tearing down the heads 440

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 18, 2008, 05:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 2/15/2005 1:29 AM

Ok,I decided to tear down the heads on our winnie 440 engine cause we want to go to Arizona this summer and want a reliable vehicle.I'am unemployed now and have nothing to do,LOL.. I have done some Older Volkwagons in my younger days but this 440 is a challenge.Can someone give me a few things to look for and what size pistons and rings do I put in and rods and things like that.How do you know if you should use std .000 or .030 or .060 etc..I'am not taking the engine out of the winnie.I have so far got the passenger side down to the head bolts and have not started the drivers side.Any and  all help would be appreciated.
Remember Waylon Rules........3 years ago yesterday we lost Waylon Jennings.
He is gone but not forgotten..

Sent: 2/17/2005 6:50 AM

If you are only doing the heads, it wont matter about piston oversize or rings. If you take the heads to a decent machine shop to be rebuilt, they will take care of doing any oversizing of valve stems, etc. Be sure you take it to a machine shop who knows what you mean when you say it is a 440-3, NOT a 440-1. I would look for a machine shop that also does commercial vehicle engine work.
While you are at it, see if they can supply the gasket set. There will be a gasket set for doing a valve job, and a more complete gasket set for doing a complete engine rebuild. Unless you are going to take the crankpan off and take the pistons out, you wont need the complete gasket set.
Based on the cost of having the heads rebuilt, and the other costs of doing the "valve job", you will really need the service manual. It contains all of the procedures, though it was written assuming prior mechanical experience. You could try to get one from ebay, or from www.moparmanuals.com. You should also have the dodge motor home chassis parts catalog -- for the diagrams and pictorials of parts associated with the engine.
If you are going to take out the pistons, you wont know whether you need to go to an oversize until you have the pistons out and can measure the top part of the cylinder, just below the ridge rim. And if it is worn enough to require overboring, then the engine will have to come out. I am one who is willing to let the cylinder have a few thousandths of taper - worn bigger at the top by maybe .004 to .006 inch, but most shops that do rebuilds would go to .010 oversize pistons for sure. If there is cylinder wall damage, such as scoring or rust pits, they would also use oversize pistons, but again, I might not. Im cheap.
Part of a good engine job would be to replace the core plugs on the block while you have the heads off and the manifolds out of the way.

Sent: 2/20/2005 12:17 AM

Thanks for the info.I decided to pop out a piston and guess what one ring was broke.Not a fresh break.Looks like it has been that way for awhile.Guess it was good idea to pull heads.Heads look good.I'am cheap also and have done the same to a Geo recently.Gonna go ahead and pull all of them.Also the connecting rod bearing is clevite 010 .Thanks for al the tips..

Sent: 2/20/2005 9:29 AM

there is nothing much "tighter than an old yankee" [like me]. since you intend on leaving the block in the chassis here's a few thoughts;
1. if you have no unbroken seat to valve contact leave them alone[no valve job]. a little wobble in the valve stem to guide is ok also. just check for loose or missing guides if they are inserts. check for broken or, collasped valve springs. remove any burrs on the valve stems. check for rocker damage. put new seals on the valves. get a quality composition head gaskets.
2, with the block--cut the ridge out at the top[less ridge usually means a truer bore] and remove pistons. if no major bore damage use a glaze breaker with keosene to clean up the bore.
check pistons for land or skirt damage. use the "softest" rings you can buy-usually the cheapest[i.e. cast iron]. they seat faster and conform better to any bore variations. don't go nuts inspecting end gap clearance on the rings--just make sure you have clearance by filing rings if necessary.
3.check for scoring or discoloration on big end of rods and crank. if you had good oil pressure you "bottom end" is probably ok. replace bearings at your own discretion--plastigage is real cheap insurance.
have fun!

Sent: 2/20/2005 5:58 PM

Thanks,However am not sure how to replace seals on the valves without taking them apart.HOW do you change the seals?????.Won a set of clevite pistons new with pins.Got to figure how to get the pins of my old pistons.Had one broken that had been there for some time.Not sure how the engine even worked.Whats is the best head gasket to buy.Have no idea why I did this but my winnie does not have a generator but does have the space.Someone had a 74 winnie in Panama City for 500.00 with a generator so me and the wife went down there today and gave them 500.00 for the whole thing.Amazing thing after putting in about 8 gals of gas and priming a bit this engine started great and runs better than mine.This needs tireas all of them are flat and rotted.Any ideas here how to move this thing.I have 2 weeks to get it off her property..Like I needed another motorhome.Just wanted the gen.But had to take all.Clear title and all.Anybody need anything...

Sent: 2/20/2005 7:42 PM

thought you had the heads off. you do need a valve spring compressor if the heads are off to put in new seals.
are you saying you have a broken wrist pin? that's tough to do. even tougher not to do cylinder damage if that occurs.
sounds like with your new purchase you can make one good winnie from two.
as far as the wrist pin removal goes if they don't have retainers in the piston pin bores then the pins are an interference fit in the small end of the con rods.
to remove them you need a little heat on the small o.d. of the rod, a "saddle" to support the side and skirt of the piston, an arbor press [or the equivalent], and another pin to push out the wrist pin.

Sent: 2/21/2005 12:36 AM

Yes the heads are off.The broken ring is a oil ring off the piston.Just want to remove the the old pistons from the rods.Also what is the procedure of the seals if I get a spring compressor.Thanks