Why a resonator? Source for '69 D24 Exhaust Parts

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 18, 2008, 04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 2/17/2005 8:13 PM

In my dodge parts book, the m-300 chassis shows a resonator in addition to a muffler for the 318. How come? I would think that the 440 would be louder and need it but it doesn't have one!

A resonator is just a smaller muffler, right?

Where can I get exhaust parts for my '69 d24? The guy at napa says his books don't go that far back.
brian

Sent: 2/17/2005 11:15 PM

Brian,
Find another dealer with an older walker catalog to cross reference the numbers. Get the walker numbers and call the NAPA guy back.If you can't find it, I may be able to help you get the numbers from my parts guy here (he's old as dirt and never throws out catalogs!)

The resonators just change the exhaust note, but now we have better designed mufflers than we did back then, and the resonators are just extra restriction. Don't sweat it! Wlaker actuall will show it included with the pipe, but when you order it and get it, the resonator won't be there!

Alternatively, any M or RM-series chassis up to 1981 uses the same exhaust parts. You will probably just have to have a look at the "closest match" to get what you want. All the Y pipes for 318 (LA engine, not the '58-'66 wideblock 318!) and 360 are the same fit even though there are two routings ('swept back' and 'under the oil pan') almost everything else is kind of "generic motorhome" exhaust straight pipe to truck round muffler straight to 90 degree elbow and the tailpipe. It's all bolted on the right frame rail and out the right side behind the wheel.

Simple... and cheap! the way I like it!

Tom

Sent: 2/18/2005 8:49 AM

Wow, thanks for the info Tom. Could you get me a xerox of the page in the Walker catalog? It would be 1969 D24 318ci 159" w.b.

thanks again
brian

Sent: 2/18/2005 8:55 AM

Brian,
Sure, give me a day or two and I'll see if I can't get all the M series pages. I may just post them and the cross referenced replacements. More to come!

Tom

Sent: 2/19/2005 8:22 AM

Brian,
here's the  closest (and still available) match.

Note that the Y pipe for a 318/360 is not listed. Use the one walker has for a 318/360 in a 77 dodge truck. All other parts will work with no mods. You will need the 47555 extension pipe, too.

Sent: 2/19/2005 10:41 AM

Does walker have a 159" wheelbase 318 listing?
I believe the 440 is a different diameter...maybe it doesn't matter?

thanks,
brian

Sent: 2/21/2005 5:07 PM

Pipes are the same diameter from walker. Tail pipe is larger than stock 313 original.

'77 front y pipe is the same outlet diameter into the "big block" front pipe, and comes out in the same place.

The ony exception is the length of the rear pipe, depends on the whelbase, and it's a straight pipe flared on tailpipe end. You can get any muffler shop to make it (cheap) or use 2 ft ready made extensions, but that's more calmps, and a messy install (more joints, more potential rusty or leaky areas).

The best way to install exhaust for trouble free and years of service is the absolute least amount of joints. Some muffler shops will actually weld entire "one piece" exhaust systems, but then the muffler is a hassle to change (you have to cut it off)