Transmission Band Adjustments for 440

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 18, 2008, 04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 12/7/2004 7:15 AM

Excerpt from "Very Little or no Vacuum" Discussion by:  HeavyHaulTrucker:

"One thing that no one has mentioned is the adjustment for the kickdown band and the low/ reverse band.  I will relate these below.  The kickdown band adjustment is on the side of the tranny, just above the shift and kickdown levers.  The low reverse band adjustment is inside the pan, on the drivers side of the valve body, near the rear.  It looks like a piston with a rocker on it.  According to the Chrysler Service Manual, both of these adjustments are supposed to be done every 30,000 miles or 6 months.

Kickdown Band Adjustment:  Locate the kickdown adjuster on the drivers side of the transmission, just above the kickdown lever.  Clean around it well, so that the locknut will spin freely when loosened.  Loosen the locknut about 5 turns so that it does not bind the adjuster.  Turn the adjuster in by hand and tighten it to 72 inch/ pounds, then back it out 2 1/4 turns.  Hold the adjuster while tightening the locknut.  Done.

Low/ Reverse Band Adjustment:  (This is best done at time of fluid change) Drop the tranny pan.  Loosen the locknut about 5 turns so that it does not bind the adjuster.  Turn the adjuster in by hand and tighten it to 72 inch/ pounds, then back it out 2 1/4 turns.  Hold the adjuster while tightening the locknut.  Install new gasket on tranny pan & bolt it up.  Refill tranny with fluid.  Done."

John

Sent: 12/9/2004 10:07 PM

Please note:  I was wrong on the location of the Low/ Reverse Band adjuster.  It is actually on the other side of the valve body (passenger side); you can't miss it, though, because it is the only one there.

John

Sent: 12/26/2004 8:12 PM

Hey, thanks for that info. That's probably something I wouldn't have ever done. Now that I know about it, I'll be sure to make those adjustments!

John

Sent: 3/2/2005 1:26 AM

Can we assume the 413 uses the same tranny & has the same adjustments? Thanx.

Regards,

Robert Donley

Sent: 3/2/2005 5:24 AM

Yes, the transmission is just the same.