Chevy 454 Oil pressure gauge/sending unit trouble - stuck on 60psi

Started by moonlitcoyote, September 14, 2012, 09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonD

Quote from: moonlitcoyote on July 04, 2013, 10:58 AM
Question.. I found the wiring harness that goes to the 2 wire sensor (still dont know the name of it) would the wire I'm looking for be in with those?
Appears to be!

Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

moonlitcoyote

So I found the wire, it was up inside the black casing that holds the wires. It goes from the sensor up to the left side of the engine right inside the dog house.

Bought a new sensor and hooked it all up

BUT the other sensor is leaking, the one with 2 wires and I cannot buy one anywhere. I checked 2 auto parts stores and they cant even order it. It's not even listed as a dealer item.. So other than changing out the engine I am at a loss as to what to do now... Any ideas??

MJ

MotorPro

Find a real parts store with a counter person who knows what they are doing. Very commen sender.

DaveVA78Chieftain

If you cannot find one of those, then we can use a little different one but would require changing the connector at the sender

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Oil-Pressure-Switch/_/N-8znc6?filterByKeyWord=457874&fromString=search&fromType=oem
or
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Oil-Pressure-Switch/_/N-8znc6?itemIdentifier=123802_0_0_

They all work basically work the same, just different connectors

(Source: Chevy Motorhome Service Manual)

Dave
[move][/move]

moonlitcoyote

Napa didnt have it either and they even called their tech center, the tech center said they dont have anything they recommend replacing it with..Which brings me back to the thought that you would have to replace the entire engine if this part went bad, how can that be?

The problem with the alternate ones you posted Dave is the thread size is different, mine is Thread Size : 1/4" x 18 NPT and the alternates are Thread Size:1/8 x 27 NPTF Dryseal

This is a pain in the butt and I thought the 454 was common enough that it would be easy to get any part.

bluebird

MJ the one that Dave gave you a link for from NAPA has the thread size you stated.

Part Number: ECH OP6707                     Product Line: Echlin Ignition Parts                     

Look at it again. It should be the switch you need.

DaveVA78Chieftain

If the NAPA near you does not have OP6707 (1/4 x 18) that fits your connector then get

OP6632 which is also (1/4x18) but with different connectors.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=ECHOP6632_0366101857

That indicates it is in stock at the store near my office.

Sorry, I sould have looked at the thread size for the actual one.  I missed that.  The one I just listed though does have the correct size.

I am getting these recommendations from the Chevrolet Motorhome Chassis Service Guide, page 7-42 (pdf page 137).  Not pulling them out of the air.

Dave
[move][/move]

moonlitcoyote

As I stated .....

Quote from: moonlitcoyote on July 06, 2013, 08:30 PM
Napa didnt have it either and they even called their tech center, the tech center said they dont have anything they recommend replacing it with.

moonlitcoyote

Thanks Dave, I dont mind changing the connector, I should just have to cut the end off and splice in the new connector right? I will check and see if napa has that one available.

DaveVA78Chieftain

QuoteI should just have to cut the end off and splice in the new connector right?

Yes  (female spade connectors on the wires)

Like I said, shows in stock at my local store.

It would be Duralast PS134 at autozone

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/_/N-8znc6?itemIdentifier=123893_0_0_

Dave
[move][/move]

moonlitcoyote

Well shoot, Napa is closed today and AZ and oreilleys dont have it in stock. Oh well maybe when we move to a new town someone will have it. Thanks for all the help Dave.

MJ

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Rickf1985

I was wondering that myself since the sender being talked about appears to be the safety switch for the electric fuel pump and not the oil pressure sender.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Muckity Muck should know for sure.  She was driving all over the southeast at that time.

Dave
[move][/move]

M & J

I cant remember. I know we looked all over hell for that sender but cant recall if she found it.

And looks like Mark ended the muckity muck over the weekend. Fun while it lasted.
M & J

Oz

It's an important item.  Would like to clear-up the what the correct sending unit looks like and see it there are any sources to get them.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

moonlitcoyote

LOL, I dont remember if I ever fixed it. Thats not good, huh? Guess I'm going to have to crawl under it soon and take a look to see if I can tell if I changed it.

HandyDan

1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

DaveVA78Chieftain

That all happened when the situation with the little one went south.  With all the frustration and the issues you had on the ride south, I do not think the leaking one was every fixed.  You did, as posted above, fix the pressure gauge problem (http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,6609.msg36998.html#msg36998).

Dave
[move][/move]

moonlitcoyote

well I have this topic bookmarked, so after court Tuesday I'll know more and can get back to work on things that are broken.

moonlitcoyote

So I found the sensor in the jeep, guess I never installed it. I will do that this week if I can remember where it goes.

moonlitcoyote

Project complete! I finally got under the winny and put in the new sensor. I used p/n PS134 from Autozone Cost $6.69. I did have to cut off the connector and splice in female spade connectors. But that was easier than dealing with the mosquitoes that bit me everywhere.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Kool MJ.  Glad to hear it all worked out as planned.   :)clap

Silly girl - And they say men are the procrastinators!   :P

Dave
[move][/move]

moonlitcoyote

LOL, I'm THE WORST procrastinator .. I just have better things to do with my time, like hunting and fishing