What's the difference between a class A, B, & C

Started by JohnandColeen, November 09, 2008, 05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnandColeen

Sent: 9/22/2002 2:40 AM

What is the difference between a class A ...class B ....class C  (etc.) Winnebago style?

Derrek

Sent: 9/22/2002 11:12 AM

Hi John & Coleen

A class A style motorhome is on a truck or bus chassis with the dimensions of the front of the motorhome being the same as the rear.

Class C motorhomes are on a van chassis with the front of the motorhome being a smaller van cab and then widens out to the motorhome body and usually has an overhang over the van cab where the additional bunk is located.

Class B is usually refered to as a "Roadtrek".They are vans with fiberglass tops to increase interior height and some even have popup tops.They are self contained units such as the class A and C. The selling point of a class B is that they are similar in size to a full size van and thus easier to drive than the A or C. Being that the class C is built on a van chassis the are limited in size compared to a class A, which can vary greatly in size with the use of a bus chassis.

HandyDan

Class B

Class A

Class C

There are some vehicles out there that kind of fall in between each category but this is the gist of it.
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

HandyDan

As far as Class C being limited in size, you may want to rethink that, or do you consider this a Class C?  I don't know what the one below is categorized. 

1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

Oz

Those are a different class from A, B, or C.  I've seen the classification used but darned if I can remember it.  I just call it a class "H" =  Holy-crapola, that's an RV on steroids!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

joanfenn

I found something that classifies them as motorcoaches. ??? Or Super C's.