76 Chieftain/m400 brake rebuild kits?

Started by bitbyter, October 12, 2012, 03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitbyter

I've searched the forum and can track down some of the part numbers that i would need, but i don't see anyway to track down rebuild kits.  Can you get a rebuild kit for the master cylinder and front disc brake caliper pistons??
Learn something new every day, otherwise it's the ssdd, why even get out of bed.

Oz

From what I found using "brake rebuild" in the message search, it looks like NAPA.

In the Member Area, Resources, there's several listings to try under "Brakes".
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

DaveVA78Chieftain

At top right of this page under Dave's place select "Dodge Brake Systems"
on my brake page scroll down to "Dodge Motorhome Brake Parts - Hydralic System Reference Data".  On the parts page scroll down to:
"M-400 1975-Up
RM-350 1973-74".
A 76 chassis should have a hydro-boost system that is powered by the power brake system.  The M400 system up is described under the "M400 1974 and Later (Hydroboost)" link on my first page.

Dave
[move][/move]

bitbyter

Yea, saw that, but he caliper pics are all wrong.  That has a single piston caliper shown.  So not sure the rest would be right also???  With knowing it has a dual piston caliper make it a model that i should look for parts on that page?
Learn something new every day, otherwise it's the ssdd, why even get out of bed.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Information has been changing through the years.  This should be the correct information:
Dodge P/N
3732927 (Driver side)
3732926 (Passenger side)
3744499 (Rebuild Kit)

Try the following cross refs:
Bendix
Driver Side:
R55682
Passenger Side:
R55681

NAPA
Driver Side:
CAL SE4823 (Remanufactured)
Passenger Side:
CAL SE4822 (Remanufactured)

Raybestos
Driver Side:
RC4042 (FRC4042)
Passenger Side:
RC4041 (FRC4041)

if you have to rebuild the original then you have to obtain the piston and seal seperately
NAPA:
Piston: 85001S
Seal: UP 519

Ensure rails the calipers ride on are clean and lubricated or they can bind up.

Hope that helps - Dave
[move][/move]

bitbyter

Thanks  That's what i love about this site....fast, great help....

So the the raybestos mc 39012 should be right?  Just wondering because when looking them up online there are prices all over the place.  Any Ideas how to make sure that is the right part for my rig?  I know things get changed around when it comes to brakes.

Thanks again for all the help.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Far as I know the catalog listing on the Raybestos site is accurate.

http://www.raybestos.com/wps/portal/raybestos/c1/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3g_Ex8TYycv72BXk2BD0yAny0ATAwgAykdiypsFwOWJ0W3m7elv5Gdk4G7iZ2FgZGoZ4O9namZgaWhOQHc4yLX4bQfL4zbfzyM_N1W_IDc0wiDLRBEArSHgXw!!/dl2/d1/L2dJQSEvUUt3QS9ZQnB3LzZfU0JQRTFIRzIwMEtQNTBJMjQ2NU5UUTIwNTA!#

Select Medium Duty Truck
Year 1976
Dodge Truck
M400
And then use then, like it says, "Hold Ctrl key to select multiple" categories.

I use this type of information 2 ways.  Directly for the Raybestos P/N and I also use the Raybestos P/N as a cross to other aftermarket Mfg P/N's (many no longer retain the original dodge P/N).  I can usually find equivalent brake parts at NAPA or Bendix this way.  Many ways to skin the cat.

BTW - Dodge changed the ref designation of RM350 to M400 for model years 74 forward.  The aftermarket did not necessarily follow through with that change.  When looking for a front rotor, use RM350 not M400.   Other parts can be found that way also.

Dave
[move][/move]