Sta-bil shelf life?

Started by HandyDan, November 13, 2012, 03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HandyDan

I have a couple of bottles of marine grade Sta-bil that is at least 3 years old.  They have both been opened and partly used.  Does anyone know if there is a shelf life on opened bottles of Sta-Bil?  Is this still safe to use for this winter?  Thanks.
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

Oz

According to the Sta-bil site, it's 2 years after the bottle has been opened.

• Q: What is the shelf life of STA-BIL® Fuel Stabilizer?
    A: The shelf life of all STA-BIL® brand products is 2 years after the bottle has been opened, provided it has been tightly capped and stored in a cool, dry place.  If the product has not yet been opened, you should use the color of the fluid as an indicator. If the product is still bright red, it is fine to use. If the product has turned to av ery dark red (or brown) color, we recommend purchasing a new bottle.  It will not harm anything if you use an old bottle of STA-BIL® brand, it just may not be as effective.

Here is the reference link:

http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/faq.aspx#3
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

HandyDan

Thanks, Mark.  I don't know how I missed the Q & A part of the website when I looked at it.  I see that it is only good for two years but what I didn't know was that what I have isn't meant for storage use.  When I attended a winterization class at our local marine for my boat, they specified using the marine grade Sta-Bil for storage since the red stuff was for gasoline only and not for ethanol added gasoline.  The Q & A says differently:                               I'm buying new red stuff. 
Q: What is the difference between STA-BIl Fuel Stabilizer, Marine Formula STA-BIL, and the new STA-BIL Ethanol Treatment products?
A: STA-BIL® Fuel Stabilizer is designed for use during STORAGE of any gasoline equipment or vehicle stored for 30 days or more, or used infrequently. It will keep gas fresh for 12 months, and help prevent corrosion, and gum and varnish formation. It is effective in all gasolines, including Ethanol blends, including E-85.
Marine Formula STA-BIL® Ethanol Treatment was designed for use at every fill up for marine engines (boats, jetskis) to protect against the damaging effects experienced when using Ethanol blended fuels -- including corrosion caused by water attraction, and fuel system plugging caused by deposit loosening.
New STA-BIL Ethanol Treatment is designed for use at every fill up for all gasoline automotive and small engines for protection against these same problems.

1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star