New Electronic 460/440 HEI on old 413?

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 18, 2008, 06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaRaySRV16O

Sent: 2/6/2005 9:23 PM

Does anyone know if the newer 426 & 440 HEI can be swapped into a 413 with a minimum of problems? I just replaced the cap & rotor & ign coil on my '72. Noticed it has the old single point breakers in the distributor. Seen some parts places that have dual points available for the OEM 413 distributor too. Had dual points on my '70 Cutlass W-31 & they were always a pain to setup. I would like to convert to a HEI breakerless ign system if it is something I can do easily with junkyard parts. Any suggestions?

Also thinkin a TBI system would make life simpler too.

Regards,

Robert Donley

Jenison, MI

Sent: 2/7/2005 2:42 AM

Yes SeaRay, the electronic ignition is a popular upgrade.  You can either scavenge the parts from a junk yard and do it yourself, or there are a couple of kits on the market.  It seems to me that there have been prior posts on this subject -- you might do a message search to find them.  Either way you go, though, it is a pretty simple job -- swap out distributor, add a ECM, and do a little bit of wiring.  Of course, you will also need to re-set the timing.

John

Sent: 2/7/2005 3:19 AM

Thanx for the info John. I'll be makin the junk yard rounds real soon.

Regards,

Robert Donley

Jenison, MI

Sent: 2/7/2005 7:16 AM

I would assume that any dual point distributor for a 413 would be for the high performance passenger car 413s, and would have different advance curves than the 413-1 in a motorhome.   I associate dual point distributors with the need for better ignition at high rpms - well above the 3000 rpm my engine is usually turning.  I dont know that I have ever run the engine over 3600 rpm.

Sent: 2/7/2005 2:42 PM

Hi Denison,

I am thinkin' you are correct about the advance curve. Since I haven't dug into the distributor I am not even aware if it is vacuum+weights or how they accomplish it. If the dual points are mounted without changing any weight springs, than nothin' outta' change as far as advance goes.

Dwell will still be set in the same manner & to the same 28-32 deg. spec. From what I remember of my 350 Olds W-31, it was rather tedious getting both points set the same.

I'm not planning on high RPMs, just considering dual points as a low cost alternative to converting to a breakerless HEI sytstem. I like the idea of not having to mess with points & dwell settings, & higher current loads that wear out plugs & points faster, that's all.