New Converter

Started by Wendell, November 16, 2021, 04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wendell

Question for you all from Louisiana.  I would like to replace the old Phillips 301-A2 converter in my 74 Winnebago.  It's no longer charging the coach battery when plugged into shore power.  The Phillips has separate taps for the 12v loads and the connection to the battery for charging, etc.  The 12V loads run fine off the old converter, but again, it's no longer delivering power for charging.  I bought a new converter but it only has one lug  and it's for charging the battery. So, how can I use this, or do I need something different or something in addition to the new converter in order to make this work?

Mlw

I'm dealing with this problem myself.

With the old systems they use a separate transformer and a hand or automatic switch to select the powersource from battery to shore power. On VAC power the coach battery's are not used and charged with the leftover power of the Transformer. The less electrical lighting or other appliances you use, the more of the power is used to charge your battery.

The big disadvantage of this system is that the speed that your batteries are charged depends on how much power you use for other things. You probably also see a lot more fading in your lighting, the more power you use when on AC, and none or much less when you are on batterypower with batteries in a good condition. In my case the power on my coach wiring drop form 10 volts (all electric systems off) to 8 volts (all electric systems on). This will not do.

You don't give much information but as your new converter only has one outlet, it is probably going to replace your total shore power system, so you won't be needing it anymore. You connect your new converter to your shorepower and the output to your batteries. your coach electrical system will from now on always run from your batteries and your new converter will charge the batteries sufficiently so they will not be drained. This should be explained in the manual for your new converter that's added or you will need to download from the internet. Beware: When you have an automatic switch for shore power you will need to disconnect it to make it work.

It's just a different way of working. With the old system the batteries are placed out of the coach wiring system and charged with the left over power, with the new system your coach batteries will stay in use. The huge advantage is that you can use much more power than with the old transformer system, so i will be ripping it out as I will not be needing it anymore. And I would like to advice you to at least disconnect your AC from its feed before installing your new converter and plugging in your shore power to prevent short circuit and damage.

I'm going to work at it today, and will be posting the results at
https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?topic=16311.0

Good luck with installing

Wendell

Thanks for the advice.  I will be interested in your results.  The manual for my new converter is very sketchy at best.  It mostly talks about the battery charging capabilities. 

Mlw

Do you have the brand and type of your converter for me? And maybe a internetlink to the manual. If I know what I'm dealing with i maybe can find a good video explaining how the new converter works or explain it myself.

I've installed a lot of chargers in boats in the time I worked for a sailing yacht broker. I am unfortunately not very familiar with the charging system in our old RV's But there are a lot of messages to be found on internet about boiling batteries and the warning that you shouldn't forget to turn off the dual switch when connecting the RV to shore power or using the generator, tells me caution is advised when installing a new charger and keeping the old system intact.

Installing the charger will unfortunately shift to next week. As told I had a major short circuit last week and i had to fix this first. Doing this showed the former idiot has been hacking away at the wiring underneath the coach as well so this consumed a lot of time again. Next to that I have to work the coming 4 days.

Wendell

I got the new one installed.  I simply put the wires going to the positive terminal on the battery and the wires going to the fuse block into the screw lug on the new converter.  I also replaced the automatic reset circuit breaker near the battery.  I have no idea if it was bad or not, but it was probably original to the 1974 Winnie so I figured it could stand replacing.  There was only one neutral (ground) connection on the old controller so I simply put it in the neutral lug of the new charger converter.  I also attached the frame ground from the new converter to the ground that was in place for the old controller.  Everything seems to work properly.  I have 12v lights, etc. when connected to shore power or when it is running on the coach battery alone.  Tested the voltage at the battery and the converter is charging it properly at 14.5 volts or so.  The new converter has much better electronics to keep it from overcharging, etc.

The 12v system seems to be all good now.

DaveVA78Chieftain

***  Mlw ***

QuoteYou don't give much information but as your new converter only has one outlet, it is probably going to replace your total 220 volt system, so you won't be needing it anymore. You connect your new converter to your shorepower and the output to your batteries. your coach electrical system will from now on always run from your batteries and your new converter will charge the batteries sufficiently so they will not be drained. This should be explained in the manual for your new converter that's added or you will need to download from the internet. Beware: When you have an automatic switch for shore power you will need to disconnect it to make it work.

Mlw - This is primarily a USA based site therefore, please be careful when referring to power line voltages.  Standard voltage in USA is 110VAC rather than the 220VAC used in Europe.  Additionally, while most outlets in a USA home are 110VAC, the actual service to the house is 220VAC.  Many here simply do not know your standard voltage is 220VAC.

Dave
[move][/move]

Mlw

Hi Dave,

You are absolutely right. I've changed it. I know the main power in the USA is 110VAC.

@ Wendell it all sounds about right. Next week I will install my new charger en hope to be rid of the fading.

Electricity really is not that difficult when you can thing logically  :)ThmbUp :) :)ThmbUp

AOBrodie

The nominal single phase/split phase residential voltage in the United States is 120v / 240v.

Mlw

That I heard to.

In Europe we have standard 220 volt for residential power or 380 for high power appliances. (electrical stoves for example)

The original stickers and cars are still there in my RV stating 110VAC. Therefore my remarks to Dave.