The Do..(no not that do.)

Started by DELTA912, September 02, 2012, 04:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DELTA912

:) I'll post some stuff's later tomorrow. Or is it today? witch ever, after I get up is when it will happen.

I'll try to cover what I've done,will do,and PLAN to do.. oh and what I don't plan on doing W% .

You'll find that with me all the things hit me at the same time. So if your like me, you know what i mean.
Found an RV. 1976 Dodge spotsman W/ 360
Family Wagon by Travco!

DELTA912

Well now I've owned an RV of my own for some 80 days.
bought it for $250. with free tow by the sellers Dad.
the 360 engine blow a rod and shot oil up the carb.
as some 97K miles without rolling over.
THE RV is a 1976 DODGE sportsman W/ a 360 with 97K miles.
Maker is unknown too me i?? , HELP PLEASE !-!

Then found a 318 engine that later I found out was a $@!#@!  waste of $350.
the 318 has rust inside and not worth fixing.

On 8/29/2012 some one found a RV with a 360 in it, that the guy drove up to him house.
I walked up the street to go see it, Still warm and with 78K its a nice turn around.
Although the 360 is a bad engine to have I'll find a 318 later on and work my magic.(I don't put engines in)
RV had a few things I could use,so I snagged them up.(photo of that later)

Few days ago I got a visit from the guy across the street from me asking if I would have an rv parked in back to scrap it.
Hell ya,Parts for me.

____________________RV STUFF___________________________
Space Master Bathroom set up.
Trav' ler Stove top Oven Bottom.
Trav' ler fridge and Range fan.
Maker i?? ? Air heater and Water heater combo.
Bycool AC unit.All 12V in RV.
Sur-Flow Water pump W/ 25? Gallon tank.
Got 8 NEW 8.75 X 16R tires.6 on and 2 spare.
Got A FULL tank of LP for free. SWEET!!.

Family Wagon by Travco!

ClydesdaleKevin

Sounds good!  Our friend had nothing but problems with his 360 engine, and it only had 30K miles on it.  Finally died on the side of the road in Texas last year and he was forced to abandon it, and is back to living in a tent.  He wouldn't take our advice to just drop a 318 into it.

Glad you found some good deals!  Free is always a good price!

Kev

Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

brians1969

It was my understanding that the 318 and the 360 were the essentially same engine...just different heads.

ibdilbert01

Other than displacement, they are essentially the same engine.  When swapping, just keep in mind the 318s are internally ballanced and the 360 is externally ballanced, both on the harmonic balancer and on the torque converter.   All cards on the table, I would put my money on a 360, at least it wouldn't be working as hard as a 318 to move these heavy beasts down the road. 
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

DELTA912

It been a month and some, and Finely got the 360/727 in my back yard.Now the fun starts with the wait to get it in.
Ill get a photo or two and post on here when possible. Nothing really new other then it has a ROCHESTER QUADRAJET.

Family Wagon by Travco!

LJ-TJ

DELTA912

http://s561.beta.photobucket.com/user/DELTA912/library/360%20Engine

Now the photos where taken with a Track phone I bought, the phone plan ended but the camera is very good.

Look at the photos and tell me. There uncut so what you see is the way I took them and uploaded.

It's not a bad Engine, the rust is all outside from the stock 1974 radiator.
Family Wagon by Travco!

Elandan2

That engine has a Holley 2 barrel.  If you are thinking of using a 4 barrel, you will need to get a new intake.  Not a big problem, there are lots of them out there, both stock and aftermarket for the A engine.  Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

LJ-TJ

• :)ThmbUp Ok! So since you asked my opinion( NOT). If it ain't broke don't fix it. Since it's out take a pressure washer to it and clean it up and paint it. Trust me it's a heck of a lot easier to clean it up when it's out and on the pallet like you have it. Take some carb cleaner and clean up all the crap and rust and give her a good paint job. Change out the plugs,wire's oil and filter etc.While there real easy to get at. Maybe even change the vacuum lines. Most of the guys I've spoken with think the 360 is the better engine. Are you going to keep the air condition compressor or are you going to dump it? Engine looks good. Should dust off and tidy up nice.

Elandan2

I agree.  The 360 was put in MH service equipped just as your's is.  Since it came out of a motorhome, it is a -3 engine and will in all likelyhood, serve you well.  Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

DELTA912

The Engine from the RV was replaced with a - 1 - 360..

I might keep the ac,not sure. Don't like ac's, makes me hurt. But I do plan on getting the hard stuff looked at and replaced if needed.(might just do it anyway.)
Also the carb is going to get a cleaning and all. A must in my book.

The Trans lacks the hole in the bell housing, but i might use the original one from my rv.

1. Power wash.
2. Strip to fit for install.
3A. Replace whats needed and such.
3B. Install.
4. Finish all other stuff.

PS. Is there ANY info on A727 trans Number decoder? Hm? Plus the engine block has a plat but no numbers,Hmmm... Hm?
Family Wagon by Travco!

LJ-TJ

:laugh: Once you get all the scud cleaned off the engine block you might be amazed and what you find in the way of serial numbers :)rotflmao If you can see your way clear maybe go down to Harbor Freight and pick up an inexpensive engine stand. It will make all the difference in the world working on the engine. Take a close look on the passengers side of the engine block under or behind the exhaust manifold there may be a serial number there or check on the end of the drivers side of head. Might be a number there.

DELTA912

it reads 3418496 - 1 - 360 Then a big 6 after that.

Date reads 10 - 08 - 78. But the rv it came from was a 74-75.
Family Wagon by Travco!

DELTA912

I found an RV like mine... took me some 3 months but i found it.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/rvs/3461118755.html

If anyone is in LA, Ca let me know. id like to get all the info i can from the person if at all possible.
Family Wagon by Travco!

DELTA912

http://www.dodgetravcos.com/index.php?p=1_115_Class-C-Family-Wagon

Well after pulling out the twin furnace/water heater, i found a tag that read "Family Wagon".

After a Google search i found the Above site. Nice bit of kit. now it pains me that I've taken the "Original" out of it.

Oh well life moves on. Now im an owner of a collectors item. Just my luck. :) :)

Family Wagon by Travco!

LJ-TJ

ClydesdaleKevin

Very cool!  The fiberglass body means you won't have to worry about delamination or corrosion...SWEET!  Just keep the gelcoat waxed!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Oz

Interesting name for it.  It's a class C yet, a different kind of class C.  Champion/Titan called theirs a Trans-Van, and Winnebago and Itasca had versions too.  Sort of a "compact" fiberglass, Class C.

Congratulations!

:)   :)ThmbUp
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

DELTA912

In a way it's the BIG version of a Toyota based Sunrader..

Would LOVE to see if any one has another, or would buy the one like mine in LA area in CA.
Family Wagon by Travco!

DELTA912

Copy copy copy... Copy? Naw, We had a big storm hit here and took out the front portion of my tarp.
So sad, it lasted until JUST BEFORE the new year. I guess i'll flip it around and use it that way next year if need be.

Temp at around 5pm was 45ish. with a NW wind at 15mph. Gusts up to 25-30mph!!

Somewhere in that time it took no more and that was it. All is good tho, the hood and such don't need that much to protect from.
Being the engine is goofed and COVERED in black goo, i mean Burnt oil.

Got a photo of the tarp Post storm and after i fixed it to get by.

Also get to the damage on the Drivers rear side. shown below..

(PS resize if need be, otherwise ill use the camera the way it is now for posts on here.)
Family Wagon by Travco!

Oz

When you embed photos from off-site, you can use whatever size you prefer.  The image in the post will auto re-size to 500 wide but, if you click on it, it will blow-up to a full-size image so all the detail can bee seen!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

DELTA912

Any one ever try rear hatch shocks on a Sportsman van hood?

If anyone has done it id like to see what it looks like and how it was done.

PS summer is do in soon, come late April early May I'm hitting the rv project hard.

(hope i dont get K.O'ed!! :)rotflmao )
Family Wagon by Travco!

DELTA912

Link for me to look at later.

__________________NOTE TO ME___________________

http://vangraveyard.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2013-07-02T00:43:00-07:00&max-results=7&reverse-paginate=true

Green van Family Wagon Sticker.. Would like to get it or one like it.
Family Wagon by Travco!

DELTA912

Just a fast update. I have a CB antenna mounted on the mirror. And this sweet Kraco 4090 8 track am/fm 40 ch CB radio.

Got it installed and sounds like pure awesome. Only a 2 speaker setup with a CB speaker dedicated.

PHOTOS WELL BE HERE WHEN THE RAIN GOES BY...WE need the rain here in this area.
Family Wagon by Travco!