Getting rid of ants in the Winnie's pants

Started by Oz, August 10, 2012, 10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

denandgigi

Sent: 7/27/2007 1:58 AM

Help!
How do you get rid of a nasty (big) group of fire ants that has decided to invade the sanctity of my (highly mobile) home??!!!
They've taken-up residence behind my walls and ceiling. The wife is really sensitive to pesticides and I've tried ant-gel bait (puts the ants to sleep for about 18 hrs) fire ant bait (dry granules-no effect) and those little metal, round traps (they go around these). Running out of options and time! Any "green", lower-tox methods that anyone can think of??? I guess I could dip the entire Winnie into a vat of liquid nitrogen....but no.
Thanks,
D-

Razee

Sent: 7/27/2007 2:52 AM

Have you tried boric acid?
http://www.grinningplanet.com/2004/04-27/ant-control-ant-killer-article.htm

Victor® also makes some poison free products.
http://www.saferbrand.com/ant_home.asp

Good luck to you in that battle

OldEdBrady

Sent: 7/27/2007 7:02 AM

If it's that infested, you're going to have to use something that is either poisonous, or drives them away.  Being "kind" to them just ain't gonna work.

How about those smoke bomb type things?  Set off a couple of them inside, and stay away for a few hours.  Then open her up and let her air out thoroughly.  It's not the most "green" way to do it, but it might be the most effective.

Bh19712

Sent: 7/27/2007 7:30 AM

Amdro would take care of them in a day or 2. Have had to use it before. Put just a little bit down near where you see the biggest concentration of them and they'll carry it back to the hive thinking it's food. Works great.  You can usually find Amdro at the local Walmart.

ibdilbert01

Sent: 7/27/2007 6:39 PM

I had the same issue when I bought my winnie last year. I tried all kinds of stuff and couldn't seem to get rid of them. I finally just broke down purchased foggers. I think the directions said one can would cover 15x15. The package I had came with three, I used all three at the same time.

I had also thought I had found the infestation in the kitchen cabinet inside the wall, so I stuck a can in the cabinet.

The foggers I bought said they keep working up to 30 days after, I assume they leave a residue, not sure.

Not sure how safe the chemicals were, but it did do the job.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

kimmy sue

Sent: 7/27/2007 7:52 PM

We've used crushed red pepper in the window tracks & behind the sinks.  Most ants come in for the water & follow all of your water lines, make sure that everything is sealed.  Also, sprinkle it behind the toilet.  They do not like hot stuff!!!

Kimmy Sue

tiinytina

Sent: 7/29/2007 2:40 PM

The old RV trick I've heard of is WD-40. Spray a 6" strip either side of your tires where they touch the ground.  Also spray your water lines etc. A non tox add on from a gf I have is to put either a slice of bread or a slice of apple where you see them most. Let is sit up to a day then toss and replace (as its full of ants), I put it onto a small plastic plate then shake and rinse the plate off.

Boric acid- Cut the boric acid 50/50 with sugar. The sugar attracts the ants into it.. the boric acid gets on their skin and eventually eats its way through, dessicating them and killing them.

Ant traps.. they do actually work but it takes a while. I use them in my house but need to replace them every 3 months.  We actually have a colony somewhere in our car.... tried the baits but I think the car gets too hot standing and the temps have scorched them. Contemplating bombing car but cleaning up the residue off interior surfaces is too much work....

Gone to the Dawgs crew
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

Coachmen1972

Sent: 8/12/2007 12:08 PM

Mind you, I'm the organic type, but bugs need to stay OUT. So, FOGGERS.....once a year, then ant traps during periods of non use. No bugs.

DanD2Soon

Sent: 8/12/2007 1:49 PM

We've used a product called Terro for years with great success - (click link for info:  Terro ) - The new product comes packed with tear-apart cardboard pads that you drip 4-5 drops of this stuff on and place where you suspect your problem sources are.  Then you reapply the liquid as it disappears.  It's available at virtually all the big-boxes, Wally-world, K-mart, etc. but ours came from our local Farm & Home store.  Don't waste your money on the packs with fancy "traps" included,  they carry the product back to their colonies anyway.  We keep one bottle of the liquid bait in the house and another on the 2 Soon - Both bottles are at least 3 years old - a little goes a long way.  As ants seem to be a seasonal or campsite change related problem,  we forget/neglect treatment when we don't see them & just reapply if/when we see them again - A couple days after retreating and we're back in control - great feeling!

We place the baits where our pets aren't likely to get into them, but there's nothing in it to hurt them - borax.  The cardboard pads are a bit of a pain as the product is kinda sticky and the pads flat & small. (awkward to handle and easy to set things on top of)  So, we use pop/water bottle caps turned upside down with 10-12 drops and place them on the counter either side of the sink, one just inside the shoreline compartment door, one in the bottom of the lav sink cabinet, a couple in the food pantry cabinet,  anyplace near where cords or hoses come into the RV, etc.

Oz

Sent: 8/12/2007 7:19 PM

I've used the same, Terro, Dan, and it is the only thing that works here too.  The ones I use come in a break pack of like 6, I think, and you just cut this little piece off and it makes a ramp for the ants to get to the liquid.  You can place them anywhere you want on a horizontal surface.  No sticky pads or anything.  Kills 'em quick too!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Razee

Sent: 8/12/2007 7:30 PM

@Dan, Using bottle caps is a great tip, Thanks.