I need your knowledge about lift out my engine.....

Started by Cheiftain -84, August 04, 2014, 05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheiftain -84

....from my Winnebago Cheiftain -84.
Should I do it from the front or can I lift it up and out from the driverside?

I'll be happy for all answers, here in Sweden there is a very little experience.

Thomas Bill, Karlstad, Sweden

pvoth1111

Right out the front...put it on jackstands and remove the front tires and things should all be pretty accessible......I never done it either ( on an RV ) BTW.
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

Cheiftain -84

Thank you for the answer, now it seems to be a "little" less komplex ( he, he..).
Do you or anybody know if I must remove the exhaust manifold and perhaps have a link to some page at internet?

Thanks again, Thomas Bill. :-)

Rickf1985

I have never done it but I was surfing around the other day and somewhere in this forum are pictures of one coming out through the drivers door.

pvoth1111

IMHO if taking it out the side door you half to raise the engine way way up in the air...that's gonna take a extra large cherry picker or a forklift.....then you have to have room tons of room on the drivers side to maneuver everything around....you have to take out the seat....what about the steering wheel it looks to me like its in the way......gonna make a mess on the carpet too.....taking it out the front while close quarters you only need to lift it a few inches.....I've seen pics of em going out the door too and that just seems stupid to me....the grill comes off,  the radiator comes out there it is a couple of motor mount bolts unbolt the tranny and flywheel and a few hoses and wires and its out of there. I could have mine out in four hours of not real hard work....So out the side door I just don't see the payoff. I suppose others may see it different.
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

legomybago

Ive done one of these jobs.....pull the heads off the engine before you lift it out of the bay. I didnt have a drivers door, so I removed some furniture, laid down some plywood, brought the cherry picker inside the coach, lifted the engine up and back and set it on the plywood, took the cherry picker back outside, slid the short block to the coach door, grabbed it with the cherry picker and took outside. Pain in the A*SS....I've heard of people pulling the windshields and using a fork lift? Not sure if thats any easier.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Cheiftain -84

OK. It looks the best way to take the engine out from the front.

Thank´s for all answers  :)clap

Thomas Bill

Rickf1985

I think the one I saw coming out the door was like mine, an 88-89. The body is solid across the front so that option is out. A normal cherry picker will go that high no problem. The carb is flush with the floor so the oil pan has to go just above the height of the carb. In a normal car or truck this dimension is greater, the carb is lower in the bay and the oil pan has to clear the radiator support. My worry would be the fact that the arm would have to be fully extended on the lift so the weight on the engine would gave to be reduced as much as possible, manifolds, heads, flywheel, water pump. All would have to come off to be safe. Most cherry pickers fully extended are rated at 500 lbs. A fully dressed big block is close to 900 lbs.! You can lose weight fast though. The heads are close to 100 lbs. each and the exhaust manifolds are probably 30 each if they are the old cast iron ones. The intake manifold is at least 50 lbs.. There is 300 lbs. just in stuff that has to come off anyway. If you are careful and take your time you can lift it and move back a hair and set it on the floor and then move the arm in on the lift to make things more stable to move around. As far as the carpet, plywood over lots of cardboard and more cardboard on top of the plywood and you will good and clean underneath. Oh, The transmission will have to come off before any of this starts. That way you have room to move back into the hole.

Cheiftain -84

:(  Hmm, I think I had to check how deep the oilpan are and doublecheck the space in the front.
I think my front- and sidedoors are a little smaller than the later models (88/89). I hope that I can take off both cylinderheds before start lift out the engine and it would be much easyer if the tranny did'nt had to be removed from the RV.
I have no hurry, it will be a winterjob because first I'm going to try mounting a Banks turbo (early model), it seems to fit but I'm afraid of the passengers can got a "hot floor"  ;) .

legomybago

I just relalized he has 6.2. I thought it was a 454. Still similar
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

joanfenn

Cheiftain -84

Thank you for the link. Now I'm quite sure that the easyest way is from the front ( so far  :angel: ).
Yes, It's a 6.2 diesel in my RV.

:)ThmbUp Once again, thanks to all the answers and tips (I gladly take more).

Thomas Bill, Karlstad, Sweden

Rickf1985

That is not the one I was talking about, I was talking about one that came out the drivers door. That one there would involve gutting the whole interior.

Oz

Off:Topic

Okay, Banks turbo units somehow help to get an engine out of the RV?  I didn't see the connection. 

What do you do when you want to get into something totally not related to the original topic?.....
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Elandan2

Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Oz

I believe the message posting rules say something about starting a new topic, but I could be wrong.   :laugh:

Elandan2

Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Oz

I believe I did, maybe I did, perhaps I did.  But you've been around longer than I or anyone else and your memory is better than mine.

M & J

M & J

Cheiftain -84

Oooops  :angel: .
Have I done something wrong??? I think I wrote in the end of the last (and erased) message that I perhaps should come back in a NEW topic when I was rebuild the engine (who was lift out from the RV). The "turbo-talk" were one of the reason why I want to rebuild the engine.

Sorry if I broke the hard rules of the Forum, my translate did´nt understood  :laugh: .

I´ll come back some other place.

Rickf1985

Did you get the engine out yet? If you still need help with that by all means continue here. Once you get it out then start another thread on the rebuild.

Rick

Oz

Both rebuilding the motor and adding a turbo are different topics than removing it.  We don't do run on topics which go from one thing to another to another to another here.  It makes it impossible for people to find information on each topic later when it's all buried in one.

;)