Engine Block Identification

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 18, 2008, 04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 2/18/2005 12:56 AM

I have a 1976 Chieftain M-400 with a 440-4, I know the 440-3 is concidered heavy duty. What is the 440-4 ? Thanks for any info on this ? Also I have to say this is a great site and has been very helpful for so many subjects. Thank's so much, Dean

Sent: 2/19/2005 7:45 PM

If your engine i.d. pad just below the distributor said it is a 440-4, then I guess it is. But I dont think you can go by the numerics cast into the side of the block, because as far as I know the blocks were the same for cars, trucks, boats, stationary engines. So it might still be a 440-3....if the i.d. hidden under the side of the distributor says so.
440s of different flavors were used in powerboats, and they appeared in portable power generators, even in some construction equipment to run hydraulic motors and winches. I never heard of one being used in an airplane though. Mostly the airplane crowd uses engines developed from the Chev. 350 if they were going to modify an automotive engine.

Sent: 2/21/2005 1:05 AM

That's some great info, I'll have to check that pad again, I remember it when I had the engine out. Thank's.