Anyone on the east coast or been there?

Started by moonlitcoyote, August 13, 2012, 01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moonlitcoyote

I am starting to map out my route to Georgia and wondering if anyone that lives in the east or has been there knows of any truck stops/rest stops or anywhere I may stop for the night. We are only going to travel 2-3 hours a day so my toddler isnt strapped in all day throwing fits. Besides we are not in a hurry to get anywhere. I am looking at taking 95 south all the way to Savannah.

Oz

Yup, that's the primary route and not really any hang-ups along the way... except... Washington DC loop.  It's an Asphalt Auschwitz, if I may coin a phrase.  On I95, there's no really good way to avoid it though without going way out of your way.

There are truckstops and rest stops all the way down aplenty.  There's no lack for them at all.

Check out the valuable resource: "Stops Along the Weigh" - - Rest stops, Wal-Marts, Flying J Truck Stops... Just hover over the Member Area tab on the nav bar above and you'll see it.

And, there's an awesome,interactive campground map too whichcovers all the USA and Canada as well.  It gives locations, links, contact info...

Like I said, there's a lot here for everyone's benefit. 
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Froggy1936

The senic route is US 1 A nd you can stay at most Wal Marts if you ask them where they want you to park. Also you have video security and patrolled reguarly all night If you plan you can make a small purchase at ea one Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

moonlitcoyote

Froggy, I actually thought about taking route 1 but with all the traffic and starts and stops it doesnt seem like I would get very far in 2-3 hours.

Oz

1 A is really the alternate route and it's okay but, as you said, there are a lot of starts and stops and you don't get very far very fast.  But you did tell us you were going to get there very slowly - LOL!

moonlitcoyote

LMAO  Yes I will get there very slowly, but preferably not as slow as a snail on crutches. I need to get there or at least out of here before the snow flies.
So I go and look up rest stops in NH along I-95 and the only one it shows is in the middle of the ocean :(

Oz

Well, I can't say what's above Pennsyltucky, I only know what's below it.

Too funny!  The rest stop pin is set like a few hundred miles off shore... unless you zoom out to like Moon view, then it's back on land...  But hey!  Where else can you find a rest stop in the Atlantic with Restrooms, Phones, Picnic Tables, Vending Machines, Pet Walk Area & Handicap Facilities?!

:)rotflmao 

moonlitcoyote

And so my trip starts Sunday. Getting everything packed up here then going to head 4hrs south to my fathers house where I need to try and fix my old van to take with us since I cant tow the van I am currently driving. Hubby almost had a job offer today, I kind of hope a job will wait until I have a vehicle to take with us.

Oz

Can't wait until you're rollin' down the road and a new adventure begins for you.  I hope the job works out!

moonlitcoyote

Thanks Mark, the job was in TN so not a terrible place to end up for awhile. But they didnt call back so just going to concentrate on getting the van done. Got me some AAA RV today too. :)

Oz

moonlitcoyote

Well we made the 175 mile trip today from my land to my dads house. And it was totally uneventful, YEAH!! no problems or anything. Kept the speed right around 55mph and the homebago handled quite nicely. Next time I head out I'll refill the tank and see what my mileage was.

Oz

tiinytina

Yea! trouble free trips are always the best!  :)clap
Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

moonlitcoyote

Well we got hung up at my fathers house fixing a bunch of little things, buying a toad and such. Now we are waiting for a catalytic heater to arrive and also for my welder man to get my hitch built. The plan is to head out on Oct 6th. 1st stop will/should be Walpole MA, at a wal-mart there. 2nd stop is a bit iffy since the walmart in that area is a small one that doesnt look like it has much parking. So either Norwalk CT wal-mart or the Darien CT service plaza. Having a difficult time finding stop #3 as there doesnt seem to be any wal-marts or truck stops 3 hours from Darien CT. I'm really missing the western states with their state parks and BLM land. State parks out East here cost as much as any campground even for primitive camping.

Oz

The weather is still good and it's a short delay.  Still, I'm sure you're itching to get on your way.  Once you hit the road, the miles will melt away.

ClydesdaleKevin

I grew up in Mystic, CT, and yep, EVERYthing in Connecticut is more expensive than anywhere else...lol.  On the bright side, if you are taking 95 South, there are rest areas all along the way.  Once you hit western CT it gets pretty congested with less rest areas, but its a small state and you'll be through it before you know it.  95 WILL take you through NYC, just so ya know, so if you're smart you'll plan your trip so that you end up driving through NYC and over the bridge after 9pm at night to avoid deadlock traffic....or if you go through NYC on a Sunday its not so bad any time of the day.

Have a fun and safe trip!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

moonlitcoyote

Finally got my hitch done, here's the base plate the welder made for me. It's not pretty but it worked and it brings the hitch up high enough to be level with the ball on the winny.

Cant wait for the heater to arrive so I can get it installed and hit the road, it's getting chilly here now.

Kev.. I did notice a lot of rest areas but the book I looked at online said NO overnight parking in any rest area in CT and many other states. Which sort of ruined our plans of just stopping at a rest area for the night. So now I'm trying to research where the wal-marts are that are close to I-95. Thanks for the tip on NYC I will try to drive through NY on a Sunday since I dont plan on driving at night.

dont know why only 1 picture came out. I must have messed it up somehow

ClydesdaleKevin

A lot of rest areas SAY no overnight parking, but we overnight park there anyways...never been bothered or ticketed by any official, security guard, or police officer.  The key is to leave bright and early and not make a lot of noise...and don't do anything illegal while there (a lot of our aquaintances at Renfaires smoke weed a LOT, which is something I wouldn't recommend at a rest area, especially if the sign says no overnight parking).

Again, don't sweat the sign.  We've overnighted on dozens of occasions at rest areas that said no overnight parking.  Never ever been hassled or bothered by anyone doing so.  We usually pull in for the night on trips around 9pm, and are back on the road by 8am. 

Another great place to stay are Flying J truck stops.  They have RV specific parking areas, dump stations, RV specific fuel lanes, and propane for cheaper than most any other place.  If you get a Flying J/Pilot card, it makes the gas and propane even cheaper, and reduces the dump fee to 5 bucks instead of 10.  They have a small amount of groceries and prepared foods too, coffee and beverages including beer depending on the state and county, and most of them have a Denny's attached if you want breakfast or whatnot.

The card gives you discounts at Pilot too, but the pumps are usually harder to get into, and usually the only place to park the RV is with the semi trucks...not a problem at the larger Pilot truck stops, but a lot of the smaller Pilot truck stops have back-in parking only for trucks, which isn't an option with a tow vehicle, unless you want to pull in nose first, then disconnect the toad before backing the RV out, then hooking it back up.

We actually plan our trips out west and back around Flying J locations.  They are that convenient.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Oz

Quote from: moonlitcoyote on September 16, 2012, 06:39 PM
Finally got my hitch done, here's the base plate the welder made for me. It's not pretty but it worked and it brings the hitch up high enough to be level with the ball on the winny.

Could you post that photo and info on your 4 down towing topic, please?  :)

moonlitcoyote

Sorry Mark, I have been ill, but I got it posted over on the 4 down towing topic.

Got my catalytic heater in the mail yesterday and got it installed today. Just got to finish up a few things and we will be on our way. I have decided not to wait until Oct 6th to leave since it's getting quite cold here atm. Only 39 degrees tonight. BRR

gadgetman

What kind of cat heater did you install ? I just ordered a wave 6.

moonlitcoyote

I installed the Wave 6. The clearance's say 4in from the bottom and sides but I installed my horizontally 8in from the floor and the floor felt like it was going to catch fire with it set on high. So I need to change something, just not sure what yet. If you install yours vertically, I think the clearance would be ok because the bottom doesnt get as hot as the sides.

gadgetman

Mine will have to be vertical. It has to be mounted on a closet door so it will be about 18 in off the floor. Across the hallway will be only 24" they say 30". But that would be the bathroom door, so leaving it open should be the fix. Which will be nice to have a warm bathroom :)

I will install a flashing at the top of the heater just to be sure it dosent overheat my door its mounted on. It will just be hung up when I need to use it. I already installed a through pipe for under the fridge for access to the propane quick connect.

moonlitcoyote

I switched mine to vertical today and I just now turned it on, so will see if the floor still heats up as much. I mounted mine on the wall right outside the furnace, so I just had to T into the existing propane line. Unfortunately I'm not happy with the amount of heat that is reaching the little ones room, and the heater is only about 5 feet from his door. I put plastic on all his windows and it still seems pretty cool in there.