quality of their wares and antiques...and were in awe at some of the prices for some of the very nice antique furniture.  Yep, expensive, like a big heavily carved Baroque sideboard that I know would fetch 20K in New England, but only 2K down in Hammond, LA.  Someone could make a fulltime RV living traveling the byways we do...as long as they had a trailer behind their RV...picking up exquisite antiques in the poorer regions of the south, like Hammond, LA and Shelbyville, KY, and then bringing them up to the Northeast and either selling them to antique dealers directly, or setting up auctions!  And by Northeast I mean Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Jersey, and of course New York, especially the metropolitan area.  Think about it any of you thinking about fulltiming it some day!

The last place we stopped into had the most awesome old car I've ever seen, in pristine and unrestored condition, just sitting there in the middle of the store.  I wasn't for sale, but wow!  As a Jeep fan, I've never seen one in person!  There just aren't too many of them out there!

It was a 67 Jeepster Commando, just like this one, and in the same color and flawless condition...but all original and unrestored!  I couldn't help but DROOL!

AWESOME!

Patti wasn't as enthused....lol!

So anyhow, we stopped at the market on the way home, got home, and played fetch with the pups for a couple of hours before it got too dark. 

Steak for dinner tonight!

Tomorrow its fun and mayhem as "patrons" at the Renfaire!

Kev 

ClydesdaleKevin

Patti is finishing putting on her makeup, and we'll be off to the faire!  Gonna be fun being patrons instead of working...lol!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Its vacation, and a no work day, so we didn't get to the Faire until around 1pm.  Early this morning I ran out to O'Reilly's and got the relays and breakers and whatnot for tomorrow's project.

We walked around the whole faire and said hi to friends we haven't seen in a year, had some interesting faire food, and had a lot of fun.  Its a small faire so we saw the whole thing in about 3 hours, then went back home to play with the dogs.

They love "fetching" sticks!  They just won't give them to ya, so you have to throw another one...lol!

Then Patti brushed the dogs...anyone want enough dog wool to knit 4 sweaters, 17 pairs of socks, and a king size afghan?  LMAO!  And she just brushed them less than 2 weeks ago!

We called it an early night, and tomorrow I finish the headlight project once and for all.  Tuesday its the air intake, and we get the heck outta here and on the road west on Wednesday.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Thunderstorms most of the day yesterday, so Patti and I stayed in bed in our jammies and had a marathon of the new Spartacus season...which is very well done!

Today I'll put in the new wiring and relays and whatnot for the headlights, and by the time I'm done with that, the new air cleaner and breather and EGR block off plate will be here by Fedex, and I'll redo the air intake and vacuum lines on the engine today as well.

Tomorrow we get back on the road!  Time to leave Louisiana and head west!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Woke up this morning to a new water leak under the bathroom sink, this time at one of the PEX t-fittings.  So off to the RV store to get a Flair-it t-fitting, and fixed it when I got back.  Have the ceramic heater in the cabinet and the ceiling fan running in the bathroom right now to dry it out...again.

Then I loaded up all my tools into the compartments, and filled the freshwater tank.  Changed out the peat moss in the composting toilet while I was at it, and then decided we were going to wait one more night before hitting the road.

So tomorrow morning, bright and early, we start the trip to San Antonio! 

Can't wait to see how the engine runs now, and the headlights!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Its travel day!  And boy did it start out as a cold one!  32 degrees outside right now, frost all over the ground.  Brrrrrrr....definitely time to head west!

All I've got to do really is move someone's flat bed trailer...its on the highest ground with no mud to pull out of this field without getting the RV stuck in the mud, move some garbage someone left in the field since that is the dry route we want to drive the RV through, and then load the porch stuff up into the Jeep, check and inflate if necessary the front air bags (they don't seem to hold air indefinitely like the tires do, so I check them often, as I do the tires, but it seems I have to top them off way more often than the tires...I run them at 60psi, which seems just right compared to 50psi), check the tire pressures and fluids, then unhook and stow the hoses and extension cords.  That portable lightweight compressor I bought at the pawn shop works great and certainly comes in handy!

Next its hook the bikes up to the bike rack, hook up the tow lights, and drive the RV outta this swamp and out to the road by the office, hook up the Jeep to the tow bar, add my ratcheting straps to keep the bikes from bouncing all over the place on bumpy I-10, and then hit the road!

Had a great night's sleep and am ready to head West!

Our next stop along the way, provided they aren't booked, is a nice looking campground in Von Ormy, TX, right next to San Antonio, where we plan to stay for a week:

www.hiddenvalleyrv.net

Looks like a nice one, not too expensive, and even has a nature trail and brook to fish in.  And a lot closer to San Antonio than the park we stayed in last year.

Patti is going to call them and make reservations (hopefully) in an hour or so, since the time there is an hour earlier than where we are right now.

Its going to be a blast!  And since they have free wifi, maybe I'll finally be able to post ALL of my pictures to Photobucket, and maybe even update our Siege The Day website...lol!

After my coffee kicks in I'll start the little packdown...won't take long!...and then we'll be on the road!

I hope all the mods I did to the air intake and vacuum lines pays off!  I know the lights sure are a lot brighter!

Happy trails!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Holy crap!  All the hard work on the carburetor and air intake and vacuum lines and headlights paid off in spades!!!

By the time we packed up and were ready to hit the road it was 1pm.  Time for some real time road tests!

Performance wise, the RV runs better than it ever has before!  Smooth acceleration right up to speed, even fully loaded and towing the Jeep, without having to open up the secondaries!

I was able to take every single hill and steep bridge (except one) at 50 mph without having to open up the secondaries!

The one bridge where I had to open it up was the very steep and long bridge going over the Mississippi on I-10, leaving Baton Rouge.  Its a super tall and steep incline, but I wanted to see what the rig could do now, so I hit the bottom of the bridge at 55 and kept the pedal down to just before the secondaries were closed...55...50...45...40...Okay, time to open them up...VROOM!  By the time I crested the bridge, I was back up to 55! 

And gas mileage?  First estimate was 8.8 mpg...but that was just an estimate.  Second gas stop gave us the first real figure on the trip so far:  8.5 mpg!!!

Holy crap!  That's epic!  Full power, a perfectly running engine, AND 8.5 mpg?  Heck yeah!

My conclusion is that while I'm sure the new air cleaner certainly helps, I must have had a vacuum leak either in the EGR valve, or the cruise control system,or both.  Gone now and running great!

Headlight performance also exceeded my greatest expectations!  It got pitch dark very early last night.  And just the low beams alone are brighter than the high beams ever were!  So much traffic that I primarily used the low beams, but did have one brief opportunity to turn on the high beams, and it was like someone turned on a spot light!  On a movie set!  The lights are so bright now I have no problems at all maintaining 55, even on dark unlit roads...SWEET!

We made it all the way to the east side of Houston and stayed the night in a Flying J parking lot off of exit 789, and went into the Denny's and had dinner.

When we got to the Flying J, every single RV slip was filled with semi trucks!  Really guys?  There were spots in the back empty, but no, they had to park in our spots...jerks.  I ended up having to take up about 15 car spots to park our rig and the Jeep. 

After taking the pups out this morning, I checked the oil and other fluids, did a walk around of the rig and Jeep, and we are almost ready to hit the road again...after our coffee kicks in of course!

I'm going to do a visual inspection of the engine and carb again before we leave of course...a wise mechanic always checks his work!

We'll make it no problem today to the Flying J in San Antonio off of Exit 583 (a short 206 miles) where we'll gas up and stay the night, so we are in no hurry to leave here...we want to hit Houston traffic right around 10:30-11.00 am (its 9:15 right now and we are only 24 miles away from Houston), so we'll arrive pretty early at the San Antonio Flying J...hope its not full of truck drivers, the cretins!

Then bright and early we head to Hidden Valley RV Park in Von Ormy, TX, to enjoy San Antonio and the River Walk and whatnot for a whole week before heading further west!  That leg of the journey is a whole whopping 11.2 miles...lol!

Ah what a relaxing leg of the journey this has turned out to be!  Its a good feeling knowing you fixed your mechanicals and electricals, and did it right!

Kev

HandyDan

Glad to hear everything is running well.  It must be a great feeling that things are right with the world.  San Antonio should be a fun week.  By the way, you left out the word "park" in the Hidden Vally Rv link so the link doesn't work.  It is a cute little campground that should be fun to stay in.  I can just see you standing on the bank of the river with your fishing pole trying to catch fish.  Or maybe you are taking target practice on them. LOL!  Of course Patti is having no part of this and is back at the camper reading a book on the history of San Antonio.  Don't forget to remember the Alamo.  This would be a good time to watch "Pee Wee's Great Adventure" since he visits the Alamo looking for his stolen bicycle.  Wish I could join you and get away from this dull routine.  Well, I think I will go out to the motorhome and take a look at all the vacuum hoses.  Maybe I can eliminate a few.  My vacuum gauge doesn't work like it should since it only shows about 2" most of the time.  I'm sure there is a problem with the old hoses. 
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

ClydesdaleKevin

LOL Dan!  Forgot about that scene from Pee Wee Herman.  Patti actually likes to fish as much as I do, although I don't know how many fish are actually in that little brook.  Supposed to be mostly catfish.

This little RV park is pretty nice!  Not very impressive from the road, since the neighborhoods coming in off of I-35 South are pretty much like every lower income suburban neighborhoods near any major Texas city...run down houses with piles and piles of junk and junk cars in the yards...lol!  But once you turn into the campground driveway, which is very long and disappears into the woods, you come out into a very well maintained and quiet RV park, with a pretty stream along one edge, surrounded by trees with lots of shade trees, acres of well manicured lawn under the trees, a nature trail, and nice graveled and level sites.  WiFi works pretty well too!

We haven't decided what we are going to do today.  Still waking up and having our morning coffee.  We are definitely going to take the pups on a walk around the nature trail, and then probably head into San Antonio...but Patti also mentioned wanting to check out some of the local thrift stores and pawn shops as well, so who know!  We're on vacation!  No schedules, just do whatever....lol!

Coming up here to San Antonio it was a slow and steady gain in elevation, a lot more hills, and occasions to use the secondaries.  Still got 7.37 mpg though at the last fill up...not bad!   :)ThmbUp

Kev

DaveVA78Chieftain

If anyone is curious, here is the correct web link to the RV park Kev is at:
http://www.hiddenvalleyrv.net

The site is set up a liitle weird.  You have to use a combination of the menu links at the top of the page in combination with the links on the right side of the sub pages to find things like rates (http://www.hiddenvalleyrv.net/page4.php).

Dave
[move][/move]