Alternative Generator to the Onan

Started by LJ-TJ, November 20, 2012, 08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJ-TJ

Hey Guys, Did we ever come up with a generic alternative generator to replace the Onan that we could run in the generator bay?  Hm?

DELTA912

Got an older 1970's Generic brand Generator that a good one to try..

Only problem is that a 5/8's inch spark plug is $5 a piece.
Found an RV. 1976 Dodge spotsman W/ 360
Family Wagon by Travco!

Oz

Since my Bagos never had a generator, I was looking at alternatives.  I found portable Hondas which would work with just some minor modificaton and Pep Boys Automotive Stores had another brand (much cheaper) which were par with the Hondas only with Subaru engines.  A 3.5kw portable was on sale for $399 as I remember. 

I'm not sure of the current prices but, the portables must be lighter than the original Onan and Kohlers and the frame designs weren't big.  I measured my compartment and the 3.5 would fit.  Like I said, it would only take some minor modification to tie them into the RV fuel and electric system.

Perhaps a used Honda generator with low hours and well maintained that would work could be found on Craig's List too?
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

ClydesdaleKevin

Generac makes a pretty good and inexpensive generator, available the cheapest I've ever found them from Norwall Power Systems.

http://www.norwall.com/categories/RV-Generators/Gas/

Seems like they don't carry the real inexpensive one we bought for the Ark way back...that one was 4kw, and was only 1200.00 brand new.  Or maybe Generac stopped making that model.

Anyhow, they have a 4.5 kw Generac on that link above for 2200.00, and a 3.6 kw Generac for around 1800.00 bucks, brand new with warranties...not a bad deal!  Notice they don't even give the prices for the Onans on that page and want you to call for pricing...guess they don't want you to have a heart attack!   :)rotflmao

We never had a problem with that Generac, and we used it hard and often.  Always started right up and put out steady power, so I'd imagine the newer models to the same.  Only complaint was that is way significantly louder than the Onans and Kohlers, but that was the old cheaper model we had.

I also happened to see a brand new Honda water cooled RV generator at Northern Tool about a week ago...and it was less than 2 grand, although I can't remember the exact price.  I remember it because I was not only surprised to see an actual RV generator at Northern Tool, but seeing a good brand there like Honda really shocked the heck out of me...lmao!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Surfinhurf

I would find an old Onan and drop it in. 
I have seen them on ebay for $400+-

Older Onans are nice because they run at 1800 rpms vs 3600 rpms for the new "solid state" models.

Generators that run at 1800 RPMs are ALOT quiter than most generators that run at 3600 RPMs

HURF

LJ-TJ

What I'm finding is a lot of older onan parts are obsolete and you just can't find parts for them. $@!#@!

Oz

Did you look into the ones I mentioned above?
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

LJ-TJ

Yes Sir, noted and filed. You can never have to much information. I haven't quite given up looking for a carb for my 5.0 Onan but we'll just have to wait and see.

DaveVA78Chieftain

For most things Onan, SMOKSTAK is one of the best resource sites.
http://www.smokstak.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1

Dave
[move][/move]

LJ-TJ

Holy Crap! Did you see the size of that site? Where would you even begin to look. I could start reading now and wouldn't make half way by summer. But I do have to find a carb so I don't know maybe that's were I'll spend my winter reading. HOLY COW. Oh! Thanks Dave. :)ThmbUp

DaveVA78Chieftain

TJ,
The answer is very simple.  Join the site (its free), then post your question.  Provide all the details (complete generator model number AND serial number) plus details about what you are looking for.  There are many varities of each Onan gen so they need all the info.  They are fairly good about responding so if someone has a solution they will respond.  Many of the people are current or retired Onan techs.

Dave
[move][/move]

LJ-TJ

Done, now lets see what happens. Thanks Dave :)ThmbUp

bluebird

My Challenger came with a 6500 watt Generac from the factory. I've ran it pretty good for the last 4 years. Mine is a lot smoother and uses about 1/2 the fuel as my old BFA in the Itasca. It is also quieter than the BFA. It's mounted right beneath the couch on the drivers side, can't even tell it's running going down the road. The BFA was mounted in the very back on the passenger side, but it was very hard to sleep back there when it was running, constant vibration. If something happens to this one I'd buy another.

LJ-TJ

i?? So has anybody else had a chance to come up with other alternatives to replacing the onan generators in these old rigs that might even be quieter . Still haven't had any luck getting my old 5.0 running right so I'm still thinking of replacing it.

ClydesdaleKevin

:D Solar panels? :D

With a good solar setup, you could carry around one of those super quiet Honda generators that don't take up much room for those days when you absolutely have to run the AC...and turn the compartment your genny is in into a storage compartment, or a battery compartment for your solar storage....lol!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

tiinytina

Sands had some nice old ones in running shape on the back shelf last I was there...  W%

Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

LJ-TJ

• Looks like I'm going in the Honda.Yamaha generator. Any thoughts on these. Going to sell my 5.0 Onan as it's beyond my tweeking capabilities and replace it with a Honda or Yamaha. Hm?

DaveVA78Chieftain

Are you reffering to the inverter models?  They are the quietest.  If I recall you do not have an AC so the Honda EU2000 should be enough for you (microwave support is your biggest load).  To operate an AC you would need 2 of them plus the tandem kit.  The EU1000 may be to small to drive a microwave. EU3000 is very heavy and cumbersome.  Thats why most use twin EU2000 with the tandem kit.
You would have to set it on the ground to use it (not leave it in gen compartment).  Keep it locked up when not in use and chained when using as they are easy prey and very desired.  Same goes for the Yamaha version.  Part of the reason they are so quite is they have variable engine speed based on load.   Remember you will also need gas can storage.

Dave
[move][/move]

JDxeper

Some have had good results with the Champion brand.   Appears to have a low db rating.  My understanding that the rv gensets usually run at a lower rpm than the common household varieties and thereby quieter.

Look at the power needs, the size it to requirements.   I have a 3500 surge to 4500 I carry in the truck, and will use for the F17.  It weighs 48 lbs and is electric start.  As I recall it is rated 68db at full power, I think at 50 ft.  The real quite ones run about 55-60 dbs. I found this one on Generators Direct. 
I didn't want to spend the money for Red.  The one I have is a DuroMax 4400E. The other thing I liked about this one , it has a 4 gal gas tank.  It is also availabe in a hybird that will use gasoline or LP.
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

ibdilbert01

I seen JDs genset at the Jam, its a nice compact unit!   The electric start sure does make it nice!!!!

Hes absolutely correct on engine speed.   The Onans run at 1800 RPM, and most over the counter gensets run at 3600.   

The inverter models vary their RPMs based on load, and can be amazingly quiet.    I was around some of the EU series when I camped at last years local fair, some of them I couldn't hear until I walked up close to them.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

ClydesdaleKevin

Ryobi just came out with their own version as well, about half the price of the Honda, available at Home Depot.  Is it as good as a Honda?  Probably not, but Home Depot has an excellent return policy, so if you use it a lot and it doesn't last, just keep taking it back for a new one...lol!  I've had pretty good luck with Ryobi tools though...except their table saws...I've burned a few of those out over the years...one literally caught fire!

Kev

DaveVA78Chieftain

If you are going for regular replacement style generator (i.e Onan), then you have to look closely at RPM info.  Current 4K gas version runs at 3600RPM.  5.5K (2400RPM) and 7K (2800RPM).  Both of the bigger ones use a belt - pulley arrangement tospin the generator portioon at 3600RPM.  Higher RPMs are contribute to the noise factor.  The Onan generators of yesteryear ran at 1800RPM (i.e TJ's current 4K unit).  The 1800RPM winding configuration allowed them to provide 60Hz.    Generiac units run at 3600RPM.  Normal Champion models run at 3600RPM.  Most Contractor gen sets run at 3600RPM.

I have the Champion 3500 Watt RV model (46514; http://www.championpowerequipment.com/generators/46514/) that has a 68db rating that is chained to a rear trailer tongue carrier.  It comes with the standard 30 amp RV plug so usage is a snap.  I like it and have used it several times at NASCAR races.  Of course, NASCAR campsites are rather generator noisy anyway so mine is just one more added to the din :)  They use a Honda Clone engine.  Of course the noise level is no match for the Honda EU or Yamaha models.  Their inverter technology allows a much slower engine speed.

Dave
[move][/move]

Elandan2

If money were no object, I'd like one of those Honda liquid cooled RV generators.  I think they "absorb" sound, they are sooo quiet.  Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

LJ-TJ

Rick! Rick! I drive a 1975 21foot Winnebago. I belong to a group called Classic Winnebago's and RV's were the members help you beg,borrow,scrounge parts. Of course money is an object. While I know Cheep is not in our vocabulary, thrifty and frugal is. :laugh: :)ThmbUp

OldEdBrady

I bought a new 3.5k generator for about $300.  On my trailer, there was no generator to begin with.  So, I had to get a carrier and mount it on the rear bumper.  But, I've had no problems with it at all.  I exercise it monthly (using as much 110V as possible) to keep it up to par.  Had it about 3 years or so now, and the only thing I've had to do to it was add gas.

Now, I don't know how extensive the company is that I bought it from, but it was Big 5 Sports (the last word may have been something slightly different, but you get the idea).